Ruger M-77 .260

Help Support Ruger Forum:

patrickjames

Single-Sixer
Anybody shoot the the .260 Remington in a Ruger bolt action?What factory ammo or reloads do you use?I bought a model 77 a few years back and not shot it alot.I have only used AA2520 powder and 120 gr. bullet,but it's not very accurate with this combination.I was able to get a one inch group at a 100 yards with federal factory ammo with a 140 gr. trophy bear claw bullet but it's expensive.

jn 41

Single-Sixer
Try some 140 gr bullets. Any of the standard bullets(hornady, speer, sierra, remington) work fine on deer sized game. Several members of my family have ruger's in 260 and they all are very happy with them. As for powder I think they use H4831 and RELOADER 19, not sure on the weight of the charge. I would think Hornady's 129gr spire point would be an excellent bullet also. good luck jn

boaman88

Bearcat
Mine is in the 77 Compact. My favorite whitetail rifle now. I tend to stick to 140 gr factory ammo. Have shot Georgia Arms 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip ammo as well. Mine is not picky at all. It shoots just about everything the same if I do my part. I can easily get groups under 1 inch at 100 yards. My favorite was Federal with 140 gr Gamekings. They have since gotten too expensive. Most of what I shoot now for practice is just plain old 140 gr Remington Corelocks. Does fine with those to. I have been waiting to see the load Silver State Armory comes up with. Its just listed as coming soon, but I suspect it will be Nosler Accubonds. If the price is right that may be my next choice.

The biggest surprise to me is that the short barrel has not hurt at all. I'm getting very little drop at 200 yards and the groups are not a whole lot bigger.

kvnsll

Bearcat
I use Hornady 129 grian bullets and Varget powder and am very happy with it. Mine is the stainless version, I got it to hunt with in any weather. I shot a hog and the 260 destroyed the off shoulder, but he was down right there.

Latest posts