Ruger letter of Authenticity

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Anyone know the typical turnaround time on receiving a letter of authentication from Ruger? I sent out a request with a 10.00 check over a month ago. They still haven't cashed so I'm thinking it's a long process?

hittman

Staff member

Maybe this recent thread will help

hittman

Staff member
More info ….

I haven't requested any since last May-June, but turn around was getting pretty quick averaging 2 weeks or less. Last winter it was taking about a month give or take a few days.

Hk996

Bearcat
Do these letters help with value? I just picked up my 357 max and it came with a letter that was dated 2019 but listed manufacture dates and which gun store first sold it.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I would think it helps on guns made Decades ago, so modern I'm thinking not. I was given a '66 made Ruger 44 carbine a few months ago by a friend. It was his dads who passed away. I sent off for the certificate and it came to me in about 2 weeks, super efficient on that end. Wish they were that effective in having pile of stock parts for the things!
The letter stated that the carbine was sold in a gun shop in the Bronx for $106. it was certainly worth the small investment to just get that information.

I would think it helps on guns made Decades ago, so modern I'm thinking not...

One exception to that might be unusual factory guns. Somebody recently posted about a limited run of two-tone (stainless & blue) .22 pistols, and how they might be mistaken for 'parts guns'. A letter proving that a gun was one of a limited run of factory guns (rather than a home gunsmithin' project ;>) would probably be worth having!

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Do these letters help with value? I just picked up my 357 max and it came with a letter that was dated 2019 but listed manufacture dates and which gun store first sold it.
In most cases probably not. But I do get them for my older rugers.

The latest date Ruger that I have an LOA for is a Standard Pistol (RST4-S) in stainless.

hittman

Staff member
Some sellers think a factory letter can add $50 to $100 or more to the guns value.
Most buyers don't unless there's something spectacular about the gun or the info in the letter. (Delivered to a celebrity, etc.)

I think S&W charges $100 for a letter and Colt gets maybe $150. Those brands are considerably older and have a much wider audience than Ruger.

Ruger charges a whopping $10 for their letter which is an excellent value. I get a letter on some older pieces or guns with certain oddities. I lettered a Mini 14 with factory folding stock only to see if it WAS in fact made that way or the stock was added later. Darn the bad luck it is NOT a factory made folder. Good news is, I own it.

For me, having the $10 letter adds credibility to what I'm selling and removes doubt from a potential buyers mind about the guns age, etc.

contender

Ruger Guru
A big PLUS 1 to Ale-8(1)'s post.

Often,, we see a gun that someone swears "It came from the factory that way. My daddy bought it new!" Especially when they think they have a rare gun,,, or are trying to get a premium.
I get letters on all my Rugers. A cheap investment,, that sometimes,, points to a truly rarer piece. And then the fact I can prove it was built the way it is,, can seriously add to a guns value IF it were to sell. OR,, or a letter can help for an insurance claim. Verify it's rarity,, and insurance values increase.