Ruger LCR vs Ruger SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
We have both, and we like the LCR's, wife is 65 yrs old, 103lbs and she is deadly at 7 to 10 yrds. She shoots at least 50 rds at a time and our standard practice load is 4.0 grs of Unique. SP is too heavy, great gun but when fishing on the river or hikin the mts the LCR will be what we pack. For me though I wish someone made a little longer grip but I still like them just fine. We got a decent deal by buying 2 at a time.

Mcdaddy

Bearcat
I know this does not answer the question specifically; however, I went this route. I have a Ruger LCP not a LCR and .just bought the SP101 in 2.25 .357. Solves my conceal issue and knock you off of your feet issue.

Ky Bob

Bearcat
Rick Courtright":2ohaqoh3 said:
Hi,

Just personal opinion, but it seems to me the LCR is designed to be sold to those who want minimal weight, carried, but not shot a lot.

Rick C

Exactly.........

patcannon

Single-Sixer
I carry an SP101 and it's not too heavy IMHO. I like .357 Magnum. If I was not going to be carrying the gun concealed, though, I'd go with a 4 or 5 inch GP100. In fact for purely home defense I'd go with a 12 gauge. Vastly more effective AND cheaper.

BobG

Bearcat
Well, I don't have an LCR, but I have shot my SP extensively from about 7 yards out to 50 yards. I used to shoot gallon milk jugs at 50 yards had no problem connecting with the SP. I know a std target would give you a better idea of accuracy, but what can I say - I was bored with paper targets and the milk jugs were a lot of fun. I've never been disappointed in the SP for any reason.
Bob

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Since your concealed carry will be limited if it were me I'd go with the SP.

I have a SP 9mm W/2.25"bbl which is unfired.. I have shot other SP's and they are real nice. It's a fine gun. I have the LCR and it's strictly my carry gun now. For CCW you can't beat a LCR. To use at a range or informal shooting I'd go with the SP. I know the LCR is well made but I don't believe it will hold up as well as a SP. I don't think it was designed for the constant pounding of the +P and all that much range use.

A

Anonymous

Had a 101 to heavy for concealed carry got RID OF IT end of story consider Ruger LCR or any of the SW J frames for CCW

patcannon

Single-Sixer
If you need to pocket carry or otherwise be super discreet I'd say get the LCR, but with a good belt and an IWB holster the SP101 is not at all to heavy for concealed carry. Maybe I say that 'cause I used to carry a 1911.

Anyway, here's 22 grains of H110 launching a 125 gr JHP out of my SP. Can't do that with a .38 Special. I figure if I get in a gunfight, I want everybody else in the area to pee their pants too.

patmuzzleflash640x380.jpg

JC676

Bearcat
Pat,

I so agree with you. For the life of me, I can't figure out why most everyone thinks the SP is too heavy for CCW use. My 3-incher goes everywhere with me in a quality holster (Simply Rugged) with a quality belt designed for supporting a weapon. If anything, I find the weight of the little SP to be reassuring.

Regards,
Jon