Ruger LCR vs Ruger SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bert Felton

Bearcat
I am thinking of purchasing a small revolver. How do you compare the accuracy and use of the Ruger LCR vs. the Ruger 101 (not the model that uses the 327 Federal.)?

I currently own a single six and Mark I. I want something which is lighter and can be used for home self defense as well at least scaring off a bear. The latter is not as important. I live in California and am contemplating getting a license to carry from Utah. I can't get one for California.

Thanks,
Bert

kscott

Single-Sixer
I can't really personally compare the difference in accuracy, but if the SP101 had the smallest barrel, I would say they are pretty well identical (at least in my hands). The SP is going to be a little easier to shoot because its weight will make the perceived recoil less. On the other hand, the LCR is much lighter and I personally don't think it is unmanageable by any stretch of the imagination (for me). With its Hogue grips, the recoil is actually pretty easy to handle.

By the way,you may have more luck with this in the revolver section of the forum.

NOTE: Went ahead and posted my response here so that others can agree or disagree with me. :wink:

DPris

Buckeye
I have a .357 SP101 & I've spent some time with the LCR.
The SP far outshoots the LCR in accuracy.
Ruger considers the LCR a 15-yard gun, the SP can easily do well beyond 25 yards with a good load.

The LCR is much lighter, if that's a consideration.
The SP offers a choice of single-action or double-action trigger pulls, the LCR doesn't.

The SP offers a choice of .38 Special or .357 Magnum loads, the LCR doesn't.

The SP will be a more durable gun over the long run, IF you plan to shoot whichever one you choose a LOT.

The LCR will probably be more concealable, depending on the grip. The rubber Hogues are fairly bulky. The SP barrel is longer.

If California still has the same restrictions, your Utah permit won't allow you to carry a concealed handgun in your state.

Denis

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Just personal opinion, but it seems to me the LCR is designed to be sold to those who want minimal weight, carried, but not shot a lot.

OTOH, it appears the SP's designed to be shot. As much as you wish? W/ .357s I find that might not be a lot (comparing my brother in law's 3" SP to my 3" GP), but w/ .38s it's quite pleasant.

Not sure how the LCR will do if you like to shoot it a lot... I imagine a few people have put enough rounds thru theirs by now to give us some first hand input?

Rick C

DPris

Buckeye
OK,
LCR recoil's not pleasant with +Ps, Hogue grips tore skin twice for me, not very accurate off the bench at 25 yards.
Denis

bjec1248

Bearcat
Rick Courtright":ns7n46ua said:
Hi,

Just personal opinion, but it seems to me the LCR is designed to be sold to those who want minimal weight, carried, but not shot a lot.

OTOH, it appears the SP's designed to be shot. As much as you wish? W/ .357s I find that might not be a lot (comparing my brother in law's 3" SP to my 3" GP), but w/ .38s it's quite pleasant.

Not sure how the LCR will do if you like to shoot it a lot... I imagine a few people have put enough rounds thru theirs by now to give us some first hand input?

Rick C

I have both, Rick hit it just right. the LCR is a fine carry gun but I don't take it to the range to relax by shooting a few hundred rounds thru it. the 101 you can shoot all day, but then there's no comparison on ease of carry. depends on which is more important to you....

I went out and rented an SP101 before I bought my LCR. The SP is NOT fun to shoot with .357s, but as accurate as the LCR at 7 yards. Much better out to 25 yards. But I have shot 100 .38 specials at the range often and it is enjoyable. The Hogue grips and the great trigger more than compensate for the short barrel and light weight of the LCR. The LCR, at half the weight of the SP101 (13.5 oz.), is by far the better carry.
38 +P are not as fun, and not for 100 rounds.

No question that .357 is a better stopper, but more chance for collateral damage in self defense situations. Decisions, decisions. Better get one of each.

smokehouse

Bearcat
RUT":2cserkgx said:
Apples/Oranges

I agree with this and many in this post...

I too am in the market for a small defensive pistol. Unfortunately I do not have the option for concealed carry in my state or I would go with the LCR.

Doing research for some time now I have gathered this:

SP101:
-Pleasant .38 and .38 +P...spirited but not insane with .357

-Heavy...almost too heavy for a CCW

-Built like a mini tank, will take range abuse for many years with nearly any round you want to run through it

-SA good/very good, DA ok...needs a spring kit...

LCR:
-Decent with .38...fairly punishing with +P

-Super light, perfect for CCW

-Not convinced about this firearm for long term use...this is not a range blaster, in my opinion, flame cutting seems to be an issue if you run a ton of rounds through it.

-SA N/A, DA amazing for a stock gun...could always be better but for a stock setup, it's great.

So...in review...

You want a long term reliable range blaster and you're willing to live with the weight (25oz) for CCW...get the SP101..

You want to familiarize yourself with the weapon then rarely shoot it but carry it everyday...get the LCR...

For me...I'm going with the SP...I want a .357, welcome the extra weight for hotter loads, will use it a ton at the range for a fun gun and again, the weight will help as this will be my wife's night stand home defense pistol when I'm out of town. Besides, I can't carry anyway.

One last thing...if you can scrape the funds...save up and get them both because like RUT said, they really are apples and oranges in terms of designed purpose...

harrydog

Bearcat
One last thing...if you can scrape the funds...save up and get them both because like RUT said, they really are apples and oranges in terms of designed purpose...
I agree. They're very different firearms and it would be nice to own both but if I could own only one it would be the SP.

VictimNoMore

Bearcat
I put about 50 rounds per week through my LCR, all medium-hot reloads. The gun is actually fun to shoot with these.

Factory loads (and +Ps)? Not so much.

As others have said...if concealment is your #1 priority, the LCR is the gun for you. If range fun is #1, then the SP101 is the gun for you.

The LCR is insanely light and comfortable on my hip (4 o'clock) all day long. And, I am comfortable knowing that five .38 +P rounds are there should I ever need it (and I pray that I never will need it).

The grip of the gun is the hard part to conceal; I constantly make sure that it is angled so that that it minimally "prints" with my clothing.

Thunderhawk

Single-Sixer
Like it was said earlier, a Utah permit will not allow you to carry here in Ca. Make sure that you are right on not being able to get a CCW in your county. Some counties are very CCW friendly.
As far as the comparison, one of my CCW guns is a 3" SP101. I have fired the LCR, and just didn't like the feel of it.

Denny

Single-Sixer
You are comparing a stainless steel .357 with a polymer 38 special its not an easy task to say the least. Is weight a concern I pack my SP 101 loaded with 357 ammo for plinking I relaod some light stuff. In my humble opinion a comparison would be difficult

KCUB

Bearcat
If you want Sasquatch to make jerky out of you, get the LCR.

If you want to make jerky out of Sasquatch, get the SP101.

TYFOON

Bearcat
People really need to shoot the LCR. It is quite accurate well beyond 7 yards. I was grouping less than 4-8"w/ 158 gr Magtech LRN @30 yards a couple of days ago and I frankly shoot so-so. I qualified marksman at the last IDPA qualifier by 2 points!

Anyone who practices more can do better but the LCR is quite accurate and I attribute it mostly to the trigger. Wow.

Foon

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
Bert Felton":2u1gjnk8 said:
I am thinking of purchasing a small revolver. How do you compare the accuracy and use of the Ruger LCR vs. the Ruger 101 (not the model that uses the 327 Federal.)?

I currently own a single six and Mark I. I want something which is lighter and can be used for home self defense as well at least scaring off a bear. The latter is not as important. I live in California and am contemplating getting a license to carry from Utah. I can't get one for California.

Thanks,
Bert
Welcome to the forum, Bert. And thanks for asking our advice.

I agree with all the prior posts, they have good information.

I have fired just a few rounds through the LCR (at a live-fire demonstration day at my local range) and own Security Sixes, SP101s and GP100s. The SP is difficult to master because of its short barrel and light (compared to the GP and SSix). I suggest you consider the GP100 4" or 6" for home defense and for open carry (woods gun).

Your hand will hold up better to full-power loads with the heavier gun and at home the concealability factor virtually disappears. For open carry while hiking/fishing etc. the GP is still superior to the SP, though the weight is a bit of a drawback. If you are one of those backpackers who shortens his toothbrush handle to save weight, well, the SP might be for you.

If I were expecting to have to defend myself against a Black or Brown bear, a 200 grain 357 slug from an SP101 would not be my first choice. From a GP, it is much easier to shoot, and folowup shots would be more controllable. And practice much more fun, too.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep

luvmylcr

Bearcat
Purchased a LCR for concealed carry. Works great with a Galco leather holster. I also added HI-VIZ fiber optic front sight that work very well. Definately not a range gun. Mine has the Hoge grips which eliminates some of the recoil but not enough. Hate to think what it fells like with the Crimson Trace grips. I have shot a couple of hundred rounds just to make sure I am comfortable with the LCR as my daily carry gun and to test its accuracy. Its a fine shooting gun but after 100 rounds it gets punishing. The trigger action is very smooth and I am very happy with my LCR. I did own an SP101 and its a great revolver. A little heavy for my taste as a carry gun but you can shoot it all day.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
I can't do a comparison but my LCR has a great out-of-the-box trigger and is reasonably accurate at 10 yds. I like it a lot. However, it is a BUG with a 45ACP 1911 being my primary carry gun. :mrgreen: