Ruger LCR Hi Viz sight install with pics

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JDP_12

Bearcat
Got my new Hi Viz front sight for the LCR. I was going to have it installed by a gunsmith, but decided it seemed simple enough to do myself - and it was. I think things would go a bit easier with a padded vice. I did it all on my kitchen table, and it probably took 30 minutes or less.

IMG_0408.jpg

Since the sight comes with no instructions, or list of tools required, here's what you'll need: hammer, needle-nose pliers, 1/16" punch, or better yet, a 3/64" punch, something soft to work on (or a vice).

1) Check, double check, and triple check that the gun is UNLOADED. Start by drifting out the roll pin with a hammer and the punch. I found the 1/16" punch to be okay, however it does bind a bit in the hole of the sight stud. As the pin starts to come out, and mine took some pretty hard whacks, you should be able to grab it with the pliers and pull it free. Here a pic with the factory sight still on the barrel, but the pin has been removed (out the other side):

IMG_0414.jpg

2) Now that the pin is free, the factory sight will lift straight up. This will take a bit of force to get the sight off the stud. Again, use your needle-nosed pliers, padded with a rag so you don't scratch the finish. Here's a few pics of the sight removed, and set on the table:

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

That silver colored scratch around the stud-hole is from the 1/16" punch I think. It looks worse than it is - but just be careful. I think the smaller (3/64" punch, which I didn't have) may work a bit better. Nonetheless, no real harm was done. It's cosmetic, and will be covered up anyway.

3) Now it's time to set the new Hi Viz front sight on. The sight does come with a new roll pin. After removing the old one, it may be slightly bent from being pounded out. I decided to use the new roll pin provided. It's a TIGHT fit both into the new sight, and the hole in the stud. Get it started by lining it up and gently tapping. I found it easier to get it started in the sight first, then place the sight over the stud, and gently begin tapping it into place using the hammer and punch. Once started, it will take some forceful taps to seat the pin all the way through. Here's a few pics of the pin part of the way though:

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

4) Now you're just about done. Be careful as the pin makes it way through. It will take some force. You don't want to bang up the finish on the barrel or the new sight with your punch. Just keep watching as it gets closer to flush, and be sure the punch doesn't slip off. Here's the pin set flush and the sight installed:

IMG_0422.jpg

Voila! Complete! All in all, fairly easy with the right tools, a gentle touch, and some patience. Here's some pics of the finished product...

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

Now it's off to the range for a test-run, hopefully this weekend. From what I can tell the sight picture will be virtually the same. I'll confirm point of aim vs. point of impact and report back.

Wild Bill '67

Single-Sixer
Great job JDP_12!!!

A little elbow grease and you made a great CCW revolver even better. Those pics really show the difference with the Hi Viz.

That was a great job on the illustrations and instructions. Maybe you should get paid to write all kinds. I can't decipher half of the instructions for the kids stuff and I don't speak or read French or Swahilli.

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
looks great! Love that photo showing the new sight with the rear sight in view. Am thinking of doing it to mine now that I've seen yours.

cpallenjr

Bearcat
Great macto photography! The step by step instructions are perfect - this will sell alot of product for Hi Viz.

Good work!

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
Did the new sight change your POI? The reason I ask is that my LCR hits approximately 1.5 inches left of center at 25 feet. I have tried several different types of ammunition and the POI is consistent.

A

Anonymous

I agree JDP-12 you did a great job in your photographs and you instructions.
I ordered two sets form my two LCR. I decided to take of the old sights while waiting for the HI-VIZ sights to arrive. should be in by Friday.
I have bad eyes ( reason for the HI-VIZ sights) I did not notice the shroud around the roll pin, thinking it was the pin it self, not so, folks look at the pictures and you will see that the protrusion on the sights is just a shroud around the pin, so you do need a very small drift punch to remove the pin without hitting the shroud. I did not notice that on removing the pin on the first LCR and did have to whack it rather hard to get the pin to move as I was also hitting the shroud ( remember bad eyes). On the second LCR pin removal I used a very small drift punch and did not have to hit it hard at all
Removing the pin does not remove the front sight, you need to use a very thin blade to gently slide under the back of the sight and lift it up then go the from end and do the same and back to back end, etc, keep moving the sight up a little at a time. front to back, back to front and it will pop off.
So we all need to thanks JDP-12 for his information, I know I do.

The HI-VIZ comes in red as well as green, ( I got green as well).
Reason for green? I have Crimson Trace grips on both LCR. If it all works out I will put the "red over the green".

Answer to night sights. Yes the sights are visible at night, some have a different color for the front sight and another color for the two rear sights posts, three dots, two rear are the same, one different color for the front.
Most if not all are radioactive, tritium (a very weak beta emitter) in a small glass vile. I had Wilson Combat rebuild my Colt Model 11 that has Wilson night sights on it, works great for me.[/u]

JDP_12

Bearcat
Tslepebull":xqlzovvu said:
Did the new sight change your POI? The reason I ask is that my LCR hits approximately 1.5 inches left of center at 25 feet. I have tried several different types of ammunition and the POI is consistent.
I didn't have a chance to shoot it over the weekend, with the holiday and all. I'll get to the range this week and check the POI. 1 1/2" left at 25 feet . . . hmm. Are you shooting it from a bench with a rest? The reason I ask is usually left hits are indicative if trigger control. And don't forget - this is not a target gun! I'd say 1 1/2" out is MORE than enough accuracy for me, with a 2" barrel at 25 feet!

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
Here is my LCR today. 10 Shots 30 feet sitting on a chair facing backwards. Not bad out of a snubby. With more practice I'm sure I can close it up, but still all qualify as head shots.

IMG_0222.jpg

TJB

Bearcat
JDP ~ Just wanted to Thank You for this Post, I just installed the exact sight on my LCR and after searching for Exploded Views on the Sight assy (And Finding Nothing) I came across your old Post.

Once I saw your post I realized the Sight pops off straight up, I was thinking it was in somekind of Groove or Something and needed to slide off towards the front and I've even heard some were Loctited on, But You made it easy with outstanding Photography Work.

Thanks Again, Mission Accomplished!

TJ

Boge

Single-Sixer
Just a heads up: I replaced the stock ramp blade on my LCR .357 with a Novak tritium sight and it RUINED my POA!! Whereas with the blade I was DEAD NUTS on with almost everything out to 15 yds. it then shot SIX INCHES low & a hair to the left!! I stripped that puppy off in a heartbeat & took it back. Reinstalled the factory blade and back to dead nuts on. :shock:

I hope you have better luck with your aftermarket sight.

ASRuger

Single-Sixer
Boge, I have the round big dot tritium front sight on mine and going by the manual, the top of the round dot is above the rear sight edges. I have been interested in that Novak sight and it looks like the big square is too tall if you try to use the standard notch/post sight picture. Are you supposed to shoot it with most of the square above the rear notch?

Boge

Single-Sixer
ASRuger said:
Boge, I have the round big dot tritium front sight on mine and going by the manual, the top of the round dot is above the rear sight edges. I have been interested in that Novak sight and it looks like the big square is too tall if you try to use the standard notch/post sight picture. Are you supposed to shoot it with most of the square above the rear notch?

Yes, you would have to use a "combat" sight hold which I despise, i.e., covering the target. With the factory blade I merely align all three flush and the bullets strike exactly where the top of the blade is centered.

To me having the trits on the LCR was not that important as it's a backup gun pocket carried mostly and if I ever needed it it would be at contact range most likely anyway and since I don't hang around Dracula's crypt at Midnight......... :lol: :wink:

GeorgiaShooter

Bearcat
REALLY appreciate this thread and instructions. I think I like this even more than the tritium dot model available. Not sure if I would like the red but my eyes work much faster with a glow in the dark indicator like this. Does this sight have to be soaked in light for a short time before it will then glow?

cphilip

Bearcat
I think this roll pin sort of attachment is the same exact set up used in the GP adjustable sight and the Redhawks including the Alaskan? Those two are on my list of guns to change out so that is why I ask.

Latest posts