Ruger lcr 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

silverback

Blackhawk
I recently picked up a service six and i began to think about an lcr 9mm again.

Uses to have sp101 357 but the blast and weight were more than I wanted.

I did have a taurus 905 which was a sweet little gun but have it up for a kel tec p11
now that is a real keeper. 13 rounds loaded less weight than glock 26 unloaded. It has been around for a while and has earned good reputation for reliability. Of course trigger not to my liking so I switched that out.

Still the 9mm revolver keeps calling my name.
Interested in the lcr as I want a light carry revolver and want to have some range fun.

My concern is felt recoil. I have heard that it does smack your palm . I like to shoot often and dont want that buzzing feeling in.my hand.

Any first hand feed back would be appreciated

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
The LCR 9mm kicks really hard. I had one and sold it after about 100 rounds. I even put the large grips on it and it was still painful. I think the SP101 would be a better choice in 9mm. The LCR is great in 38.

I have one. I haven't found it to be that unpleasant. It's certainly more pleasant than an Airweight S&W J Frame shooting .38 +P ammo, mostly because of the bigger squishy rubber grips on the LCR.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have one,, but it's still NIB. I've had it a couple of years I think, but never bothered to shoot it.

Felt recoil is very subjective. What one person feels is ok, may be rough to another, & a pussycat to a third person. Only you can determine how it will feel to your hands. The best thing would be to find someone with one to test fire.

unionprez

Single-Sixer
I've had one for a few years now, it's my everyday carry gun. I put the same grip that comes with the LCRx 3" revolvers and the recoil isn't bad at all. The recoil wasn't terrible with the original grips, but the larger ones fit my hand better. With 147 grain bullets, it's right on at 24 feet.

silverback

Blackhawk
Unfortunately I havent run across anyone who has one yet. Yes I know recoil is subjective but this is the only way I can gather information right now. It seems it's a 50 - 50 split either it's bad or ok. Kind of back to square one. I hate to spend just to give it a try. The only range that might have one is an expensive indoor range and the for the cost of a test drive would be about 1/4 of the price of purchase if they have one. They want you to take a class , watch video, buy their ammo and rent their gun. Bs.

If I remember correctly those air weights are uncomfortable in 357.

Oh well the quest continues.

Keep those comments coming!

I appreciate it.

contender

Ruger Guru
I understand your thoughts. But as an instructor, I always tell my students that "fit & comfort" is paramount to pleasant shooting. As I mentioned, recoil is a subjective issue.
And when dealing with a caliber such as the 9mm,,, where you have a small case, filled with a faster burning powder, subject to pressure spikes, depending upon bullet weight, and seating depth, all of that affects felt recoil.
If you reload, you can always find a more comfortable load to enjoy shooting, by loading it down somewhat. In a revolver, you do not have the necessity of having power to operate the action as you would need in a semi-auto. But if you shoot factory stuff,, you'd have to try several types of ammo to find a softer one vs. a stouter one.
In my teaching,, I've seen small framed & small handed ladies handle a stout caliber (44 mag,) while a bigger framed & handed lady cringe at a normal 9mm. Even with proper instruction on how to grip, and finding a gun that feels right to them, they still can have issues. You truly will not get a definitive answer until you actually try one. And even then, a lot can depend upon the ammo you use.

If you were closer to me,, we'd christen mine for you! :D :D

silverback

Blackhawk
I sure wish I was there. I am with you on finding right grip and load. I really didnt think about loading down for range time. Good suggestion.
I have just gone through several gp100's with in the past several months to finally end up with the gp-160 and a service six. Both very nice shooters. So the thought of buying an lcr just to try out really doesnt appeal to me right now. Lol.... although it might be the only way I get to.put my hands in one.

I just got a buyer for the gp100....