Ruger Laminate Compact

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2Lloyd

Bearcat
This rifle comes in two calibers of interest to me, the .308 and the 7mm-08, but I have two concerns, velocity loss in the short (16 1/2 ") barrel, and a even greater concern about the very short stock (12 1/2" length of pull).

The Ruger Scout model has a similar barrel and stock length, but the stock is adjustable with fillers. The Scouts clip and muzzle hardware doesn't appeal to me. I know from being next to it on a range it would be very hard on the unprotected ears.

Perhaps the Compact magnum ( in .308) )would suit be better, but I've not been able to hold one. I like its longer (20") barrel and stock, but it doesn't come in a laminate stock, which I do like.

Looking for comments on velocity loss, adjusting the stock, and perhaps getting a different stock for the laminate compact magnum.

RJ556

Buckeye
Loyd, I used to shoot pistols in 308 Win with 14" and 16" Barrels and I was suprised at how close the velocities were to rifle velocities. I would not let the 16.5" barrel concern me at all. However, very light, short carbines can be a challenge to shoot accutately. I can shoot a 7.5 pound rifle much more accurately than I can a 6.5 pound rifle. I am a stainless steel rifle freak, but I would go for the Compact magnum in a heart beat. It is such a beautiful, well proportioned rifle and has factory iron sights to boot.

Kanook

Buckeye
What clothing do you where when you hunt?

The reason I ask is this, I use a compact 308, 6.8spc, and my wifes uses a 260. When we hunt we have on a thick hunting jacket. Your fit changes because of the jacket.

My LOP is 15". put on the jacket that is 2" thick and now I should be using a 13" LOP stock.

I am not concerned about the noise or report of the rifle because we use electronic muffs. And with any luck this year we will be using electronic ear plugs.

2Lloyd

Bearcat
to RJ556 ... I too like a heavier rifle. I sure would like to hold a compact magnum, but not yet found one in the gunshops of three states. Last week I visited a Cabelas in Hartfort Conn and a Bass Pro Shop in Auburn NY and no compact magnums. However, I don't expect to buy until after this deer season as I have a model 71 Winchester that I hope to make one kill with first.

to Kanook ... Deer hunting in upstate New York requires more than a tee shirt for sure. The easily adjustable system the scout has would be useful. I use muffs at the range, but while hunting my very expensive hearing aids will be in place ..

pcgod

Bearcat
You will lose velocity. I own a compact in 308 and have found a significant decrease. Here is some data that gives you an idea:

150 gr: start = 44 Varget for 2522 fps, max = 47 Varget for 2675 fps

165 gr: start = 42 Varget for 2384 fps, max = 46 Varget for 2576 fps

180 gr: start = 41 Varget for 2274 fps, max = 45 Varget for 2480 fps

This is Hodgdon data for a 15" encore in 308. I have found this to be pretty close for the compact.

The length of pull is a simple fix. I started with a slip on limbsaver recoil pad. Then if you are hunting in the winter with heavy clothes take it off.
Recently I have taken it off and just shoot it without. That does take a little practice but it works. I am 6 ft so even larger folks can do this

RJ556

Buckeye
pcgod, I mostly shot 150 grain loads in my 308 pistols. I suppose there is more velocity loss with the heavier bullets, but a deer will never know the difference, under 300 yards.

pcgod

Bearcat
RJ556 said:
pcgod, I mostly shot 150 grain loads in my 308 pistols. I suppose there is more velocity loss with the heavier bullets, but a deer will never know the difference, under 300 yards.

You are, of course, correct. I consider these rifles a 200 yd gun, however you would be ok out to 300 I'm sure. They fit my style of hunting and are accurate enough for me.

kooz

Blackhawk
I have one in .308 and love it. By the time I get some hunting clothes on the LOP is just right. They are a joy to carry and quick to get on target. I killed a young bull elk a couple years ago and two antelope last week with it so far, first antelope was at 210yds and the second at 425yds, neither of them seemed to notice a velocity loss and now reside in my freezer. Great guns and very accurate. Good luck with your decision, the compact magnum is a nice looking gun, but I wish it was available in stainless for the .308.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
We've got a Frontier in 7mm-08. Basically a Compact with a rib. One of our absolute favorite rifles.

No doubt it loses velocity compared to a longer barrel but I really couldn't care because it is accurate & very handy. The 12.5" LOP is a little short in some circumstances but not a big deal. Easiest fix if you don't like it is to add a 1-inch Pachmayr (or similar) recoil pad.

I'll also add that since buying this rifle I've developed tremendous respect for the 7mm-08 cartridge.