Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle info

Help Support Ruger Forum:

glock269

Bearcat
I'm interested in the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in .308. Any info pro or con would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Pete.

Snake45

Hawkeye
There are many threads about this rifle here. Run some searches in this subforum and you're sure to find several.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
Yes, there are a number of threads here....
But, I love mine.
Plan on putting a AAC suppressor on it in the future, to help with the loudness of the short barrel.
The stock is very customizable.
It allows multiple mounting for scopes, too.

Lateck,

Lateck

Single-Sixer
silverback said:
has anyone tried Russian ammo in the GSR?
I have. I can't tell the difference. But, I'm not an expert, so I do not buy ammo for moa shooting. Just plinking.
No feeding issues.

Lateck,

silverback

Blackhawk
I saw on one gun review where they used wolff as well. No I am convinced this is the rifle I should seek. My savage 99e 308 lever can't extract them. I have about 3000 rounds that I had purchased long before the craze when I had a vepr. Now I want to use them so the GSR will be my next hunt. Like you I am not interested so much in small MOA's I want to an all around gun that does a little bit of everything. I also think with the PWS comp it would be a super nice rifle.

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_ruger_m77-gs_p1.php

seen and hear din action. superb mod.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=127&idcategory=6

I have not shot any Russian ammunition in my GSR. I have fired some South African surplus 147 grain stuff that works find. I will look around the Net and see what I can find on the topic. It would be nice to use up that stash of 308 you have and the GSR would be great for that if we can confirm that the rifle has no issues.

Tell you what, send me 100 rounds of that Russian ammunition and I will let you know how mine likes it. :p

Bill

silverback

Blackhawk
I am going to go out on a limb with this post.

My intent is to acquire more information and stimulate conversation.

I am just your every Joe looking for a rifle that I can shoot as cheaply as possible and use for range plinking, hunting, SD if needed.

when shooting a rifle I prefer to learn its characteristics at varying distance from 100 to 300 yards using iron sights (call me old school) before i would even consider an optic.

This requires many trips and rounds down range.

I like to go weekly if possible to maintain and improve my skills.

I don't understand having a rifle and only taking it out once or twice a year to shoot 20 rounds or so for pin point accuracy then clean it and put it back in the safe.

It's like my handguns they get weekly use.

I do intend to reload the .308. I am currently building a stash of brass. That to me means several thousand cases.

In the mean time i would like to take the rifle out for weekly fun.

My understanding is that if it a rifle accepts nato ammo then it would accept standard ammo with no issue but not the other way round.

I have read that the GSR is to be one rifle for many uses. I interpret that to mean rugged, super reliable and accurate enough to get the job done.

I don't understand why ruger and other American manufactures wouldn't test and or set there rifles up to accept Russian, steel case or surplus Nato ammo in the first place. I am not interested in a super tack driving rifle that would require expensive ammo.

The newer production of steel case ammo is polymer coated to avoid the old issues related to lacquer coating.

I would rather purchase a GSR or similar and support the "buy American" ideal.

The rifle's present configuration almost forces me to look at the Vepr or saiga style rifles to meet my needs. They can shoot the cheaper ammo all day long with no ill affects and can still shoot the more expensive stuff or reloads if so desired. Now I do understand that the accuracy potential may not be the same but it is acceptable.

I called ruger today and they said that they don't test their rifles with the steel case ammo and there for can not offer any information regarding its effectiveness. Actually, they referred me to our forum for information regarding this issue.

So are there any shooters out there that are looking for the same thing i am?

anyone who regularly uses steel case ammo for plinking fun in the GSR?

silverback

Blackhawk
I had further discussion on my post for our sister forum:

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-bolt-action/84550-gunsite-ammo.html

very informative. I guess I had never really looked at this issue so closely as I always had a Russian semi auto 308.

this surely makes me rethink my up and coming purchase. I really want a Ruger GSR and yet want to shoot as cheaply as possible, not be limited to certain ammo choices. I know myself well enough to know that I will always want to purchase and use the steel case ammo for its low cost. I will in the meantime build a large stash of brass to reload and hopefully save more money.

I guess I am headed to VEPRLAND once again. It's a shame but it looks like the GSR will have to wait for better financial times.

I think what this post needs is a photo or three of a Ruger Scout. 8)

Never shot any Russian ammunition but have shot lots of cheap 308. Some reloads and some surplus from all over the world. I can get solid hits on targets out to 300 yards. Mine has a very good trigger. I have seen lots about magazine issues on forums but I have not had any problems with plastic or metal.

Bill

silverback

Blackhawk
great pics. that rifle is just sexy. I really want to stay with ruger but I want to be able to shoot steel case often. I find it hard to believe that there aren't any shooters who have tried them on a regular basis to provide any further insight.

silverback

Blackhawk
I got to thinking.... What was I getting all wrapped around the axle about in the first place! I have a Savage 99E 308 lever gun right now. Its a great light weight package that I can pack all day long with. Accuracy I am looking for and I already own it. Great 5 round internal mag. I can top load if I need to get another quick shot chambered. Now, as much as I want a Ruger it doesn't make sense. I just need to get the vepr so I can shoot steel cases any time I want, have the fire power if I ever need it, can hunt with it if needed. It will make a great compliment to the savage. I can work up loads for both down the road.

Now I just need to sell my LNIB 4th gen glock 26 with 100 rounds to make up some of the money I am going to spend on the vepr.

can't wait to get one back in my hands again.

kentdep

Single-Sixer
Cool post. Mostly because I have the itch for one of these too. I have a friend that owns one and they are just plain cool. I would like to see them come with a nice Hogue stock. I like the laminate stock but think one like this would be more to my liking.

I would go with the blacked out finish and since I have access to the tools to clean up the action there would be little cash outlay for me to make one just the way that I would want it.

Jay

silverback

Blackhawk
ok guys, I got the vepr in and had to rush to the range.

I had to jerry rig the stock with a an old plastic tapco stock put a slip on limb saver and wrapped DIY favorite tool "duct tape". It still had some side to side wiggle but hey it worked. I just wanted to get it out and get it on paper. next I cut the grip of the stock it came with .

this is going to look ugly but I couldn't wait to take it out to the range.

I began sighting it in at 25-50 and 100 yards respectfully. I had my girl friend calling the hits. The very top dots were because I was thinking of my revolver sights. Turning down thinking the POI would lower. Once I realized the error of my ways, front sight down meant POI was going, up I corrected my POI.

These were at 100yds Shoot and See 6 inch target, iron sights, stock trigger no polishing, very bright sunny day, 145 grain MFS steel case ammo. I was shooting seated with the hand guard on an x-rest http://www.montiegear.com/X_Rest.html

Not bad for that ammo, old man with bad eyes and a weapon set up that way.

I am one happy puppy. can't wait to get the stock set up correctly.

I trade for a houge grip but I think I may just finish the wood grip and use one of my solid rear stocks.

Sorry for the bad pics. they were taken from my phone.

alukban

Bearcat
The only factory ammo I shoot with my GSR is russian ammo (Brown Bear and TULA).

They work just fine. The bolt runs sluggish after about 30 rounds and I am guessing it is because of laquer build up. A quick wipe and lube of the bolt and contact points is all I do. It seems to be 3MOA ammo at worst but usuLly gives about 1.5 MOA for a good 70% of shots.

I shoot mine with a small aperture pretty much 99% of the time and have no trouble hitting 12" steel at 200y standing unsupported. YMMV.

Good luck :)

00765035-3480-4574-BCB0-73798296DE2F-4866-00000E2AAC7D3F3E.jpg

F578C7CD-F41B-4C03-8595-60B11CBD9D40-4591-00000D2C1697E9AA.jpg

silverback

Blackhawk
Dam I wish you would have chimed in several weeks ago. I wanted to go the way of the ruger GSR. I found out that it gets sluggish because the steel doesn't expand at the same rate as the brass does and allows fouling behind the neck area. the lacquer and polymer used is a high temp product and doesn't actually liquefy to create build up. apparently, you and I are one of the few that actually use steel case ammo regularly as on one else could provide me with info. If you get the chance or extra cash try the Primary weapons systems precision rifle comp. I think you will be surprised at its performance. I emailed them and the only product that comes close for the Vepr is the FSC47.

Ken S.

Bearcat
I don't regularly buy surplus. I was unaware they made .308win with steel cases.
The only steel case ammo I deal with is 7.62x39 for a bullpup sks I built.
I do however regularly reload .308 for my rem 760 and my brothers rem model six.
Being a retired USMC Armorer, I would have to say the 7.62 NATO and .308win are identical in every way except operating pressure.
I have shot 7.62 NATO rounds through a rem 700 adl. chambered in .308win
The 7.62 NATO is loaded with 180gr coated bullets designed to be fired from a rifle with a chrome lined barrel reducing pressure and increasing speed.
Firing NATO ammo through an unlined barrel can produce pressure spikes leading to flatened preimers stuck bolts or in extreme cases a head seperation failure.
The only difference with either spent case is the walls of the NATO case are much thicker