Ruger GPNY Info needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gtrmkr

Bearcat
I have posted here a few times and have been reading this section of the forum like a addicted Ruger maniac.

I have just seen a gun for sale on gunbroker.com called a Ruger GPNY revolver and wanted to know if anyone has any info on it. I have never heard of one and did a Google search but I did not see any values on such a gun. The guy that is selling it on gunbroker sold me 3 Rugers in the last month and I purchased 4 other Rugers on gunbroker.com from other sellers there. I am trying only to buy Ruger revolvers that are not common. I am not sure how rare this gun really is.

In the past you guys have given me some great advice and I ordered a couple Ruger books that were suggested to me but the books are not here yet.

Thank you, Tom

Here is the link to the gun I am asking about

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=425817037

stantheman86

Buckeye
I have one, a 4" that has been carried a lot:)

These were an approved sidearm for new NYPD recruits at one time, I don't know exact years but I believe 1988-1992, they were authorized at the same time as the 64-5 NY-1's.

It seems S&W was the more dominant choice so not many Rugers were purchased.

They are scarce, the 3" GPNY's scarcer than the 4" models. Only about 2,300 were purchased by NYPD for sale to new recruits. The NYPD didn't "issue" these, they were available for purchase by new officers.

image1952.jpg

I also have an NYPD Service Six.

Contrary to some beliefs these guns did not have heavier mainsprings, the Ruger springs were heavy enough to meet the NYPD 14 lb requirement.

Again not many Service Sixes were purchased since apparently academy staff pushed S&W.

The only authorized grips besides factory for both the GP and Service Six were Pachmayr Grippers, for uniformity reasons.

The GP had a matte finish due to the NYPD not wanting off duty cops having "shiny" guns since an off duty cop with a nickel S&W and stag grips was shot by police who thought he was a perp.

gtrmkr

Bearcat
Thank you so much for that great information.

This is why I love the Ruger forum!

hittman

Staff member
They are rare or scarce, however you want to describe it. I'd say it's worth whatever folks are willing to pay. Next you'll have to seek out the N.I.S. Speed Six.

For me, premium dollar only applies when it's a complete package like the one described in your link.

gtrmkr

Bearcat
Thanks Hittman for the info.

He has 2 other GPNY revolvers that are in different configurations that he is going to sell 1 at a time. Guess I will see what those are when he lists them for sale

Tom

cas6969

Buckeye
I should have bought a bunch of them, they used to be fairly common locally.

Not like the Model 10's though. When they transitioned to the Glock's, Model 10's could be had for $75+/- . Gun stores were loaded with them, dealers were only paying $25-$50 for them depending on condition, or wouldn't take them at all.

stantheman86

Buckeye
I just won an NY-1 S&W 64 on GunBroker, I seem to accidently by starting an NYPD collection:)

I also have a P89 DAO that was an unfired over run for the NYPD.

I didn't pay a "premium" for any, I got my GPNY from a guy selling his guns to fund his daughters wedding, I don't think I paid more than $400 for it.

I recently got my NYPD Service Six for $310, and the NY-1 64 went for $280. I haven't received the NY-1 yet but $280 is about on par for any used 64, let alone an NY-1.

Just a note, NY-1 64's were not all sold to the NYPD, NY-1 was a model designation for the S&W 64-5 with the DAO hammer. Many were also sold to Brinks and as over runs.

I had read that some of the unsold GPNY's were bought back by Ruger and sold as surplus, with some going to security companies. I don't know if this is true or not. My GPNY was heavily carried by someone:)

I also recently won a Suffolk County Police marked .38 Service Six, I was the only bidder on it on Gun Broker . It seems like there is less interest in the .38 models. I had to pay a little more for it than the NYPD Six.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Stan, I didn't know that the P89 was ever on the NYPD approved list. I thought they were strictly wheel guns until they switched to Glock? Apparently a ton of different guns have been on the list over the years, including Dan Wesson and Charter Arms. I don't know of any LE agency here that has ever issued Rugers. They have always been firmly married to S&W and now Glock. I have seen state prison guards with GP-100's though.

Dregg

Single-Sixer
Some .38 Ruger revolvers were also used in Corrections back in the day. I also believe the State police may have had them at some point.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
I would strongly suggest jumping on that gun; not only does if have an interesting historical/use background, it also has the superb OEM compact grips, and a matte finish-both desirable in a concealed-carry revolver. The 3" barrel length is quite viable, as is the .38 Special chambering, particularly with quality .38 Special +P loadings. That it's DAO is of no detrimental operational consequence; in fact, the spurless hammer provided is advantageous, particularly for providing a snagless concealed-carry draw.

While it's investment appreciation value might be constrained (or realized only after considerable time, if there's appropriate market interest developed), it offers a user a superb, weather resistant, durable, reliable and eminently usable concealed carry, home defense, or vehicle/boat revolver.

And it's a Ruger GP100...

Best, Jon

RugerHound

Hunter
I agree with P94/GP100 - I'd be all over that. It's a great package. Finding one with the packaging is a good score. The KGPFNY 831 (3" Full Shroud) and KGPFNY-841 (4" Full Shroud) had a total production of at least 2561 (combined) pieces according to RENE. That makes 'em pretty scarce!

Says it's an overrun which makes sense. (That's why the packaging) Finding one that was in service with packaging would be near impossible.

If it turns out you don't bid on it, let me know because I will! ;) It'd look real nice sitting next to my KGPFNY 841!

hittman

Staff member
RugerHound said:
The KGPFNY 831 (3" Full Shroud) and KGPFNY-841 (4" Full Shroud) had a total production of at least 2561 (combined) pieces according to RENE. That makes 'em pretty scarce!

Don't forget the 500 or fewer 4-inchers made with the regular factory brushed finish.