Ruger GP100 or SW 686 357 Magnum: Using Buffalo Bore 158gr

Help Support Ruger Forum:

6789boat

Bearcat
I have been told that the SW 686 won't hold hold up over time compared to the Ruger GP 100 when Buffalo Bore 158gr rounds are used repeatedly. I have a deposit on a SW 686+, but now am having second thoughts.

Does anyone have firsthand experience with heavy 357 magnum loads used in these two revolvers please? I will be using the revolver for potential self defense while outdoors in California and Oregon.

hittman

Staff member
You've been told correctly; at least from what I've read here over the years.

My 686 ended up being a safe queen ..... not because I think it's purty ..... just because the GP is a better firearm.

sandman228

Single-Sixer
I don't usually shoot heavy loads through it but ive got a 686 6 inch ported and love it . my usual load it 12.8 gr of 296 over my own 158 gr cast I don't consider that to be heavy.

kctgb

Bearcat
I have experience shooting heavy loads in a GP 100 and I'm quite sure a 686 would never take the same number of rounds that the 100 will take. My dad had a 686 and it went out of time long before the ruger and they were bought at the same time. The Ruger is still going strong and it's as tight today as it was when I bought it.

I was shooting 15 grains of 2400 with a 158 grain cast bullet yesterday and it was shooting just like it always has. That has been my favorite load since I have had this gun and it's no wimpy load.

I'm a Ruger guy all the way, Smiths are good too but in my humble opinion they won't last as long as the Ruger under heavy use.

Just my opinion from my experience.

I am a Ruger guy. Because of that I own a GP 100. But if an S&W 686 came a long at a deal to good to pass up, I'd buy one. They are nice guns as well. THEORETICALLY, I believe the Ruger to have an edge in strength. Having said that, very few people would actually be able to prove one way or another in their life time. Especially at the age must of us here are. Even with the exception of us senior folks the average shooter will never find out which one would give out first.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
I owe both.

Actually I have a 586. Bought it in 1983. I have shot a lot of heavy loads through it with no ill effects.

The reasons I accursed the GP was because I wanted a stainless pistol and the Ruger looks easier to maintain if a person needs to field strip it.

Corbi

357Nut

Bearcat
The S&W will be plenty strong unless you plan on shooting thousands of rounds out of it a year. The 7 shot is actually stronger than the 6 shot due to the location of the stop bolt notches.