Ruger GP100 5"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Firenailer

Bearcat
Hi everyone ,

I picked up my new GP100 this morning, brought it home for cleaning and took it out to the range. Man, I'm loving this .357!

I will have to change the front sight as the flat black just wont work for my aging eyes, but it's really a good shooter.

My question is that while it shot Federals, PMC, Magtech and Remington's fine, when I tried to load Fiocchi's into the cylinder it felt like it didn't want to close and wouldn't operate. (I couldn't pull the hammer back).

It fired everything else flawlessly and operated as smoothly as any Revolver I've ever owned. Has anyone else had problems with a particular brand of ammo with this gun?

Thanks,
Firenailer

hittman

Staff member
Wondering if by the time you tried that brand there was dirt under the ejector star.

If there's loads of gunk under there, it will seem hard to close the cylinder.

I'd give it a good bath first, then try that brand first next time you're at the range.

Welcome to the Forum.

Firenailer

Bearcat
Thanks,

I took a look at that and it was fine. I've been buying whatever I saw available at the gun store while waiting for the amendment to clear.

After the Fiocchi I just continued shooting with the other stuff and it was fine, I shot another couple of boxes with no issues.

Maybe the Fiocchi has a thicker base. Seems strange but it shoots anything else great! The guy next to me was able to use them in his Smith without any trouble and bought the box from me as he was about out.

As tight as ammo is I think I'll just put up a sign at the range and sell the other 4 boxes. Seems like anything else is good.

silverback

Blackhawk
never had that issue with my gp and fiocchi or any other brand. do have it with the sp101 22lr. so i run my finger under the ejector each time i load it to clean debris and no issues.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
If you have the old style "pinned" ejector star they do pick up crud a bit more often. I find that if I keep the ejector rod waxed with Renaissance Wax it cuts down on the fouling. I only do the job during a major cleaning.

As for foreign ammo I have found that they are a bit dirtier than most home grown ammo. I would stick-no pun- with what is made here when possible.

The five inch GP is an extraordinary revolver. It is accurate and strong.

I keep the cylinder face clean with lead free cloth and hydrogen peroxide. Remember to dispose of the brush and wipes properly because they contain heavy metals. I also use gloves and do he job outside.

Firenailer

Bearcat
Thanks,

I'm not sure if the ejector is pinned, but it seems to be clean and sits slightly recessed inside the rear of the cylinder. I brushed it with solvent and I don't think it's got any gunk holding it out.

I'm starting to think it might have been a bad run of ammo. ( Fiocchi is made here in the States, believe it or not they're in Ozark, Missouri).

I went shooting again today and this gun will shoot anything else I put in it so I'm not going to worry about it. But I surely won't be buying anymore Fiocchi ammo for it!

Great gun, the more I shoot it and get used to where it lets off, I can see why people rave about its accuracy. You can really put em where you want with it!

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
Just to be clear the newer type of GP extractor/ejector star has a slightly curved appearance to the ends of the star. The cylinder is cut to accept this contour. On the older type guns the contour is not present. The star points are symmetrical and there is a pin present that fits into a hole in the cylinder. I am not sure when the change occurred. Both systems need to be kept free of grit. Anyway Renaissance Wax is good for the outside of the gun too.

Firenailer

Bearcat
I was able to return the ammo to Lucky Gunner for credit, and I'm going to chalk it up to a bad run of ammunition.

I gave it another good cleaning last night and explained that it only was happening with those Fiocchi's and they said send it back. Maybe they've heard this before, they don't usually accept ammo returns.

I've got 5 or 6 other brands of .357 and .38 ammo and it all slides in and spins freely so I really don't think it has anything to do with the GP.

Thanks for all of the replies and help, I will keep an eye on that ejector.