Ruger GP100 4" and Simply Rugged Cattleman

Help Support Ruger Forum:

scary

Bearcat
I have been a fan of Simply Rugged for a while now. I usually carry a GP100 3" in a Sourdough Pancake, but I ordered a Cattleman for my 4" in the hopes that I could carry it concealed on duty. The 3" is great, but a full size gun carried on duty is much more comforting.

Note the pic below of the SR 1.75" belt with new Cattleman and well used SR cartridge loop:

IMG00022-20120113-1937.jpg

Unless I'm wearing a dress (which I don't do in public) it still falls well below my cover shirt level.

:?

Meeko

Single-Sixer
You might be better served with an IWB holster. Also just an observation, it appears that you have a Safariland speed loader holder for a Comp 2 on your belt? If that is something you use for duty, have you had or are you concerned with "loosing" your spare ammo with normal movement throughout a duty day or God forbid in a fight?

scary

Bearcat
Meeko said:
You might be better served with an IWB holster. Also just an observation, it appears that you have a Safariland speed loader holder for a Comp 2 on your belt? If that is something you use for duty, have you had or are you concerned with "loosing" your spare ammo with normal movement throughout a duty day or God forbid in a fight?

I've tried IWB holsters before and was not happy with them. They became uncomfortable, especially during long hours of surveillance sitting in a vehicle. They are great for high concealability concerns though. I find revolvers especially uncomfortable due to the girth of the cylinder.

I have wrestled with several different carry options for speedloaders during my career. Being a revolver guy, you can understand my struggle to carry my beloved wheelgun. I've tried split-six type pouches and regular pouches. These Safariland clips have proved to be an adequate compromise between security and accessibility, especially for the Comp II speedloaders. I lost a magazine for my auto several years ago while chasing a bad guy through a canal (open top mag pouch). I've handled several physical altercations with the Safariland clip and haven't lost a speedloader yet.

Not to say that it won't happen, but everything in life is a compromise and I have found these clips to be adequate in retention. My SR split-six type carrier dumped my speedloader on the bathroom floor in a truck stop one time, because the snaps on the side of the carrier had come undone. That is the only time I've dropped a speedloader.

I'm still open to suggestions for carrying a speedloader. This clip is the best I've seen so far.

Lefty SRH

Blackhawk
I like the cartridge loops. Can you post a few pics of the loops and the Safari Land speedloader clip. I'd like to carry my GP more often.

Meeko

Single-Sixer
I tried the safariland metal Speedloader holders and did not have that much luck and did not feel scure. It seemd they got bent out of shape easy to me anyway. I have had good luck with the Blade Tech speedloader holders with my Comp III's myself. if the Safariland holders work for you then I wouldn't change, I was just curious how they worked for you.

Quietdood

Bearcat
Hi Scary, considering the GP is your duty gun, may I ask about what year is the gun and have you ever modified it... like with a trigger job? Thanks.

jgr1974

Single-Sixer
Like that rig! Holster is a really cool one-who made your star holder? May I suggest a long waisted vest? I usually wear one over mine and have no problem concealing. The extra pockets help with lights knives credentials etc.

scary

Bearcat
Quietdood said:
Hi Scary, considering the GP is your duty gun, may I ask about what year is the gun and have you ever modified it... like with a trigger job? Thanks.

I don't know what year it is (I know that is a cardinal sin on this forum), the serial number is 175-02XXX. The only thing I have had done on this gun is having the chambers chamfered for easier reloading. I also bought the compact grips from Lett because they fit me much better. Other than that it is a stock GP100. Nothing fancy.

Your question reminds me of a line from Tropic Thunder. Something like "I don't know what kind of gun it is. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life".

scary

Bearcat
jgr1974 said:
Like that rig! Holster is a really cool one-who made your star holder? May I suggest a long waisted vest? I usually wear one over mine and have no problem concealing. The extra pockets help with lights knives credentials etc.

I usually use a cover shirt over a tee-shirt. Depending on what is clean, the shirt may or may not cover the entire length of that new SR holster.

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Scary in Texas

I've been around a few years, but I have to say, your approach with the half of the holster tucked into your pocket might seem comical to some. But it's your sense of innovation that I admire. That's a helluva idea for sure!

A.W.