Ruger fan from Washington state

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Rugers... they followed me home.

I never thought I'd have so many, but they've all filled a niche.

I started in 1988 with a Ruger Mk II 6-7/8" bull bbl. Then, in order:

Ruger No. 1H, .375 H&H
Ruger Bisley, .45 Colt
Ruger Single Six, .22 LR, .22 mag
Ruger New Blackhawk Bisley, .44 mag
Ruger LCP (2nd gen), .380
Ruger Mk IV Target, stainless, 10" bull bbl.
Ruger GP100, Jeff Quinn edition, .44 Special

I wasn't looking for a Jeff Quinn model, I was just seeking a good .44 Special and was impressed with how solid and tight the GP100 was.

Besides Rugers, I have S&W, Colt, HK, Winchester, Remington, Thompson/Center, Beretta, Sako, Sig, Marlin, and CZ, to name most of them. Pistols, Rifles, and Shotguns.

In late 1988 I became interested in IHMSA Silhouette - still shoot it. Watching rams at 200 meters topple over is addicting. Besides my Mk II, I've been using a S&W M29, a T/C in .30-30, and an XP-100 in 7mmBR. I've retired the M29 and will use the Blackhawk; I'll replace the Mk II with the Mk IV.

One more firearm: a Barrett M82A1 .50BMG for FCSA 1000 yard competition.

I've been reloading for over 35 years; I reload for all the calibers I shoot, except .22 rimfires obviously.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
I hope you keep your MK II.
Absolutely! It is very dear to me and I'll continue to shoot it.

As of last month I have 4660 rounds through it, mostly through IHMSA Silhouette shooting and just plain fun shooting. I bought it in 1988.

IMG_2594.jpeg

I have used only CCI Mini Mags in it exclusively and it has not once failed to feed, fire, extract, or eject a round - since 1988! I have never had it apart - I just clean the bore and chamber as best as I can.

When I bought it, I asked my friend, the store owner, how often I should take it apart. He said, "about once every 20 years."

Until this year I had only the original magazine! Until this year I didn't realize Ruger still made the Mk II magazines, so I bought two more from Ruger this year and they work perfectly.

Last edited:
Your initial Ruger is a great piece. The .22 pistol that Bill Ruger invented is the greatest rimfire handgun ever made. My 1st one was a RST6 and I think my favorite configuration is the MK4B and MK4BL. Unfortunately the stainless is not a KMK4BL but instead a FrankenRuger made from a 22/45 upper and a KMK lower. You have a great collection of Rugers and are among like minded people here.
20230128_011424.jpg

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Rugers... they followed me home.

I never thought I'd have so many, but they've all filled a niche.

I started in 1988 with a Ruger Mk II 6-7/8" bull bbl. Then, in order:

Ruger No. 1H, .375 H&H
Ruger Bisley, .45 Colt
Ruger Single Six, .22 LR, .22 mag
Ruger New Blackhawk Bisley, .44 mag
Ruger LCP (2nd gen), .380
Ruger Mk IV Target, stainless, 10" bull bbl.
Ruger GP100, Jeff Quinn edition, .44 Special

I wasn't looking for a Jeff Quinn model, I was just seeking a good .44 Special and was impressed with how solid and tight the GP100 was.

Besides Rugers, I have S&W, Colt, HK, Winchester, Remington, Thompson/Center, Beretta, Sako, Sig, Marlin, and CZ, to name most of them. Pistols, Rifles, and Shotguns.

In late 1988 I became interested in IHMSA Silhouette - still shoot it. Watching rams at 200 meters topple over is addicting. Besides my Mk II, I've been using a S&W M29, a T/C in .30-30, and an XP-100 in 7mmBR. I've retired the M29 and will use the Blackhawk; I'll replace the Mk II with the Mk IV.

One more firearm: a Barrett M82A1 .50BMG for FCSA 1000 yard competition.

I've been reloading for over 35 years; I reload for all the calibers I shoot, except .22 rimfires obviously.
What a fantastic collection of Rugers! I only have three: 1965 .357 Mag 6.5" Blackhawk (Blued), .45 5.5" Convertible Blackhawk (SS), and a .357 Mag 6" GP100 (SS). I use to reload back in the '60s and early '70s, but not since. Prior to COVID, it was less expensive to buy already manufactured ammo than to reload, especially since I would of had to buy all the reload equipment. But since COVID, all the ammo prices doubled, tripled, and even quadrupled.

Recently (past 6 months), some of the ammo prices have come back down, especially with the very popular calibers, like the 9mm. But other calibers have also. I have a ballistics file that lists ammo for 35 handgun and 25 rifle calibers, and this file contains over 3,500 entries, where each entry is a link to an online retailer that is selling that very same ammo. There you will see the real, actual price, availability, bullet type, and all its ballistics info at one glance. I use this file to buy ammo, looking for the price or ballistics specs I desire, which may be high powered ammo, a specific bullet type for that caliber, or simply the lowest cost available. This ballistics file is in caliber order, with all handgun ammo first, then followed by the rifle ammo list.

I release this file in PDF format, so anyone can use it. If interested, just message me, or go to my website (elConsulting.org) and click on Miscellaneous Information on the home page. If you get it, I would like to hear from you and what you think of the file.