Ruger Compact 308 review - UPDATE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pcgod

Bearcat
I picked up a Ruger Compact in 308. It is the new model Hawkeye that is blued rather than matte. My first impressions were ok, although the stain looked a little light in spots on one side. The trigger was great for Ruger, clean crisp and 5 pounds. I tested it with a snap cap 20 times and it was extremely consistent.
After I brought the gun home, I decided to prep it for the range. I took it apart and was horrified by the barrel channel. These Rugers have the pressure point up front and normally the mid-section of the barrel is not in contact with the wood. This channel was cut poorly, still in a rough cut state, not sealed well (bare wood), and the barrel was pressure fitted into it contacting wood unevenly throughout. I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH A POOR QC ISSUE FROM ANY GUN MAKER.
I was thinking about sending it back. But the Ruger policy (for a compact) is the gun is within spec if it shoots within 2 inches at 50 yds. I figured I would shoot it and dug around to find some 150 gr Federal factory loads. I decided if it shot more than 2 inches at 50 yds with the first 3 shots it was going back.
I proceeded to follow my standard prep procedure. I cleaned the rifle and set the action screws to 50 inch pounds front and 30 in the mid and rear. I dropped in a lighter trigger spring and had a safe and consistent 3 pound trigger pull. I mounted a Leupold 1.75X6 scope w/heavy duplex on it and bore sighted it and I was ready for the range.
At the range, I fired 3 shots of federal factory ammo at 50 yds. off a bench. I cleaned the barrel after each round and let it cool completely. The results were just over an inch. I continued at 75 yds, single shots and then clean for 3 more shots. The results were about 1.75 inches. Now comes another observation, the scopes heavy duplex is terrible for shooting targets. This must be the worst reticle Leupold sells for target shooting. I think for deer size game in low light at less than 100yds it would work great but not for targets it simply isn't fine enough. Another observation, hang on to your hats…..the 1st 3 shots with the federal factory loads were doing 2691, 2704, 2693 thru my chronograph. Remember, this rifle has a 16.5 inch barrel. Yes the bolt handle was hard to lift too.
I was intrigued to see what some handloads would do and had loaded 150gr REM core-locks over Varget. The max load is 47 gr. and it chronographed at 2610, which is a little better than what you would expect in this length barrel. I shot 4 different loads of Varget and found the best was 46gr and produced 1.7" @ 100yds (3 shot group) with a velocity of 2575 fps.
So, I think this does have potential. I took it home and it cleaned up real easy with little copper fouling, it seems to have a nice barrel. The barrel channel still REALLY bothered me so I relieved it a tad and sealed it up with stock oil. It looks a lot better and I doubt it will affect the accuracy for the worst (I didn't touch the pressure point). I also swapped the scope out for a 1.5-5 with a standard duplex. I think this will make shooting groups easier and make the results more reliable.
Trigger notes: I used gunslick graphite grease on it and apparently hadn't worked it in real well when testing. The trigger ended up a very consistent 2.5 pounds and while great for targets it is just a hair light for my hunting rifles. I put the factory spring back in and the trigger stands at 3.5 pounds now. I'll leave it there for the time being and continue to develop my handloads.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
pcgod - you and me are on the same page with this compact /ultralight thing. I have just started my interest and you I guess from your posts have a 06 ultralight Hawkeye and now this .308. I am hesitating on buying this 06 ultralight that I posted about a couple days ago. Just can't seem to see the huge difference against the standard. I have a ,270 in mind and a .308 Compact which you just wrote about. I too am horrified at Rugers QC on these recent Hawkeyes. I really like 30-06 seems just a little more punch for Elk hunting.
Help me make up my mind are these little rifles really worth the time? I was hoping to get just a little smaller package with the same punch as a standard. Sounds as though you are hooked? Great success with them I am a key stroke away from getting on board.

scoutman

Bearcat
Quote: "Now comes another observation, the scopes heavy duplex is terrible for shooting targets. This must be the worst reticle Leupold sells for target shooting"

Pcgod,

A tip from John Scaefer over on the FR. Frog websight:Use the 90 degree intersection of the verticle and horizontal cross hair as the reticle aiming point.

pcgod

Bearcat
6mmsl said:
pcgod - you and me are on the same page with this compact /ultralight thing. I have just started my interest and you I guess from your posts have a 06 ultralight Hawkeye and now this .308. I am hesitating on buying this 06 ultralight that I posted about a couple days ago. Just can't seem to see the huge difference against the standard. I have a ,270 in mind and a .308 Compact which you just wrote about. I too am horrified at Rugers QC on these recent Hawkeyes. I really like 30-06 seems just a little more punch for Elk hunting.
Help me make up my mind are these little rifles really worth the time? I was hoping to get just a little smaller package with the same punch as a standard. Sounds as though you are hooked? Great success with them I am a key stroke away from getting on board.

I have hunted for a long time and over the years have found the rifles are carried alot more than they are shot. I have never been recoil sensitive so these shorter lighter guns don't bother me and carry alot better than their heavier brothers.

If you buy a new rifle, go over completely before you purchase it. Ask if they will take the action out of the stock too. Unless you can do some work yourself, this may save you from a bad customer service experience. I like Rugers alot and they do stand behind their products if their requirements are met. Compacts are within spec if they shoot 2"@50 yds. So they can do a crap job and it still may shoot within spec.
My goal for this gun is under 1.5"@ 100yds as this is a hunting rifle and I have reasonable expectations. You really need to have reasonable expectations for any light weight rifle. Any of these type of rifles I consider 200 yd guns, since I hunt the northeast, that works for me. For elk I might think the 30-06 is a good call. The ultralight has a 20" barrel and your velocity will be higher with heavier bullets, however, you still need to shoot at a reasonable range. Please note: I have never hunted elk, moose yes, bear yes, deer yes....but not elk.

EVR

Single-Sixer
Another compact thread!!

The news is leaking out...

First, yes, stocking up QC from Ruger is and always has been poor.

So what. It is pure labor, no material cost so we can solve that at home.

My Ruger Rifle SOP {done before even shooting them}:

1} Epoxy bed the receiver front and a dab on the tang.
2} Relieve the tang so no bearing occurs behind the tang.
3} Freefloat barrel channel and seal.
4} Crispen trigger {finish at 3-3.5 lbs}.
5} Bevel ejector slot edges and ejector.

I have two German 4a Leupold scopes and they have similar crosshairs and I at first hated them...now after killing stuff with them am hooked. GREAT reticle for deer/elk during the typical weather in which we hunt them. Heavy fog, rain, sleet, snow, etc. Great reticle!

I posted my thoughts on my .308 Ultralight on a recent post so won't repeat, but it is a superb rifle and after the rebedding is a sub-MOA performer. I have a Burris 1.75-5 scope on that one. The Leupold German 4a's are on other rifles; 9.3x57 and .375 H&H Mag.

I have carried that little Ultralight for many miles on skis now and YES, for carrying, and shooting when needed, it is really growing on me.

pcgod

Bearcat
EVR,

I too like the 4a reticle and have a 1.5x5 Leupold on my compact 243. It grows on you with use.
The barrel channel was really bad, but as you say, a little labor and problem solved. I don't know if the compacts work better freefloated, and have read they don't. I may do it, I may not, let's see how the rifle does down the road. Even freefloating it is just labor. Bedding is cheap and I have a Brownells kit on the shelf if I go that root.

If I get a handload that shoots better than 1.5 @ 100 I may not mess with it, we shall see.

EVR

Single-Sixer
pcgod said:
I don't know if the compacts work better freefloated, and have read they don't.

I read stuff like that but I really do not understand it as I have never owned a Ruger that did not respond very well to freefloating.

All the best with yours. Great rifles. Ruger has had the market sewn up with the Compact/International/Ultralight/Frontier/Scout stream of shorties.

wunbe

Buckeye
Ruger ought to be ashamed to produce a bolt rifle these days that can only manage 4MOA at 100 yards. Hell, they even tweaked the new ranch rifle mini 14s to way better accuracy than that becasue they know what the customers want.

That kind of go to hell corporate response to the market was typical under Ol Bill and the Ruger lines suffered for it. Looks like his ghost is still stalking the halls.

wunbe

Pal Val

Buckeye
I bought a compact in 7mm-08 a year ago. A little work on the bedding and some cleaning up of the barrel channel, and it's now one of my best shooters, with consistent 1.5" groups at 100 yds with my handloads. The trigger was a bit grainy at first, but has gotten really smooth after 500+ rounds.

Last deer season for me was a wash, being ill most of it, but I'm looking forward to the next.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
EVR said:
Another compact thread!!

The news is leaking out...

EVR-I know good stuff-had to start this one -don't know why I couldn't find anything when I did a search? anyway here we go-

Looks like I am going for the 30-06 love the round and it has been good to me. Elk will definitely be in the picture and although the .308 and the .270 look tempting I am sticking with the 06.
Now , I like synthetic and although I have had bedding issues with wood the factory synthetics have worked for me- Not the prettiest but bedding has been solid and in fact I leave them stock-no mods. The one I am going for is synthetic-just need to get my FFL set-up. I have never bought rifles on-line wish me luck. I too like to do a through inspection at purchase but can't on this. I do have 3 days to dispute.
Received the scope I WAS going to try on it yesterday-FX 6X LR reticule. Not impressed with the reticule the holdovers are so cramped that it will be hard to separate quickly when shooting. So, its going back nice idea but no. Going with a VX3 2.5 X 8 to start a little heavy but I have it sitting around. Should be a great package- I will be pushing it out to 300 yards so hope it hangs. Out here in the west the shots don't always come close I always seem to be in the 200-300 yard range for most my kills.

Keep you posted on progress. Any additional comments welcome - always good to hear others experiences!

sp

Single-Sixer
Upon getting a new Ruger I always take it apart and check things out. Be aware that Ruger does not approve of amateur gunsmithing. Ruger makes some statement about "plastic" coating or such inside of stocks but they produce rifles that are really not bedded properly.

I check to see if it is bedded in the stock properly, the magazine box is not jammed in tight causing the receiver to be stressed where it should not be and that both bolt lugs contact the inside of the receiver.

I have found the inside of the stock always to be rough and not sealed properly and always bed the rifle with epoxy and free float the barrel except for the barrel shank. One rifle had a front receiver screw installed so tight that I only could back it out with a square shanked screw driver and a crescent wrench.

Usually the magzine box is also jammed in between the bottom metal and the receiver -- tension in the bedding should be at the front recever ring and a lesser amount at the tang not somewhere in between the receiver and magazine box. The magazine box can be filed down at the contact points where the box touches the bottom metal.

Bolt locking lug contact is a job for the factory. I test this first by stripping down the bolt placing the bolt back into the rifle, pushing on the bolt with a cleaning rod then locking and unlocking the bolt that has the locking surfaces covered with some type of coating. I also check the crown of the rifle. If these don't check out it goes back to the factory before any other modifications are made.

If you know how to a trigger job can now be done.

My best accuracy M77 MK II is a plastic stocked .223 that has been epoxy bedded, trigger job, and a refitted magazine box. No problem to get .5 to .75 groups with the 52 grain H Amax with 22.5 grains of Re 10X.

Should a decision be made to rebarrel the rifle the gunsmith will lap the bolt lugs and possibly true up the receiver.

pcgod

Bearcat
I have had this rifle for a year now and figured I would throw out an update. I am very happy with it and really have enjoyed it.

Since the last post I have free floated and bedded the stock. I really wondered if this would help the accuracy and the answer seems to be ...sort of. The loads that shot well, still shot well, the group sizes didn't vary that much, overall a bit smaller.The POI between the different loads seemed to be less. So all in all I guess I have a bit more consistancy.

I decided to move my Leupold 1.5-5x20 w/the german #4 reticle over to this gun permently. I bought a lower ring from Ruger so it sits a bit lower and points really fast.

The LOP of the rifle is short. I bought a Limbsaver slip-on pad and I think I like it. I would shoot a group or 2 with it on and then with it off, I don't find much difference. But I think it mounts better with it on for a guy my size (6 feet).

I have tried 150's, 165's, 180's, and 125 grain bullets in my handloads. I have finally settled on the Sierra 165gr BTHP running at 2600fps with 748 powder. This handload shoots consistanly under an inch. I have shot about 30 3 shot groups at 100yds and the load ranges from .7 to .9 inch center to center. These groups were shot over several different range sessions.

I may be at the point to say it is a sub-MOA gun but the truth is most handloads it liked shoot about 1-1.3 inch. In any event the rifle has exceeded my expectations and I would not hesitate recommending one.

My final note is a bit funny. One of the guys I always see at the range stated that I was crazy developing loads after it was shooting consitently just over an inch. While I have/had resonable expectations of this little rifle I did grow a bit obsessive in trying to find the very best load. At this point he just laughs and while he agrees it shoots better than he thought it would, he wonders if I have spent more on reloading compomnets than the gun cost. My response....Maybe so but it keeps me out of the bars.

RJ556

Buckeye
I used to own a Compact SS laminate in 7mm-08. I was never able to get it to shoot to my satisfaction. After many hand loads and factory loads, bedding, free-floating, it would group 1.5" to 2" but not consistiently under 1.5" This may have been because of me not being able to shoot this particular gun well. I say "particular gun" because my Blaser K95 is lighter all up that the Compact was and I can honestly shoot groups less than 3/4" with Rem 270 Core-locks with it. I have tinkered and shot guns all of my life but I just could not get CONSISTENCY out of that one. Many people think that 2" at 100 yards is fine for hunting shots up to 200 yards, but you don't have your shooting bench in the field. So from field positions, a more accurate rifle will make your field accuracy that much better.

scoutman

Bearcat
Quote: "So from field positions, a more accurate rifle will make your field accuracy that much better"

For a different view, look here:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/miscelle.htm#accurate

TBear77

Single-Sixer
The consistency in my 7-08 ultralight is impacted by screw torque. I tried the 50/30/30 screw torque...it grouped at 2.25". Right now I'm closer to 85/40/50, which averages about 1" with Remington 140gr factory ammunition.

The one thing I've done to all my M77MkII and Hawkeye's is to polish the 2 contact points on the sear. A nicer feel without having to dry-fire 500+ times.

Ted

pcgod

Bearcat
TBear77 said:
The consistency in my 7-08 ultralight is impacted by screw torque. I tried the 50/30/30 screw torque...it grouped at 2.25". Right now I'm closer to 85/40/50, which averages about 1" with Remington 140gr factory ammunition.

The one thing I've done to all my M77MkII and Hawkeye's is to polish the 2 contact points on the sear. A nicer feel without having to dry-fire 500+ times.

Ted

That's true. I messed with the screw torgue on both the compact in 308 and 243. I found that both did very well 50/30/30. A friend seems to think that just consistently tighting them to the same spec allows you to modify your hand load to the rifle. His issue was inconsistent groups, he borrowed my torque screw driver and as he put it "loads that shot 2" groups would always shoot 2" after he started using it". He bought his own torque driver and last a heard had the rifle shooting 1.25 with his hunting load and was happy with it (note: his gun is a standard 30/06). I am a firm believer in using a torque screw driver or wrench if you own rugers.