Ruger Blackhawk .327 cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

salover

Single-Sixer
Has Ruger produced a blue version of the .327 Mag in the Blackhawk? I have a Blackhawk "Buckeye Special" with the .32 Mag/.32-20 and am interested in adding a .327 Mag cylinder to the mix if one can be found.

I think there was a blued model made. You are asking about the 8 shot model, correct? I have a stainless version, I know someone else has posted pictures of a factory pinto model, it's very attractive.

I'd bet to get the cylinder you would have to buy the whole revolver.

salover

Single-Sixer
I kind of had an idea I'd have to do that. Looking in Ruger all I was seeing was 8 shot revolvers. Appreciate your input.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
There were a very few "Pintos" released in 2013 with a SS frame and a blued cylinder and ejector housing, these were 8 shot Blackhawks. The 32 HR cylinder will be the best option as everyone else has said.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
Not sure if this will help. There is a gunsmith in Silver City, New Mexico, Borchardt Rifle Corp. that has "RAW" Super Blackhawk 6 shot cylinders that you can machine.

salover

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the feedback, guys. It is appreciated. I'll probably send the 32 Mag cylinder I have to Bowen and have it reamed. Still have a 3 caliber gun and much cheaper that way.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
salover said:
Thanks for the feedback, guys. It is appreciated. I'll probably send the 32 Mag cylinder I have to Bowen and have it reamed. Still have a 3 caliber gun and much cheaper that way.

Your cheapest option, and a lot quicker than Bowen, is to ream your 32 cyl. yourself. You can rent a reamer for about $40 and postage.

This is the absolute easiest reaming there is so little metal to remove it can be done by hand with a T wrench tapping handle in 20 minutes. Even if you've never done one.

All you'll do is shave .015" from each side of the chamber for a length .130" (~ 1/8") to deepen the shoulder in the chamber.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Several years ago I had Bowen ream the 32 H&R cylinder from my Buckeye for the 327 Mag. Charged $90 at that time.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Excellent, has now been joined by a BH eight shot, a USFA 327/32WCF convertible and a Single Seven. Love the 32's!

Brules

Single-Sixer
onehandgunner said:
Not sure if this will help. There is a gunsmith in Silver City, New Mexico, Borchardt Rifle Corp. that has "RAW" Super Blackhawk 6 shot cylinders that you can machine.
The gunsmith is Al Story... Great guy.

z1r

Single-Sixer
I'm gonna suggest getting one of the BC cylinders since they aren't very pricey and having it chambered in .327. That leaves you with or original 32 H&R cylinder. I find the 32 H&R to be a right handy cartridge and it keeps your Buckeye original.

That said, if you have no use for the H&R, proceed. In a pinch, you can shoot the H&R's out of the .327 anyway as you well know.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Three of my .32 Super Single Sixes with original cyls, three different barrel lengths, three different grip sizes:

Top one: has 32 Mag cyl and an extra one reamed to 32-20 (yes the bullet needs deeper seating to fit), 4 5/8", XR3-Red size grip frame.

Next one: reamed to 327 Fed Mag and shoots both mags from same cyl, 4 3/8", XR3 grip size.

3rd one: 32 Mag, 4 1/8" barrel, Vaquerito short grip frame.

standard.jpg

salover

Single-Sixer
Those are nice ones. With the 32-20 bullet being seated deeper how much difference can you tell between it and the 32 Mag since power capacity is compromised?