Ruger Bisley frame fit

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dek

Bearcat
I recently acquired a Ruger Bisley .44 mag Vaquero, 57-. The fit of the grip frame is off center to the left by about .020 and causes the hammer to bind. I think someone probably wanted to convert from plow handle to Bisley and it didn't work. Anyone run into a similar problem? Recommendations? Thanks, Dennis

DGW1949

Hunter
Yes I have.
It aint an uncommon problem with "swapped around" parts.

Unload the gun.
Remove the grips.
Cock the hammer back.
Stick a pin into the hole which is located at the bottom of the hammer-spring strut.
Press the trigger while keeping a little thumb pressure on the hammer so's you can slowly lower the hammer and relieve the spring pressure. The pin will capture the spring. You can leave the strut ass'y in place.
Loosen all of the grip frame screws about 1-1/2 to 2 turns. Perhaps that will allow enough wiggle room to obtain a fit.
Re-assemble in reverse order.
Re-connect the ground wire to the battery post. (this part is a joke...sorry, I couldn't help myself).

If that don't work, you'll have to take the grip frame off and remove the offending metal.

Good luck.

DGW

dek

Bearcat
I loosened all the grip frame screws and tried to work it into alignment. However, once I tightened the screws, it went right out of alignment. I disassmbled the entire revolver and worked with the frame and receiver. It appears the problem stems from the grip frame screw and pivot lock being off. When I tighten that screw, the frame goes out of alignment. Is it possible to open the grip frame hole enough to allow the screw to tighten without pulling it out of alignment? Thanks, Dennis

dek

Bearcat
I called Ruger, explained the problem, they checked the serial number, it was originally mfr as a Bisley. Asked me to send it in for warranty repair or replacement.
Thanks for the suggestions. I hope this takes care of the problem. Dennis

DGW1949

Hunter
Not a bad plan.
I know that it is troublesome to send a gun off for repairs because I've had to do it myself. Still though, at least you know that iRuger is going to take care of their customers, so in the end, everything will be OK.

DGW

dek

Bearcat
The Vaquero Bisley 44 Mag was returned this week. They refitted the frame and filed to fit. They completely buffed the mating areas as well as the pins which are now flat rather than convex. It is a very nice job and the revolver is fully functional with no hammer or trigger binding issues. It was easier sending it to Ruger than trying to do it myself. No "bubbaing".

dek

Bearcat
Still too cold and too much snow to go shooting. Probably next week - temp is supposed to get to 40+ one day. I did measure my cylinder throats - all at .431. I'm using 200 gr RNFP hardcast which measure .4305 so I should be good to go.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, we had a good snow this week & I've been out shooting twice since. Today was the second day! I unlimbered a few 45 Colts & a 44 mag today myself. Testing a few handloads with a new cast bullet.