Ruger Bearcat For Snake

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1ruger

Single-Sixer
We had a little incident during the holiday with a bad tempered Cottonmouth at my parent's house. I had a pistol with me but I didn't want to shoot it with my 9mm pistol as it occured on the patio/deck and I didn't want to put holes on the deck and possibily hit the pool and sprinkler pump. It ended okay with my quick thinking dad throwing a pot of hot oil from the grill and me with a pool net handle.

It got me to think about carrying a small revolver in my pocket loaded with those "snake shots". I saw a Bearcat at the local pawn shop at decent price so thought it would be ideal as a pocket "snake medicine".

If anybody has any experience with 22lr snake shot and their performance please let me know what you think of my idea.

thanks.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Rimfires use very small ratshot, something on the order of #12. Better option would be 38 SPL or larger in #9 shot.

I have tried the rimfire shot on snakes and I was not impressed.

Charlie

Snake45

Hawkeye
Dern. When I saw the thread title, I thought I'd won a karma or contest or something. :( :( :( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Thought he want to trade a Bearcat for a Python :)

Another option would be to use 22 CB's it about like using a air gun. May not have enough to take out the snake and you would need to make a head shot. But it wouldn't go though a deck board.

If I found myself in cottonmouth country, and I didn't want to pack one of my big guns, I would get me one of those Bond derringers in 38 or bigger (could go 9mm too). You can get snake shot from CCI or load your own. You could probably even use them in your current 9mm although they may not make the slide function (don't know, haven't tried them in a semi-auto).

Dale53

Blackhawk
The original .22 rimfire shot cartridges with the crimped brass case are "not so much". However, the CCI type with plastic shot capsule are MUCH better. Try a box and if they work well for you, "You are good to go". If they don't please you, you are not out much.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=3&loadNo=0039

Dale53

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Dale53 said:
The original .22 rimfire shot cartridges with the crimped brass case are "not so much". However, the CCI type with plastic shot capsule are MUCH better. Try a box and if they work well for you, "You are good to go". If they don't please you, you are not out much.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=3&loadNo=0039

Dale53

I also use the CCI shot shell, with the blue plastic cap...very happy with those. Of course I am not using the 22LR caliber, rather the 45 Colt caliber. Those pattern perfectly at the distances required...normally 7 - 15 ft.

I too would agree to try this brand before you give up on the 22LR.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
twobisquit said:
I have killed dozens of rattlesnakes with .22 shot. That fine shot is about perfect for head shots @ about 6 feet

Never in my life have I encountered as many rattle snakes as I did in the Powder River basin over a summer. Wish I could have carried on that job, I got the creeps often walking thru high grass and rocks, could hear the snakes rattling, but couldn't always see them.

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
i have shot snakes with the .44 mag/special CCI capsules and even with a blackpowder revolver w/ 12 shot loaded in front of the cylinder. both worked great. i would prefer either one to a .22 loaded w/ ratshot. pick up one of those vaquero sheriff's models ...

TinStarFirearms

Single-Sixer
I have had great luck with the Aguila brand "Colibri" .22 shells on snakes. Much like a CB cap. My bearcat stays loaded with them.

A snake on a deck or hard surface would get a shovel behind the head around here.

Andrew

dudley do right

Bearcat
twobisquit said:
I have killed dozens of rattlesnakes with .22 shot. That fine shot is about perfect for head shots @ about 6 feet

I have not killed dozens but have killed several rattle snakes with 22 birshot and it was a one shot kill.

Noah228

Bearcat
While I have used 22 LR CCI shot shells out of my Bearcat and with mostly good results (at short ranges), I would recommend a Single Six with the 22 Mag. cyl. I now use my SS to dispatch unwanted critters using the 22 WMR CCI shot shell which will give a big improvement in performance over the 22LR round. If you are a good shot (head shot needed) the CCI CB rounds will do the trick too. When quiet shooting is needed use the shot shells or CB's out of a rifle. My Savage 24 sounds like an air gun with either.

Doc Thornton

Bearcat
this is not helpful in regard to the bearcat question since it is a rimfire,
but in regard to centerfire snake ctgs.

I may be wrong but I belive that some time ago there was a good
write up on Gunblast about making your own snake killing loads.
I should have put it in my favorites because it looked like good medicine
for creepy crawlies.

bennettfam

Single-Sixer
At snake range I can actually hit small twigs and rocks with my Bearcat 95% or better, and would consider just using normal LR ammo. But I guess the shot shells give you more of an aiming fudge factor you may need with adrenalin pumping. Also easier on the deck wood of course.

sheriff54

Bearcat
just my .02 worth... I live at the lake, N Texas. we have a bit of a time with cotton mouths and copper heads. I have used the cci stuff in 22lr, 22mag and 38. I have also used the 410 in a 26" barrel. all work. I may use two shots on one intruder. I had a large cotton mouth in the yard with a yard full of youth group kids… I hit it twice with a 38 in 4". Either shot was enough but I wanted it done quickly. These do work. not a lightning bolt but they work. lr is a bit more quiet than the mag but they do work. I use a 6" smith revolver or a 5.5" browning auto for lr. Needless to say, the 410 does better but size and convenience are a problem. But my neighbor does it quieter with a shovel or a hoe. Me being a gun guy, I go to them first but have used a short piece of 4"by4", a shovel, a grubbing hoe. BUT when I wonder the field, I carry something with shot. Old guy with old eyes and no chance of splatter on a rock I didn't see. I could carry a shovel but choose a small gun with cci shot. I have the shot for 9mm, 40s&w, 45 acp BUT have not fired them yet. A good friend said his g27 will just cycle with shot. I have used the revolver shot for 35+ years. I reload the 38 capsules and the smallest shot I can find. These things are costly but they last quite a while. Always, ymmv

REP1954

Blackhawk
Snake45 said:
Dern. When I saw the thread title, I thought I'd won a karma or contest or something. :( :( :( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Snake thats really some funny stuff.

SC-REBEL

Bearcat
I have never used shot in a rifled barrel as i have always been worried that it would harm the rifling. Am I overly cautious? What is everyone's experience.

Dale53

Blackhawk
The CCI shot capsules in .22 rimfire on up, encapsulate the shot so it is not an issue. I have never shot enough of them at a time that plastic fouling becomes a problem. However, if it ever does, then Ed's Red cleaning solvent easily removes it.

Dale53