Ruger Bear/cat Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigbob

Single-Sixer
I JUST GOT DONE BUYING A 1998 BEARCAT, NIB AND WHEN I GOT IT IT SEEMED SOMEWHAT SMALLER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE. iS THIS A YOUTH GUN? IS IT A POPULAR GUN, YOU DON'T SEE MANY AROUND? WHY DO SOME HAVE THE BRASS LOOKING TRIGGER GUARDS AND SOME DON'T? I AM ASSUMING THAT THIS SHOOTS 22LR BUT NOT 22MAG? LAST QUESTION WHAT IS THE AVERAGE NIB 1998 WORTH DO YOU GUYS THINK? :?: :?: :?:

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
A youth can shoot it, but it's not necessarily a youth's model. I'm an adult and mine is a squirrel hunting son-of-a-gun. So, being a son-of-a-gun, it can be excused for being smaller than its parent.

Still, it's one of the more accurate .22 pistols I own, and I have target pistols to compare it with!

Dan

bearcatsquirrel.jpg
[/img]

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
They do make a nice youth gun but that doesn't mean adults can't shoot them :) They are scaled down quite a bit specially from a Super Blackhawk. The are just a nice compact 22. They do not shoot 22 mag, there were a few released with the 22mag cylinder but they are typically 22 LR/L/Short only. They are popular and most that have one wouldn't part with it. This is usually the one that gets taken a long as it's small and light and you hardly know you have it when carrying it. I am often surprised when I see the price tags on the new ones.

contender

Ruger Guru
It was designed originally as a "kit gun" or a "pocket gun" for folks who wanted a small companion when hiking or fishing etc. It was designed as an adult gun, but due to it's size, makes an excellent trainer for youth & ladies. THe early Bearcats had brass colored triggerguards, and later on they were changed to steel.
BTW; in your typing, you can hit the "caps off" button. To type in capitals, appears as if you are shouting.

A

Anonymous

I have two new stainless steel Bearcats, and there isn't a child in sight. They are MINE, and I'm 54 years old. I wish I had gotten one years ago, they have become my favorite gun.

Contender nails it, they were designed to be a single-action "kit gun". I agree with DanChamberlain, too, as mine shoot nice little groups.

They are a little hard to come by, as they sell fast when available. List price on a stainless steel one is $584, blued is $542. There are much better price experts on the Forum, but I would guess an average price on a NIB 1998 blued one would be about $375-400. Depends on having the original case and papers, etc.

Major T

Blackhawk
I got my first Bearcat on the wrong side of 65. I bought it from an even older gentleman that was trying to get 200 in trade and the dealer was trying to rob him. He finally walked so I gave him the 200 he wanted for a LNIB blue model. They wholesaled well over that at the time. I really enjoy it. Shop Ruger sells a holster for it that IMO is just right. (Those holsters, by the way, are not heavy duty enough for their large revolvers, but suit the Bearcat just fine and the price is not bad.) enjoy, jack

A

Anonymous

Ruger's holster is made by Triple K. I have them for the Bearcat, Single-Six, and Mark III. Nicely made, but would be a little light for the heavier Ruger revolvers.

For the Bearcat, Hunter's Snap-Off model, or nylon by Blackhawk or Uncle Mike, is about it for off-the-rack holsters. I have those as well.

Most of the higher level makers do leather for the Bearcat, for several extra dollars. I don't have those.

Deadeye Tom

Bearcat
Contender has a great take on the Model. My father bought our Bearcat in 1959 when I was 9. It is still my favorite rimfire, no offence inteded to my 22/45, and I will probably never part with it.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
Well BigBob has not come back yet. I agree with all of the above. What Bob dose not know and may misunderstand is his new gun may prove difficult to shoot right off. He may not return to ask the searing questions "What am I doing wrong? What ammo? So that we the faithful BC shooters can gush fourth with sage advice learned at such expense. At the grip of our little cherished revolver.

Cholo

Staff member
I was late when it came to Bearcats, my 1st in '95 or so. Plinked with it for years before I benched it @ 25yds about a year ago; 1st group about 2 1/4" and dead center with my aging eyes :shock: It's my "go to" gun when I plink with my granddaughters. It's going with my 8 yr old GD and me tomorrow.

My blue BC has beautiful fit and finish and the trigger breaks like an icicle, though a bit heavy. I've been meaning to do something about that...someday.

A kid's gun? Yup, I've never grown up :wink:

Okay, I'll stand in for bigbob. What ammo are you guys using? I've tried at least seven different kinds and can't get better than four inch groups at 25 yards. Those four inch groups are consistently 5" high and right. All from a seated bench with wrists rested on sandbags. I tried some high velocity Velocitors and it printed to the sights but still a four inch group. So, maybe the sights were designed to compromise between 22 LR and 22 WMR velocities? I know that it is not a target pistol but I would enjoy it more if it was minute of beer can. What say the faithful? Mike

Cholo

Staff member
I'd start with WW Power-Points or CCI Mini-Mags. My initial group above was with WW PP's. As with all .22's, YMMV...

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
I shoot a mixed bag of cheap walmart ammo or sometimes Remington stuff. I don't spend a lot of money on match ammo. I go for value.

Right out of the box this Ruger gave me "Squirrel Head" groups in the one inch range at 10 yards which is about how far I stand from most squirrels! These groups were exactly to point of aim.

At 25 yards, the longest distance I shoot a rimfire pistol, my benched groups are under 3 inches.

Dan

A

Anonymous

So far, my two have only been fed Wally World Federal HP 550 pack, and CCI HP Mini-Mags. I get two and a half inch groups. Both guns shoot the same, dead center and about 1 1/2 inch low at 25 yards with a "correct" sight picture.

If I move the front blade up to just hide the bull, they are good. I don't plan to file the sights. No matter what you "set" them for, you have to compensate for every other distance anyway, so I'll leave mine unfiled.

I've caught mention online of New Bearcats having a tight .22LR bore and a good cone, and having muzzle velocities typical of a six-inch barrel. I don't know if that's true, but mine seem to outshoot my Single-Six, and do as well as my Mark III.

Cholo

Staff member
Klondike Mike, if you have no luck with the Mini-Mags, you might give CCI's standard velocity a try. The only reason I didn't mention them is that they shoot high for me in all my .22 SA's @ 25yds. and your Bearcat seems to shoot high. Might be worth a try as many swear by them.