Ruger AR 556 Stripped Lower

Help Support Ruger Forum:

modrifle3

Buckeye
I picked up two stripped AR556 lowers Friday. $80 each out the door at my LGS.

I compared them to the two Andersons I have and they are about the same level of fit and finish. Both well made, here are the differences.

Ruger
Pros
Has the pistol grip bolt hole completely tapped.
Has the selector position indicators on both sides.
Front trigger guard hole is drilled through both sides.

Cons
Finish is very rough and not uniform.
Trigger and hammer pin holes had flashing that must be cleaned which will damage the finish.
Depth of the engraving for the serial number is deeper than the Ruger logo, would be nice visually if the equipment was set the same.
Cost more

Anderson
Pros
Nice smooth finish
Decent fit with milspec upper.
Good price, $64.19 out the door.

Cons
Requires a 3/4" grip bolt, also a pro as the bolt can in no way go into the trigger group. Note: Magpul grips come with a 3/4" bolt.
Have to sort, as some have uncleaned flashing and damage on the exterior from tooling.

rangerbob

Buckeye
buckeye bill, your local store is trying to double their money @$139. Bob!! :wink:

Al James

Hunter
The short grip screw issue on the Anderson lowers is a 2 minute fix with a 1/2x28 tap. Anderson states it is left short to eliminate the possibility of the grip screw interfering with the fcg. Interesting that no other manufacturer deviates from the milspec 1" screw and matching threaded receiver. I tap mine during the build since I usually use LPK's from manufacturers other than Anderson. All said, I wouldn't let a grip screw hole stop me from buying one of the Andersons. That roll mark on the other hand..... :wink:

I'm looking forward to picking up one of the Ruger stripped lowers. Last local fun show had them everywhere in sight for $100-130 OTD. I passed in hopes of saving a few bucks after the newness has worn off. Of the ones I handled the fit and finish looked good.

modrifle3

Buckeye
The grip screw isn't an issue for me, just noted as some may not want to mess with tapping it out. Sharp taps in soft aluminum can go south if you don't have the experience.