Ruger and Thompson values

Help Support Ruger Forum:

umaggb

Bearcat
Hey folks, thanks in advance for any info..
Its time for me to get rid of some firearms, age and lack of heirs dictate someone besides the state end up with them.
I have an appointment with Cabella's and would like some input on worth before I go.

T/C single shot pistol 10" bull barrel in .30 Herrett

Blue 3 screw .357 Blackhawk 6in. ..Cabella's sold 2 for 900.00 ...wonder what they gave.

Early Redhawk solid rib, interchangeable front sights (stock) Bullseye springs and Timney trigger...Extensive smithwork...Action rivals early Colt double actions.

Ruger M77RS .284 ... Can't find anything for reference on this rifle. Only defect is one small rust spot near muzzle. Appears to have happened in storage. Wood 100% checkering unmarred

..Pistols repleat w/orig. wood and Hogue grips.

All purchased new by myself. I'm not or never have been a trader.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
I have tried Cabelas a couple of times on selling some nice guns,really just for education purposes on what they would give and it seems their offer is 30%-50% below retail. If you bought these new and had them for years then you have some room to work. You probably can do better selling them yourself. They do have to make money on them like all gun shops. Hope this helps.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
WELCOME to the Ruger Forum, umaggb!

"Early Redhawk..."

What Caliber? Stainless or FULL RUST? :lol:

"Blue 3 screw .357 Blackhawk..."
More info needed on this one too. Serial # ? No Box?

Might be better for you to list them here in the Ruger Forum Classifieds Section and cut out the middle man (Cabella's), but be sure to include location if you do (one of the rules).

umaggb

Bearcat
Sorry, hope this helps
Redhawk Stainless 500-0711x
Blackhawk 30-5450x
M77 70-3085x
Also have odd garage sale item. A5 Browning Light Twelve w/20" Belgium VR M/C barrel and mag extension. Ser 9g56xxx Ex. Cond.
All firearms located in Ft. Worth, Tx w/original packaging and sales receipt

Redstick

Single-Sixer
The Redhawk is from 1981, the second year of production, but you still didn't state what caliber. It would bring a premium if in a caliber other than .44 Magnum. The Timney trigger and smith work won't really add anything to the value.

The Blackhawk is from 1970. Has it been back to the factory to have the Transfer Bar Safety System installed? If so, are the original lockwork parts with it?

Factory Original Boxes are GOOD and add value at least to the Rugers, but tell us what condition the boxes and the guns are in. I think you probably have taken good care fo them, just because you still have the factory original boxes. So give us some idea of the condition. Scratches, blueing wear, etc...

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Without looking at the rifle, the value is $650 to $850. Pictures would help for a better estimate.

Flatbolts don't seem to be selling well now. I assume, due to the economy.

I would expect Cabela's to offer you less than my estimate on the rifle.

I would ordinarily be very interested in the rifle, but it's hunting season here in AK, and all my money is going towards a moose hunt.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
We'll try to help here.
The Redhawk, if it's a 44 mag would be in the $500 range,,, more if 357 mag.
The Blackhawk 357 if it has the box would also be in the $500 range.
The T/C in 30 Herritt would be more like about $450 or so.
The M77 has been listed above.

A lot of these prices depend upon condition, completeness of the package, (boxs, papers etc.)
I would think that a private sale here on the Rugers would get you more $$$ by far than Cabelas would offer. It's easy to find a gun dealer who'll ship them for you and the fees are usually reasonable. (Around $25 for handguns.)
Try posting an ad here in our Classifieds if Cabelas doesn't offer you a fair price. I bet you'd get more from members here. Pictures do help a bunch.

umaggb

Bearcat
Thanks for the info, after reading some classifieds I checked Gunbroker and found a .44 Redhawk comparable to mine w/no box,paperwork etc. I don't know at what point Ruger ceased offering interchangeable front ramp inserts like mine came with. The gun for auction is same year model as mine but has inconsistencies. There is a M77 in .284 Win on this sight for 1250.00 as new with 0 replies. Model 88s are going for a grand. My M77 is VG and has fixed sights, sounds like its worth a trip to the attic to locate the box, lots of emphasis on packaging I;ve noticed. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, evidently its a trader thing. I don't know, economy is tough. Rugers suggested retail for a SS 44 Redhawk in 1981 was 350.00. Like other Ruger offerings only the gun writers had access to the new stuff and if the public wanted a Redhawk the ticket was closer to 500.00 The first Redhawk stainless in .44 I saw went for 525.00 + tax. Setting up a sight so I can upload some pics, just don't have a warm fuzzy feeling..

Noticed you instruct scuba. I was PADI certified in 1973 and went on to instruct basic and underwater navigation. Bet things have changed equipment wise since the K valve and steel tanks. J valves and aluminum were the hot setup when I quit...

flatgate

Hawkeye
Be aware that "east of the Mississippi" prices are usually lower than out in the Western states.

Out West, beaters generally sell for the same money that "shooters" sell for "back east".

Less population means less Rugers. Ah, but, once in a while the "real deal" still shows up....

:D

flatgate

contender

Ruger Guru
As you can see we do try & offer as much help as we can.
yes,,, Flatgate is a correct in that out west in the sparcely populated areas,, prices can be a bit higher. The Redhawk interchangable front sights are still available in a lot of places,,, and even the new ones can be used that way. If you need to post pics,, check out our Gallery section,,, look at the "Sticky" at the top of the page,, and it's a great tutorial on how to post pics.

Scuba,, Ahh yes. I was originally certified in 1979 with PADI,, and went on the doing a lot more diving,, and schooling. I finally got my instructor in 1987,,, and became an Instructor Trainer in 1999. And yes,,, I do recall the earlier equipment and all. Heck,, I still have several steel "72's" and "J" valves myself. How about the bare bones Hawaiian backpacks? Or the horsecollar BC's??
Nowadays,, I use 2 computers,,, and Nitrox regularily. Times have changed.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
The referenced 284 you have observed is a second generation rifle with a three digit prefix. Different animal and a very wishful asking $ in MHO., thus no responses. McKnight's numbers are good on your 284. I Just purchased one in that range. Selling to a retail outfit is not in your best interest, PERIOD. PM sent on your 284. :)

umaggb

Bearcat
I appreciate everyones input and have spent the better part of the day on this sites tuttorials. Hope this venue can stand my first uploading attempts and this is apropos. This is the hardest Ive worked since retirement.
007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

002.jpg

006-1.jpg

RugerCollector

Bearcat
Hawkeye is right. Selling to a retail merchant, whether a gunshop, dealer, pawn or whatever, you'll not get Bluebook prices. The Bluebook even tells us that don't expect these prices..20-50% less to retailers, or to the guy trying to make a living.