Ruger American

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sunnyf16

Bearcat
I am the proud :D owner of a new American in .308 Win. I am anxious try it out. I am curious to see what others think about the American Rifle. All of the reviews I have read were positive.

I am a little disappointed in the feel of the magazine. I wished it felt and looked like the mag of the Deerfield. On the other hand, the bore on this rifle looks really good.

boaman81

Bearcat
I have two so far. One in 243 and a 30-06. The 243 shoots nice tight groups with cheapo blue box Federal 100 gr ammo. Have not had alot of shooting time with either just yet but I do like them and intend to add a 308 soon. For the price its hard to find another rifle that compares. The mags do give me a little concern, not that I have experienced any actual issues yet. Just looked at Rugers website and noticed that a compact model is now listed in 243 and 7mm-08. Add the 7mm-08 to my list of future purchases.

I have hunted for about 15 years with my Ruger No. 1B in .270 Win., so I'm accustomed to what in my opinion is a very fine Ruger rifle. Bear with me.
In recent years it is getting heavier to cart in and out of the woods. With a scope, it comes close to 10 lbs. But it's dead-accurate. No deer has ever taken a second shot, and none have been lost. I love that rifle and will probably never part with it.

My point is I replaced it last year with a Ruger American Rifle .270 Win. Almost 3 lbs lighter, free floated, crowned barrel, same tang safety as on my No. 1, quick, smooth 70 degree bolt throw, weatherproof stock that can take a beating. It shoots 130 gr. Remington Core-bons very well, at a very pleasant recoil for such a light rifle. I plan to see how it handles reloads with Nosler Accu-Bonds next year. And I like the rotary magazine, even though it feels pretty cheap. But I don't think I'll be putting thousands of rounds through my hunting rifle at my age. So the mag. will do just fine.

In short, I don't think you can find a better rifle for $350 street price. I have recommended it to several friends, especially now that they have the compact version available for youngsters and folks of shorter stature. Simply a great value in a fine rifle.

hornet41

Bearcat
After searching local shops for an American in .308, I found one at of all places, wally world!! It followed me home! I topped it with a nikon 3x9x40, cleaned her up and initially sighted at 25 meters. Backed up to 100 and after a few adjustments was shooting 1 MOA consistantly with WW white box NATO (same stuff I feed my M1A's). Next I'm going to feed it some FGGM and see what happens! I'm a happy camper! :mrgreen:

sunnyf16

Bearcat
I agree with the price. I think it is the best $350.00 dollar rifle on the market. I am looking at the Nikon scopes, but am not sure which to go with the Buckmaster or the Monarch series.

I have a Nikon Monarch on my No. 1 and a Nikon Prostaff on my Ruger American. Both great scopes for my purposes under 200 yards (deer hunting and bench sight-ins). Not familiar with the Buckmaster, but Nikons are very nice scopes.
Burris Z rings work very well with the Nikon on my RAR.

sunnyf16

Bearcat
I finally got to shoot the new rifle this last weekend. I paired the .308 with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 and everything went well. The magazine functioned well despite how it feels. I am not a great 100 yard shooter, but this combo made this 1.1 inch group seem easy. :D

photostream

sunnyf16

Bearcat
Sorry I cannot seem to make the photo work :( . Use your imagination and visualize a one inch 4 shot group about an inch high and an inch to the right.

thegman

Bearcat
:D I purchased the American 243 a month ago. Installed a Leupold 3x9 scope and rings on it. While waiting for the reloading dies, components I order I purchased some Winchester 100gr soft tip ammo to take to the range and try it out. For $350 I was not expecting a benchrest shooter. I have to admit the rife really surprised me. At 100 yard a 1 MOA on the plus side. With the 243 you have to take your time in between shoots or the barrel will heat up rapidly. I have to admit I have been really disappointed with other high price rifles in the past, but this $350 is a real keeper. I plan on using it in our summer sporting rifle league at DSC where the requirements are for a rifle under 9 lbs with scope no more than a 3x9 scope.

Wurger

Bearcat
jmfc606 said:
I will be getting the 7mm-08 compact for my daughter when they get to the shelves.

My daughter is only four but she is already eager to go hunting with Daddy. Maybe one in .243 and I could have it broken in by the time she could carry it in the woods? :wink:

BearStopper

Blackhawk
I would own that exact rifle in a heartbeat if I didn't already have too many. Whats not to like about it? Accurate, good trigger, decent looking compared to most in its price range. I suspect that I will eventually break down and get one anyways.

soyarm

Bearcat
Yup the clip looks horrible and cheap and yes it feels cheap also. But, it works like a dream, not a single problem with it yet and I shoot it alot. Goooo Ruger

itsalongshot

Bearcat
:( I have a Ruger American in 30-06. Accuracy OK, extraction OK, trigger OK. But don't count on a quick follow-up shot if you need it. Mine will not eject the empty; it just lays there in the receiver. Wrote to Ruger over a month ago.-----nothing!!!!! By the time the empty clears the receiver there is no push left in the plunger that ejects the case. Does anyone else have this problem?

itsalongshot

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Just call Ruger customer service- they will fix you up right away with a shipping label and repair.

Cedar Creek

Bearcat
I have an American .243 and it shoots great with the first load I tried - 100 gr. R-P bulk bullets over 40 grains of WW760. I talked myself out of buying another one in .308 for $339 last week, but upon further review I think I will buy it if I am back in Oklahoma City in the next couple of weeks. I have about 850 gaschecked 170 grain LazerCast bullets and I plan to set a .308 up for cast loads. Has anyone shot cast bullets in a Ruger American yet?

Cedar Creek

Latest posts