Ruger American Ranch

Help Support Ruger Forum:

9x19

Hunter
Finally found a 5.56 for a decent price ($365), should be here next week. (Picture from Ruger's website:
http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/models.html )

I like the short barrel for getting in and out of my truck, and the .223 is a good coyote pill and easily capable of taking most Texas deer, and even feral hogs with the right load and shorter distance.

Already ordered a couple spare mags (makes it easy to carry different loads and quickly change them out if needed), now I just have to decide what scope goes on top.

6965.jpg

22/45 Fan

Hunter
9x19 said:
Finally found a 5.56 for a decent price ($365).....
Interesting. I checked the Ruger web site and the American Ranch Rifle is indeed 5.56 NATO chambered. Before I bought my standard left-handed American I asked Ruger if the .223 chambered version could be used with 5.56 ammo and they were quite emphatic it could not. The chambers are sufficiently different that .223 can be safely used in a 5.56 but not the other way around. Enjoy your new rifle.

Al James

Hunter
Great little rifle! Which LOP did you get? I'm tall but I was thinking about going with the shorter of the two just for handiness. I have used various calibers which shoot .224 diameter bullets on deer with good results. The 1-8" twist will stabilize the heavier "hunting" bullets quite well. I have yet to see one of these rifles in person, but I really like the concept. Congrats and let us know how it shoots!

9x19

Hunter
Mine should arrive this week... will add a follow-up once it does.

The .300 AAC with the lighter loads would be fine for deer/hogs at reasonable distance, but ammo costs are a bit high even compared to the brass-case .223 or 7.62x39.

I'll probably be happy with this one for now. :mrgreen:

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
never had a bolt or a semi auto that had a bit of problems using either.
22/45 Fan said:
9x19 said:
Finally found a 5.56 for a decent price ($365).....
Interesting. I checked the Ruger web site and the American Ranch Rifle is indeed 5.56 NATO chambered. Before I bought my standard left-handed American I asked Ruger if the .223 chambered version could be used with 5.56 ammo and they were quite emphatic it could not. The chambers are sufficiently different that .223 can be safely used in a 5.56 but not the other way around. Enjoy your new rifle.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
This is on my want list also. I have seen the varmint model with the green stock and it is very tempting but I am trying to hold out for the ranch one because it is chambered in 5.56 and has the shorter barrel unlike the varmint that is chambered in .223. I hope it performs well for you.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Lloyd Smale said:
never had a bolt or a semi auto that had a bit of problems using either.
I've read both sides of that controversy. There is no question the 5.56 chamber is cut to different specs than a .223 Rem. but how much difference that makes in real world use I can't tell for sure. I do know Ruger was quite emphatic in saying not to use 5.546 spec ammo in my .223 Rem American so i'll just reload to .223 specs but I know I can use surplus and once-fired 5.56 brass with no problem.

bentblade

Single-Sixer
I just purchased one but haven't picked it up yet. I went with the longer length of pull, I had the gun shouldered and operated the bolt. The shorter one would have allowed the bolt to hit my nose.
I paid $399

9x19

Hunter
Mine is the full size stock as well... it arrived at my LGS yestrday, so I'll stop in this morning.

Hwy84

Bearcat
I'm looking for one as well, either caliber will work. Looks like a great truck gun!

9x19

Hunter
For those not opposed to shopping on line, this is the place I bought mine. On-line checkout, accepts emailed FFLs and shipped promptly with tracking info (at a reasonable price).

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=458050819

bpartwthog

Bearcat
Just picked mine up at Cabela's yesterday...I too was looking for a nice handy BOLT action that shoots .223 and the 5.56 round...I mounted a Bushnell 3 x 9 x 40 AR optic, looks sharp....I will also add a flash/muzzle brake on as well...stock looks great...

9x19

Hunter
I some rounds thru mine this weekend, shoots great, even with the 69gr OTM rounds. I have three magazines, and no feed issues with any of them.

I put a Burris 2x-7x scope on top of mine, which will stay and a Levang linear comp out front, which won't. It was nice at the bench but if I keep a comp on, I will find something a bit slimmer and shorter... maybe the one from Simple Threaded Devices.

Ruger American Ranch .223 with a Burris 2x-7x 35mm
RugerAmRanch_zps1d45d71d.jpg

I thought about one in .300 BO, but then I took the old Springfield 840 (.30/30) out this weekend as well and just don't see the need for another light .30 since this one still shoots very well with Hornady's 140 Leverevolution ammo.

Savage340vdb_zps9a710d26.jpg

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
Nice looking should neve be used in conjunction with plastic. Functional, practical, et al, maybe, but never nice looking. Just my opinion though - to each his own. TD