Ruger American Predator 308

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
So, I just picked up the rifle I bought for a friend. He wanted something for deer hunting which was short and light to carry. Intestingly I found the factory scope base loose. All screws were easy to turn out without any force being used. I cleaned the base and rifle and reinstalled it using blue locktite and the proper torque. I also cleaned all of the factory lube off of it and lightened the trigger. When removing the lube from the action I found the clean rag I was using had turned brown. It did not happen when cleaning the barrel. It also appears that the finish on action and barrel is very easily marked and seems fragile when compared to old fashioned hot bluing. Mounted a Zeiss scope, 2-7, and will head to the range soon.
I would welcome comments from anyone with experience with this rifle. Dave

Chief 101

Hunter
I bought the same rifle a couple of years ago when they came out...it has been flawless in operation. Mine gets reloaded for and seems the mid sized bullets do the best(around 150 gr). Velocity loss from t he short barrel is not noticeable and I used a Chrony. Magazines fit flat and are reliable. I am happy with mine, it goes bang everytime and hits what I am aiming at...easy to carry...

Chief 101

Hunter
I have had no finish problems like you mention so I think you may have something to talk to Ruger about if you think its an issue but in terms of groups, with a bipod and bench I think (been some time) since I was happy with it, groups were consistent and with 150 Partitions and 4-12 Vortex I was close to .5 inch at 100 yds. 165 Hornadys opened a wee bit and 125 Sierra's tripled in size. All in all any of these well suffice for hunting. All, as I said were repeatable and without changing with barrel temp. I don't sell Ruger guns but I bought this to shoot Whitetail in the muddy mountains where we find them here and to bounce around in the pickup when needed.

CraigC

Hawkeye
It's a matte, bead blasted finish. The slightly rougher surface is going to pick up what looks like scuffs from fingernails and hands but it's not permanent. It's your skin or nails rubbing off on the finish, it is not fragile at all.

I have the standard American in 308 and the American Predator in 223. Both shoot well under MOA. I have sot 1 inch groups at 200 yards with both using factory ammo and reloads.

CraigC is correct about the finish. No problems with mine.