Ruger American heavy barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
Good day.

I am not sure if there was a post on this already. I tried searching, but had no luck finding one.

What are the chances of ruger producing a heavy barreled version of this rifle? Would you buy one and in what cal?

Pieter.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Doubt we will see one. The whole idea of the american is a low cost basic rifle. If they cannot make something new without changing the core components, the receiver and stock it seems very unlikely they would. As for the caliber I would like a 22-250. Which thye are going to be offering. Which I am very pleased with. Wanted a knock around 22-250 for behind the truck seat. Should fit the bill and about half the cost of a tikka. Gotta see what the twist rate really is first though.

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Yeah I wouldn't expect a heavy barrel version either. I have been waiting for the 22-250 version and have an order in at my lgs. It has a 10" twist per Ruger's web site. I'm buying this at a time when I'm selling a lot of my rifles.

chet15

Hawkeye
Well, you might be surprised with Ruger. There's two calibers offered in a compact version for this year as a new model. And a heavy barrel version is only a barrel and different stock contour, so its not like they'd be costing the company that much more.
So I'd have to disagree....with almost 100,000 sold in a year I think that within the next one or two years you'll see a heavy barreled American. It is still going to be a whole lot cheaper than the M77Mark II Varmint model.
Chet15

Philbee

Bearcat
Heck didn't I read that it has a barrel nut like a Savage? Buy an after market bbl and have a good smith thread it to fit. I have changed bbl's on Savage rifles myself and believe me, if I can do it without trouble, ANYONE CAR!. Head space the new bbl on a cartridge case from YOUR resizing die and it will be perfect.

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
I was thinking with the new bedding system and other features it would make a great varmint/culling rifle. Think a 22-250 and 243 would sell pretty well.

Pieter