Ruger American Broken Magazine Issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I am shooting a 2016 Ruger American in .223 Rem and have issues with the magazine release breaking. Is it just me or is this a common problem with these plastic magazines?
It seems that these magazin releases are even more fragile during colder temperatures. Are there any better after market mags available?
New and Broken Mag.jpg
Broken Mag Release.jpg

bentblade

Single-Sixer
I am shooting a 2016 Ruger American in .223 Rem and have issues with the magazine release breaking. Is it just me or is this a common problem with these plastic magazines?
It seems that these magazin releases are even more fragile during colder temperatures. Are there any better after market mags available?
View attachment 13319View attachment 13320
How many have you broken? If only one it could be you, the mag or both. If you have broken more than one I would say it was you. I would contact Ruger and ask them. You might get a new magazine.

Last edited:
Thanks, I bought back ups just in case. If another one breaks I will let Ruger know.
Since nobody with the same problem responded to my post, I have to assume it is a "one of" situation.

Paul kaiser

Bearcat
How many have you broken? If only one it could be you, the mag or both. If you have broken more than one I would say it was you. I would contact Ruger and ask them. You might get a new magazine.
I've just recently broke mine ! Since I'm retired $$ is tight. So I took a piece of hard wood and made one ! I know it's not pretty, but it works for now until I get a new one!!

Attachments

• 20230218_192346.jpg
    20230218_192346.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230218_192240.jpg
    20230218_192240.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 73

Paul kaiser

Bearcat
I contacted the service department because I had just had them correct the head spacing, they had the rifle. Complete with the magazine, I got it back, loaded the mag, went to reinsert it and it fell apart. They told me that it was fine when they had it ! I was outside and it was 20 degrees! But it should've never broke. So I did use a piece of hard wood to make one. I'm now making the latch out of aluminum, that won't break ! I just wish they made the mag out of aluminum!!

I have a TC Compass that also uses a plastic magazine. This is something that has concerned me and I'm VERY careful in handling/inserting/removing the magazine especially in cold temps.
I'd really rather have the mag catch as part of the rifle (and METAL).

'Old school for sure but there's a reason for "blued steel and walnut"...'
I don't have bad feelings about synthetic stocks and such but I do have concerns about plastic magazines with self contained mag latches. I have full confidence in synthetic magazines such as MagPul but those hinky widget mag catches present significant problems of their own.

gunzo

Hunter
If this is the second version American stock I think the mag module can be swapped for the one that accepts AR15 mags.
You may or may not like that, as even a 5 round in that configuration will protrude some. But!!! you mag problems would likely be over with.

Otherwise, if this were mine & I was sure the breakages weren't my fault I'd be talking to Ruger about a solution from thiem & would be pretty persistent about it, as the Americans have been plagued with mag issues.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
If this is the second version American stock I think the mag module can be swapped for the one that accepts AR15 mags.
You may or may not like that, as even a 5 round in that configuration will protrude some. But!!! you mag problems would likely be over with.

Otherwise, if this were mine & I was sure the breakages weren't my fault I'd be talking to Ruger about a solution from thiem & would be pretty persistent about it, as the Americans have been plagued with mag issues.
You are right , the parts to do this are about $25 if I remember correctly. That price was from a rug er cust. Service person maybe 2 years ago ?