ruger all of a sudden

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Well in the last 2 weeks I have traded for 2 ruger 77 rifles. 1 a older tang safety 300 win mag and the other a 25-06 in model 77. Both guns are in great shape and are good shooters. I am also working on getting a 77 7mm mag as we read this. They are popping up everywhere. I took the 25-06 and the 300 mag out and zeroed both in. I used a lead sled and at 100 yds can hit a spot the size of a nickel with both rifles. I am impressed with the shooting of these rifles. Not bad for a old guy like myself. I have always been a remington 700 guy in the past but these rifles are impressive to shoot. I may call and check on the 7mm and see how it's going in a minute. I have never really cared for the 7mm mag caliber before I went more to the 300's for the wide variety of bullets available.

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
I have fired several 7mm Mags and do not care for the recoil. If you hand load you can use a 7mm Mauser and load it up a bit and have a nicer cartridge to shoot.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Well the first deal on the 7mm has fallen thru. I may still get it just have to go another route. as far as recoil goes the 300 win 77 is a pleasure to shoot. I have shot it on the lead sled and off and it's not bad at all for recoil. It has a limbsaver recoil pad installed and is a smooth shooter. The 25-06 is a smooth shooting gun also. I'm a big old boy and recoil doesn't bother me like some people. I have shot many rifles with a good bit more recoil than either of the rugers with no problem. I have a 338 ultra mag and a 300 ultra mag plus 3 8mm mag rifles I shoot also with no problem in the recoil dept. The worst recoiling rifle I have ever shot was a 30-06 model 670 winchester this gun was brutal and I have shot turtles with a 458 mag with no problem.

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
ive seen lots of nice used bolt guns at the gun shop lately. i think alot of people are trading them in on black guns while they still can.

Major T

Blackhawk
Amen to the recoil. It doesn't hurt as in pain, but I have a pacemaker. That means blood thinners for life. Recoil leaves me bruised as if I were shooting a light weight, non padded, three inch 12ga. (Think Ithaca deer slayer.) Most of my rifle shooting these days is with lighter recoiling calibers, padded rifles, or at least using a shirt with a padded shoulder.

My dear departed MIL told me that getting old was not for sissies! How right she was. Jack

boaman81

Bearcat
I have a tang safety 77 in 7mm Rem Mag. It also has a Limbsaver pad on it. Very pleasant to shoot. Tried all kinds of high dollar ammo in it over the years and it shot groups around 2". Just by luck one day was digging through old ammo and came across two boxes of Federal 150gr soft point a friend had given me. Figured I would just shoot it for fun. Turns out it would put 5 rounds into less than an inch. Been using the cheap stuff ever since with this one.

Its also one of those head scratchers in that it shoots to the same point at 100 and 300 yards with no drop. At 200 its about a 1/2 inch high.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Well I haven't gotten the 7mm ruger yet but ai did get a 7mm mag remington 700. The ruger is still available and I may end up with it later. I'm still working on getting it just haven't decided yet. The remington was only fired 5 times from new and is a super nice rifle. I have never really liked a 7mm mag. but am open to changing my mind. I have owned many in the past just never really gave them a chance. I am a 30 caliber guy and like the variety of bullet weights offered in 30 cal.

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
kwg020 said:
As I get older I like the recoil less and less. kwg

Not a Ruger but you haven't felt recoil until you have shot one of these.German Weatherby MKV 340 ,at 9 1/2 lbs it is brutal,my No1's in 375 and 458 are not even close..The original owner bought it new in 1978,shot five rounds and sold it to a friend of mine.I bought it from him in 1983 with the original box ammo that came with the gun and still had seven rounds left,he couldn't handle it due to back problems.I have probably shot about seventy five myself,put up with it because i just love the damn thing.

P4010370.jpg