Ruger Alaskan loads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Peacemaker

Bearcat
I don't live in Alaska but I do hike the backwoods of the Adirondacks. That's why I bought the Alaskan in .454. Easy to carry while fishing and picking mushrooms. I'd like some advice from the wise guru's on the forum. What would you suggest as a really good handload for bear protection out of this little 2 1/2 inch .454 Casul? I have three powders to work with; H-110, H-4227, and Unique. I would also like to know what bullet you would pair them up with for the ultimate stopper. Not looking for anything tame. If I have to shoot, what I shoot at has to stop. If there is another powder that you feel is better, let me know. I'm open for any advice. Thanks in advance.

pps

Single-Sixer
Peacemaker said:
I don't live in Alaska but I do hike the backwoods of the Adirondacks. That's why I bought the Alaskan in .454. Easy to carry while fishing and picking mushrooms. I'd like some advice from the wise guru's on the forum. What would you suggest as a really good handload for bear protection out of this little 2 1/2 inch .454 Casul? I have three powders to work with; H-110, H-4227, and Unique. I would also like to know what bullet you would pair them up with for the ultimate stopper. Not looking for anything tame. If I have to shoot, what I shoot at has to stop. If there is another powder that you feel is better, let me know. I'm open for any advice. Thanks in advance.

Well...how big do your bears get in your neck of the woods? I will say, for magnum loads H-110 is hard to beat. Not really sure you need 454 power, but here is a bullet I can HIGHLY recommend...it's the Mihec 325 grain LFN (it can also be hollow pointed)

Here is a picture of what they look like recovered from a rubber mulch bullet trap, and the stats for each bullet. The lower left bullet is a 158 grain .357 mag for a size comparison. The solids were water dropped wheel weights (air cooled would have actually mushroomed a bit)
Huntingammotests.jpg

These bullets are accurate. My favorite load is to download them a bit, down to 1100fps by using HS-6 Even at this slower velocity, if you do your job, the non-hollow point bullet will do its job and penetrate most animals from front to back.
IMG_7079_edited-1.jpg

steve b

Single-Sixer
I won't pretend to know why, but central Pa on into central and upstate NY comes up with some real big buster black bears ! Every year some 500+ lb'ers turn up. Add to this that in a defensive bear shootin' its gonna be most likely a head-on shot. So gear things for penetration. NO HP's need apply. IMHO. steve b

Heywatchthis

Bearcat
I think the only time you have to get defensive with a black bear is if you try to take food out of its mouth or mess with a baby with momma around.

That being said, I've crossed paths with them several times in recent years which is why I either have a 44 or 45 colt with me at all times in the forest. They always run the other way and they sure can get big. BUT,one never knows do one?

Peacemaker

Bearcat
Thank you, guys, for your reply and info. Is there anyone out there who re-loads for this powerful little revolver? I'm looking specifically for loads that are geared to this tiny barrel while still packing the .454 punch.

anachronism

Single-Sixer
There are no "magic" loads for short barreled guns. Some loaders try loading faster burning powders to get more velocity from short barrels, but there are so many potential tradeoffs involved that your best bet is to find a load that you like and stick with it. A 454 with a 2 inch barrel will always come up short against a 7-1/2 barrelled gun. You can juggle bullet design to an extent for improved terminal performance, but there are tradeoffs there too. You need to decide what performance you need, and then figure out how to get it. This holds true with both factory ammo, and with reloading.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I would settle for less than max 454 loads in your short barreled gun for NY woods carry. Something in the mid to upper 45 Colt loads would do the trick for me, handloaded or mail ordered. I'd think Cabela's or MidwayUSA should have some to choose from.

Yes, I like to carry in the woods too. I also believe unless you are somewhere near Yellowstone or in AK bear dangers are not a big deal. Depending on what I'm doing a lighter hi-cap 40 s&w suits me fine.

Latest posts