Ruger Adjustable Rear Sight Blade Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mickeyboat

Bearcat
This has to do with the small black blade with the notch in it for Ruger single action revolvers with an adjustable rear sight. Is that blade the same other than width of the notch for all Ruger Single actions, i.e. Blackhawk flattops, Blackhawk 3 screws, new model Blackhawks, and 32 single sixes with adjustable rear sights?? I recall the width of the rear notch depends on the length of the barrel the gun left the factory with. Are they all interchangeable except for width of the notch?

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
YEP !! It is also the same as all the Micro sight blades ever made as well as the Colt ACCRO rear sight blades. The new Ruger blades have a nubbin on their bottom that must be removed to use 'em in an old sight frame; NBD at all.

mickeyboat

Bearcat
WIL TERRY said:
YEP !! It is also the same as all the Micro sight blades ever made as well as the Colt ACCRO rear sight blades. The new Ruger blades have a nubbin on their bottom that must be removed to use 'em in an old sight frame; NBD at all.
Which of the Ruger Single actions would be considered "an old sight frame"? What is NBD, not familiar with that term??

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
Does anyone have or has anyone seen a listing of the various blades available and their respective part numbers?

Over the years I have ordered a number of different blades (i.e. different part numbers), but have no idea what blade / size / notch width goes with what Ruger part number. A nice cross reference would be very handy from time-to-time.

k22fan

Blackhawk
There are at least two heights. I only know because I have ordered taller blades. Ruger did not offer different width notches so my guess is that similar to S&W there is only one width. The light bars appear wider as barrels get longer. However, I don't own adjustable sighted Rugers with barrels under 5 ½" to compare.

Incidentally, there's also the wide "V" notch that is usually sold paired with a gold bead.

There's been good info in this thread. I did not know the same blades fit Micro and Colt Accro sights.

choirboy

Bearcat
I know the 10" maximum had a lower blade with a 1/10" notch. I changed mine out on my KS411N when I shot IHMSA. It was allowed as long as it was a factory part and interchangeable. The 1/10th front helped on turkeys. Had to crank up the elevation over the original.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
I did a little research and found some Ruger part numbers by looking at Brownells, Midway, shopruger.com. et cetera. While notch sizes were not indicated in any of the catalog descriptions, the pictures in various places did show some blades with a wider notch than others. Unfortunately, the same part number in several places would show different pictures (using stock photos?).

In my parts box, I do have Ruger blades that have wider notches than others, so I know they are out there (or at least were at one time). I do not what part numbers I have, as they are just loose - no packaging.

For what it is worth, here are the numbers and descriptions I found. Ruger seems to have two different numbering systems associated with parts - I will show both.

MR05901 (61037) No White Outline

E05904 (90036) White Outline

????? (90243) V notch

H07203-DA (?) White Outline / Higher sight

H07203A (?) White Outline / Higher sight

Notice the last two may be the same part just listed differently (incorrectly?) in one of my sources.

Anybody else have any thing else to add? Maybe we can create our own reference list.

It seems Ruger does not offer "accessory" sight blades but only those that are used in the production of certain models. We've figured out that blades made for different models have different widths and heights and are , in fact, interchangeable, but Ruger parts people, like most parts people, are only interested in numbers. So you may get nowhere asking them about interchangeability.

I recently wanted a higher rear blade for my New Model Flat Top. The match-up of the front sight post width and rear notch width is ideal for target work, but I wanted a higher rear blade. The #HO7203 is known to be "higher" but seems to be out of stock everywhere. If I could find it, it would cist me about $6-10. What I bought from Midway was a complete rear sight assembly for the KS-47N, 7.5" SBH Hunter. Good deal...it came with the high white outline blade, complete for $16, meaning I got other parts (springs, pin, screws) to scavenge if I needed them. Unfortnately, the rear notch is wider and I can't give up my narrow notch.

Turns out my '57 OM Flat Top and my Lipsey NM Flat Top both use the Micro sight and it comes with a 0.110-.115" notch. I still have an MMC replacement blade with WO and .110" notch. The NM guns with the Ruger chicken sight come with a 0.140" notch. I also discovered you can buy from Midway a rear sight blade for a Mark II with 10" bull barrel for $3. That blade will interchange with other Ruger sights and the notch is only 0.090" if one wanted to customize their notch width.

Tell a Ruger parts person you want a .090" notched blade for a Blackhawk and they'll say it doesn't exist.