Ruger 96/44

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cworetired

Single-Sixer
Local shop has one very nice shape. I had never seen one but it sure looks like a nice handy shooter. Are they a good gun? Anything I should look for when I go back in there? Thanks

wwb

Hunter
If you're a deer hunter and you hunt in the woods where a shot will be 100 yards or less, it's an ideal gun - short, lightweight, and quick to point. Don't expect target rifle accuracy, but it will work for whitetails - mine will shoot a 3 inch group. Top it with a 1-4X scope or something similar and never look back.

Single-Sixer
I always thought they could have done better with the stock---kind of a Ruger #3 look vs. what it would/should look like with #1 wood and treatment. Magazines I'm told are hard to find, but that's anecdotal. A latter-day Savage 99 with the rotary mag, on a lesser scale.

I regrettably sold mine. Great shooter. Feels like a 10/22 on steroids. I heard a few people had problems with the case hardening on the lever rusting. Mine never did. Go for it.

I gave up trying to replace it and got a 77/44 just recently.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have had one for a long time and I really enjoy shooting with it. It is quick and light and can shoot mild to wild rounds if they fit in the magazine. The lever has only a 30 degree throw for quick follow-up shots. Magazines and many small parts are available at Midway. https://www.midwayusa.com/ruger-96-44m/br?cid=16175 I put a 4X scope on mine with the Ruger rings. The gun came with rings.

The only downside I found with mine was the fact that it would string shots vertically when heating up. I reduced that by snugging the action in the stock and keeping the barrel band a little loose. :D

Oh, how I wish they still made them in 357, 41 and 44 magnum with a better Walnut stock. :D

Getting the magazine in and out can be a little tricky. I lay the gun on it's side and push the mag release button and grab with index and thumb, front to back, and pull it out. To put it in, press the mag release button and with the lever open a little get it started, then push the mag in until it clicks. :D

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I also owned one several years ago. Recoil was surprisingly stout and accuracy was quite mediocre. There was only one action bolt holding the barreled action in the stock so the "bedding" was not very precise.

To remove the magazine the instruction manual says to open the lever a little ways. That was the one thing that took getting used to. I had a Leupold compact 2x scope on mine, and could hit pop cans in the air with it. Light and fast shooting lever.

cworetired

Single-Sixer
I picked it up $500 out the door with 3 mags and lower end Bushnell scope. Dosent look like it was shot much. I think I will like it.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
cworetired said:
I picked it up $500 out the door with 3 mags and lower end Bushnell scope. Dosent look like it was shot much. I think I will like it.

Good deal. Resist the urge to add one of those aftermarket recoil pads that are curved to follow the stock contours - they do nothing to help recoil. My "stock wish" for the 96 would be a nice flat Limbsaver or Boyds making an aftermarket.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
The 96/44 was a great rifle. Mag capacity and the stock probable was it's downfall and rumors of poor accuracy did not help. I love the couple I have. Both are as accurate as one can hope for from a 44 mag rifle. As for the stock Ruger should of offered something different. I lucked into a custom stocked 96/44, the configuration that ruger should of made

9f14186c-a666-4e92-b805-d03445eea75e_zpsihiy5juk.jpg

wunbe

Buckeye
I bet that accuracy coulsd be much improved with a fiberglass bedding tailored to the action design. The old semi auto 44 carbine was much improved by that fix.

wunbe

mike7mm08

Buckeye
wunbe said:
I bet that accuracy coulsd be much improved with a fiberglass bedding tailored to the action design. The old semi auto 44 carbine was much improved by that fix.

wunbe

The custom mannlicher is bedded very well. Both action and barrel. Accuracy is improved slightly over my factory stock gun. Consistence is greatly improved. There is not a load the custom will not shoot very well. Impact might change with different loads but everything I have tried has grouped under two inches most right around inch and a half. The factory stocked gun us on the high side of two inch groups with a load it likes. With a load it don't like we are talking patterns not groups.