Ruger 77 tang safety serial Numbers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

elkhunter73

Bearcat
I have a Ruger 77 tang safety in a 7 mag, that was made in 1970 according to the serial number. My question is where or how one can find out the range of serial numbers for the 7 mag? Just curious if mine was an early or late serial in 1970

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
You could be helped better if we knew the actual serial number and configuration, round bolt, flat, or hollow bolt.

elkhunter73

Bearcat
I am not comfortable giving the full serial number is this enough 70-27XXX

I din't know the bolt makes a difference, mines is a hollow bolt

3DTESTIFY

Single-Sixer
Your rifles serial number falls within the known range of 7mm hollow bolt rifles in the "R" configuration, clean barrel with no sights. Other configurations are "RS" with sights, or "ST" with sights and round top receiver drilled & tapped for standard M700 bases. Which configuration is your rifle?

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
Your rifle was made in the last seven months of 1971. Probably close to the middle of the year. All hollow bolts are early guns. The long action guns came out a while after the short action guns.

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
Huh :!: :?: :?: :?:

Keep in mind that there are NO short action Hollow Bolts. Robert is right - the Long Action Hollow Bolts came out years (3 or 4) before the short Action Flat Bolts were used up. Most Hollow Bolts were shipped in 1971.

chet15

Hawkeye
elkhunter73, the only sure way to tell when your gun left the factory though is by factory letter. Some guns leave years or even decades after they were built.
Ruger's serial number/dates of manufacture info is only a general guide.
chances are however, your gun left within the time described by Ruger's date.
Chet15