Ruger 77 Hawkeye Varmint Model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
Never understood why Ruger changed the name of the 77 MK2 to the Hawkeye, but oh well. I owned one of these several years ago and had to sell it after I got divorced. It was an absolute tack driver and I have always wanted another one. Well, I just got this one. Haven't had the chance to see if this one is as sweet as the one I used to own. This is the heavy barreled varmint model in .308

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Nice she should get the job done I had the same gun in 22-250 but sold it to get a #1ab the 77 was too heavy to carry.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
"Never understood why Ruger changed the name of the 77 MK2 to the Hawkeye"
Marketing. There are differences enough to make it a new model. The stock was slimmed a bit and the available finishes were changed. No more high gloss. It also marked the introduction of the LC6 trigger although later MKII's had it. The Hawkeye name has some history at Ruger.

chet15

Hawkeye
gunman42782 said:
Never understood why Ruger changed the name of the 77 MK2 to the Hawkeye,

That's an interesting question. I have a copy of a letter here from early 2006 that I sent to the powers to be at Ruger (Steve Sanetti) asking about the 50th Anniversary of the Hawkeye Pistol that was coming up in a few years at the time and of course gave the spiel as to why I thought an anniversary Hawkeye pistol would probably sell like gangbusters....it seemed everybody and anybody knew what the 1963/1964 Hawkeye was and that just from the sheer nostalgic thought of it, would probably sell by the trainload, especially since prices of original Hawkeye pistols were at least 20 times the price of the original $87.50 price tag. Everybody wants a Hawkeye, just not everybody is willing to part with $2K to get an original specimen.
Then, after the 50th Anniversary was over (2014/2015), Ruger could continue the series by offering the gun in different chamberings....yes, with cartridge lengths at least as long as the .357 Maximum...Ruger did this very thing in the early 1980's on an original Hawkeye frame in .357 Maximum!
Lo and behold, never did get a reply to my letter, but a few months later Ruger introduced the Ruger Hawkeye bolt action rifle. I like to think I stirred the idea of the name "Hawkeye" for them at the time, but probably not.
Chet15

SonofBassMan

Bearcat
I am sorry you had to sell your rifle.

The Hawkeye has some cosmetic changes in stock shape in sporter type rifles - slimmer with wrap around checkering - new calibers including the RCM's, steel bottom metal and the LC6 trigger. I have a MKII with a LC6 trigger that has been skillfully fitted by increasing the distance between the arm that contacts the rotating round surface that locks the trigger. Both MKII & Hawkeye are similar in many ways.

Of interest I have 2 MKII's that are push feed types with non rotating Mauser type extractors - time marches on.

I like my MKII's and Hawkeye lots and never had any issues with any of them - probably the toughest most reliable rifle out there rivaling my 1950's version FN/98 types.