Ruger 77-220 Swift. tang saftey

Help Support Ruger Forum:

alleyyooper

Bearcat
I blame Jack O'Conner for my wanting a swift for a very long time. I found many a bull barrel model in several brands but. Just could not seem to get the idea of carrying all that weight thru deep snow for a bit of time for a chance at a coyote.
I had about given up on ever getting a swift and just using a 243 when this Ruger seemed to appear by magic.
I have had it for about 14 years now and still do not like the trigger pull weight. To the point I just don't shoot it as much as I would like. I have looked all over the place to find a manual or some thing to help me adjust the adjustable trigger on it.

Can some one help me out on this before I sell it and buy a Remington 700 and wild cat it. You can find trigger adjustment stuff for the 700 all over the place on the net.

Thanks
:mrgreen: Al

Architorture23

Bearcat
I hunted with a pheasant guide up in SoDak that kept an M77 in .220 Swift in his truck for coyotes and other sort of vermin. That thing was murder on a jackrabbit...

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
I have a M77 Swift 26" heavier barrel with the tang safety. I reworked the existing trigger, great shooting gun.

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
I have a M77 Swift 26" heavier barrel with the tang safety. I reworked the existing trigger, great shooting gun.

alleyyooper

Bearcat
First off If I need to spend money on this rifle to get a good trigger I'm just going to sell it and find a Remington 700 243, 308 and rebarrel it with a 22 cal. barrel.

One of the fellows I coyote hunt with has one and I covet it very much. Almost a good as the swift but his stock trigger is 10 times better.

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Sometimes it can be as simple as backing out the screw that is in the trigger. Just look at the top of the trigger use a allen wrench and back it out, check pull weight make sure you can work bolt with some force and not have the bolt drop. I have a book that tells how to go about the whole process.
PM me and I will go over it with you.

Jeff

alleyyooper

Bearcat
Friend brought his trigger pull scale over yesterday. At 72 ounces the limit on his RCBS scale the trigger still had not broke.

harves

Bearcat
I have the same rifle in .220 swift & adjusted my trigger which is great. My suggestion is take it to a good gun smith & have him adjust it for you.

alleyyooper

Bearcat
What amazes me is that Ruger's with tang safeties have been around for many years and you can not find one bit of information on adjusting the factory trigger which is adjustable I am sure with the 3 screws. Do a search for Remington 700 trigger adjustments and at least 5 pages on the internet with instructions on how to adjust them come up. Search for Ruger adjustments and you get a page about honing the MKII trigger.

alleyyooper

Bearcat
sure would be nice to know why the factory adjustable trigger on this rifle is such a top secert thing.
Even the gun shop I took it to Saturday told me their smith didn't know any thing about ajusting it.

chuck

Blackhawk
Timmy makes trigger for them, I put 2 of them on 2 of my 77 no problems and they are great, one time I talked to Ruger and the person I talked to said for $30.00 they would adjust the trigger down to 3# course you have shipping on to that. I have an old stock trigger that was crapp think I will tare it apart and see if it can be made decent.

Latest posts