Ruger 77/17 explodes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm with WIL TERRY, lots of missing information here:
Are you trying to measure head space on the still un-repaired rifle? Is the one Ruger sent back the same one or did they repair/replace it? It is starting to seem kind of odd. It is also very unlikely they didn't send any paperwork with the returned rifle, very very strange.

If the rifle isn't repaired, why bother measuring anything?

lewgroth

Bearcat
Kevin said:
Are you trying to measure head space on the still un-repaired rifle? Is the one Ruger sent back the same one or did they repair/replace it? It is starting to seem kind of odd. It is also very unlikely they didn't send any paperwork with the returned rifle, very very strange.

I have told everything I know, The rifle has not been repaired or even cleaned. This is the same rifle that was sent in a long time ago, it was at that time worked on and sent back with paper work, I have that paper work. Yes, I did measure the head space on the unrepaired rifle. They DID NOT send any paper work back with the rifle now. I AM TELLING THE WAY IT IS, NO PAPER WORK, SAME RIFLE. Did I come to the wrong place to get help?

lewgroth

Bearcat
Kevin said:

Maybe to find the cause?

lewgroth

Bearcat
No-1 said:
lewgroth said:
mishtub said:
We asked for them to return everything, if they will or not is another question. :x

Heard they will not return a firearm that in their opinion is unsafe.

I did get everything back, rifle, cases and, clip pieces, I wouldn't doubt it would fire, and it wouldn't be safe. It wasn't before this happened, I just didn't know it.

Precision32

Blackhawk
I've read of 22LR having rims as thin as 0.033". With a maximum headspace of 0.054" it is conceivable that you could get a 0.020" feeler gauge in there. Using a spent case all bets are off. Can you try that with an unfired cartridge from the same lot of ammo that went KABOOM?

How did you measure the headspace of the unrepaired rifle?

Why measure the headspace? To try and determine what made the rifle go KABOOM.

lewgroth

Bearcat
Precision32 said:
I've read of 22LR having rims as thin as 0.033". With a maximum headspace of 0.054" it is conceivable that you could get a 0.020" feeler gauge in there. Using a spent case all bets are off. Can you try that with an unfired cartridge from the same lot of ammo that went KABOOM?

How did you measure the headspace of the unrepaired rifle?

Why measure the headspace? To try and determine what made the rifle go KABOOM.

I will measure the same way with a live round when I can do it in a safe area. I can put the bolt in and it seems to b ok but the head space is way to much, think the rifle could be fired if I had enough guts to do it. Yes, would like to know what the cause was. I have noticed that at times the end of case was bulged, but didn't know how dangerous it was.

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
With pictures we may be able to help you more.

Without pictures we can't do anything but guess and even with pictures most of us would be guessing. If you really want help, post the pictures you have been promising us. The longer you put off posting pictures, and then criticizing us with your "Did I come to the wrong place to get help?" comment, is making me wonder if this really happened at all.

Post some pictures.

DM

mishtub

Blackhawk
lewgroth said:
mishtub said:
I would love to see pictures, if possible.

Ruger has the rifle yet. We asked for them to return everything, if they will or not is another question. I will post pic. when I can, thanks for asking. I think Ruger opened up a can of worms. :x

No.1, this is the correct quote not quite the way it is in your post on page 6. :roll:

lewgroth

Bearcat
Pictures are posted here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/109164389939501209437/albums/5947646012851022193?authkey=CMq__sK1oeHUYQ

COWTOWNER

Single-Sixer
Wow, from re-reading the post here, Ruger sent THAT rifle back to you without and explanation, or any comment, "sorry about that" or any thing. Amazing, I sure hope I have missed something or that there is more to the story from you folks, or from Ruger.
As it seems now, it is unacceptable Customer Service from Ruger!

Thanks

Mike

Yeah. It is just to strange. I order a lot from the internet. To date I have NEVER gotten a box from any company without paperwork. It just doesn't happen in this day and age. Inventory control and receipts showing it left their shop. Just too hard to believe.

Whaler

Bearcat
I have been following this thread from the start and find it strange that it took so long to get pictures posted. I also find it even stranger that the rifle could have been shipped to Ruger and then shipped back to the owner in that condition and with no paperwork. I guess my question now is: Has Ruger ever seen this rifle after the blow up?

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
How many were in the magazine at the time of the blowup? Did the head blow out on the one in the chamber and ignite some still in the magazine?

lewgroth

Bearcat
Kevin said:
Yeah. It is just to strange. I order a lot from the internet. To date I have NEVER gotten a box from any company without paperwork. It just doesn't happen in this day and age. Inventory control and receipts showing it left their shop. Just too hard to believe.

I am sorry there were paperwork in the box folded in a new owners manual, it listed what was in the box and it did say the gun was unsafe to fire.

Snake45

Hawkeye
The broken stock alone makes it "unsafe to fire." :?

Is is possible that Ruger thought the rifle was being returned for free replacement of the stock, which they assumed had been broken by dropping it or other abuse? :? :? :? :?

lewgroth

Bearcat
Snake45 said:
The broken stock alone makes it "unsafe to fire." :?

Is is possible that Ruger thought the rifle was being returned for free replacement of the stock, which they assumed had been broken by dropping it or other abuse? :? :? :? :?

A letter was sent in along with the rifle explaning everything.

lewgroth

Bearcat
I am not going to post anymore, There is something in the works, I will let you guys know what and when I can. Thanks again, Lew