Ruger 77/17 explodes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lewgroth

Bearcat
Anybody had any trouble with a 77/17? My daughter and I were going to the range, she fired 4 shots and on the forth shot the rifle exploded. The clip was blowen out the bottom and it broke the stock in the forarm and the pistol grip. It was not just a crack I think I could finish braking it with my hands. The rifle has less then 200 rounds fired and it looked like new. My dealer sent it back to Ruger and all they would do is a deal on a new one. I am very disapointed with Ruger. They gave no reason. I would like to hear any ideas you guys have. Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I have a 77/17 myself. I have shot a "few" more than 200 rounds through mine. No problems.
I have heard of some ammo actually coming apart in the 17 HMR. If you had a bullet separation, and then fired another round,,, it's possible that is why it blew up.
I have also heard that a bit of build-up in the bore can increase the pressures. A tiny bore, a fast & fragile bullet can cause fouling. It doesn't take much to change pressures in a small space.

lewgroth

Bearcat
Will the rifle fire if the bolt is not locked? She did fire 3 rounds before this happened. The target was at 50 yrds and all 4 bullets hit the target, if that adds any light?

Although split cases seem to be frequent in some types/brands of ammo(from post I read), I don't see a split case doing this sort of damage. A complete head separation might pop the magazine but "break the stock" is not likely.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
LETS SEE HERE....your daughter is shooting a fairly new Ruger rifle and a CARTRIDGE comes apart and destroys that rifle. Ruger gives you a brand new rifle and you are complaining. Hmmmmmmm......

CraigC

Hawkeye
These rifles are made in .44Mag and must withstand proof loads in 'that' chambering. Which is probably at least 60,000psi. I don't know what the .17 runs at but it can't be much more than the .22LR/Mag's 22,000psi. That's a cartridge half the size, with literally twice as much steel in the chamber walls, running at half the pressure. I have a really hard time believing that there is not more to this story.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
Being the bullet hit the target I doubt a bore restriction. What was the condition of the fired case if noted ? This type damage has occurred many times with autos when they fired out of battery. In the autos the out of battery cause was usually a dirty camber. Not saying that is what happened here. I do not know about the Ruger 77/17 HMR but many others makes have pretty loose chambers. Perhaps a case failure.

Bill

lewgroth

Bearcat
CraigC said:
These rifles are made in .44Mag and must withstand proof loads in 'that' chambering. Which is probably at least 60,000psi. I don't know what the .17 runs at but it can't be much more than the .22LR/Mag's 22,000psi. That's a cartridge half the size, with literally twice as much steel in the chamber walls, running at half the pressure. I have a really hard time believing that there is not more to this story.

I wish there were more to the story too. I was there along with a couple of other guys. We were very surprised what happened, we had a hard time believing it too. My gun shop sent everything back to Ruger, the rifle, all the pieces we could find of the clip, two of the three cases that were fired before and the one that blew. Ruger did offer to sell me a new rifle for about half price. I would rather give it to a gun saftety school so they can show there students what a small caliber rifle can do. Maybe it may save someone from getting hirt. My daughter's hands stung for a short time but she didn't get hirt.

Thanks for the input, if you have anymore questions, please ask.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Without knowing the cause of the kaboom, how could showing people a busted rifle prevent a future injury?

Did you contact the ammo company?

Glad everyone is OK. I also had a rifle blow up while my daughter was shooting and it's a frightening thing.

lewgroth

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ said:
Without knowing the cause of the kaboom, how could showing people a busted rifle prevent a future injury?

Did you contact the ammo company?

Glad everyone is OK. I also had a rifle blow up while my daughter was shooting and it's a frightening thing.

Maybe by showing students even a small caliber rifle can be dangerous. No, I haven't contacted the ammo company, for one thing I just found out yesterday Ruger wasn't doing much, if the ammo was over loaded it still shouldn't do that much damage, thats my personal opinion, its a very small caliber.

lewgroth

Bearcat
mishtub said:
I would love to see pictures, if possible.

Ruger has the rifle yet. We asked for them to return everything, if they will or not is another question. I will post pic. when I can, thanks for asking. I think Ruger opened up a can of worms. :x

frank n texas

Single-Sixer
I would be speaking directly with Ruger at this point and not thru your gun dealer...

I would insist on their returning everything I sent them and giving me some idea of what they think or know happened...

lewgroth

Bearcat
frank n texas said:
I would be speaking directly with Ruger at this point and not thru your gun dealer...

I would insist on their returning everything I sent them and giving me some idea of what they think or know happened...

I was thinking the same, He has been good to me so would want to talk to him first. I was in business most of my working life and sometimes the customer can get more done then the dealer with a phone call.

Jim Puke

Hunter
WIL TERRY said:
LETS SEE HERE....your daughter is shooting a fairly new Ruger rifle and a CARTRIDGE comes apart and destroys that rifle. Ruger gives you a brand new rifle and you are complaining. Hmmmmmmm......

He did not say that they gave him a new rifle...he said they wanted do to "deal"...meaning they offered a new rifle at a reduced price.

lewgroth

Bearcat
Yes, ruger offered a new one for about half price. BTW the rifle was back to Ruger because it would missfire long before this happened. I also had a new shotgun that had to go back. I haven't had the best of luck with Ruger. It is the only two guns that I ever had trouble with.