Ruger 77/17 explodes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lewgroth

Bearcat
I didn't check the S/N but I am sure it is the same one, I will do that. I don't think they did a thing. I am going to call them, see what they say. I am going to the Eastern Sports Show in Harrisburg, Pa. they will be there, I will take the rifle along. Very poor PR on there part. BTW my dealer talked to Horndy, they said Ruger had some head spacing issues with that rifle. I noticed the end of the casing would be bulged on some rounds after they were fired. Thanks for all the interest. Lew

Snake45

Hawkeye
WMB30 said:
Lewgroth
I agree that the rifle fired out of battery. The damage to the mag and stock is typical of what that small cartridge does to a rifle when fired out of battery.

Bill
Yeah, that's typical of a blowback semiauto fired OOB (and I've had it happen and seen it happen so I know what I'm talking about*) but I've never heard of a bolt-action doing it.

I just tried my own 77/22V. You can pull the trigger and the hammer or striker will fall with the bolt handle halfway or more up. :shock: :shock: :shock: BUT the bolt is already locked forward at that point. It might not have full engagement on the (way overbuilt) rear locking lug but it's as far forward as it's going to go (I took out the mag and looked in from the underside). I have NO idea if the firing pin is actually going forward when you do this.

Did the whole bolt (handle and all) fly rearward when that shot was fired? No? Then the bolt was forward and "in battery." So that's not the problem.

*Had it happen with a DPMS .22LR AR dedicated upper. Cause was a VERY tight chamber allowed to get too dirty, and the case didn't fully seat. Cracked the magazine (but still usable), filled the air with brass, and scared hell out of my kid (who was shooting it) and me but the "major" damage was it blew the extractor out of the gun. When I notified DPMS of the incident, they immediately sent me a replacement extractor, free of charge. They would have prolly replaced the mag, too, if I'd thought to ask, but since it still works, I didn't even make a deal about that.

Snake45

Hawkeye
lewgroth said:
my dealer talked to Horndy, they said Ruger had some head spacing issues with that rifle. I noticed the end of the casing would be bulged on some rounds after they were fired.
Now we're getting somewhere! :wink:

I see where this is going. Ruger's going to say it was the ammo, the ammo maker's going to say it's Ruger's headspace. :evil:

Do you still have some of those bulged cases? That's strong evidence that the gun's at fault.

Regardless, IMHO, Ruger should have fixed the gun (in the interest of good customer relations), no charge, and then taken the matter up with the ammo maker if they thought THEY were at fault. That's just common sense. Imagine the liability nightmare they'd be facing if there had been an injury, such as if someone had lost an eye over this. TEN new rifles would seem cheap to them if that had been the case. :shock:

lewgroth

Bearcat
I will ask my daughter if the bolt went back when fired, I don't think so. It would be interesting to see if the fireing pin hit the caseing when the bolt was not all the way down.

I know I have one bulged cases, it was one of the four that she fired the day all this happened. Looking at the rifle I think a new stock and clip it would be back to where it was before this happened but I will never fire it again no matter what.

lewgroth

Bearcat
BTW, on a earler post I think I said some of the cases were bulged, that was after the rifle came back from Ruger the first time. I didn't take time to look back at the earler posts.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
Did Ruger replace the mag and stock or was rifle returned with damaged mag and stock?

Bill

lewgroth

Bearcat
WMB30 said:
Did Ruger replace the mag and stock or was rifle returned with damaged mag and stock?

Bill

No. It looked the same as when we sent it to them, they put it in a new box and shipped everything back, the broken parts, the brass, and stock. I don't know if they took it apart.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
Also I would do a tell the CEO on the ruger web just how Ruger has handled the problem to date. Mr Fifer reads his email and you will get a response from him.

Bill

lewgroth

Bearcat
WMB30 said:
Also I would do a tell the CEO on the ruger web just how Ruger has handled the problem to date. Mr Fifer reads his email and you will get a response from him.

Bill

I think thats what I will do next, thanks for the info.

Snake45

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ said:
Snake, when you look up through the magwell can you see any unsupported brass when the bolt is closed or when it's partially closed?
I didn't have it loaded but I THINK that yes, you could have seen part of the rim (but not the case) if it had been.

I don't think this is all that unusual in .22s. For example, I don't think every .22 revolver ever made had countersunk rims (though I could be wrong about that, I dunno).

lewgroth

Bearcat
The more I talk to people about this the more I think it is a head space problum with the bulged cases ends. Try to get pic soon.

Snake45

Hawkeye
The more I think about this, the more amazed I am that Ruger returned the thing unfixed. If you send them a rifle that has an aftermarket sear in it (for example), they replace it with a factory sear before returning it (or so I've heard).

To return uncorrected a rifle that's just "blown up"? Astounding. :shock: What if you buy a new stock for it, it blows up again, and this time there's a personal injury? :shock: :shock: :shock: Whose lawyer would you rather be on THAT case, Ruger's, or the gun owner's? :shock: :shock: :shock:

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
THE MORE I SEE HERE, AND THE MORE I READ HERE, the more I smell some sort of rat !!! This is NOT how STURM RUGER & COMPANY has operated in the 53 years I have dealt with them. They do NOT do stupid things. I want to know what rifle they sent back to the DEALER. I want to know straight from SR&COM what the serial numbers are on ALL of this. ENOUGH OF THE OBFUSCATION HERE !!!

lewgroth

Bearcat
I told as I know it, I would like to get something in writing from Ruger too, I read good things about Ruger and my dealer couldn't blelieve they didn't give a reason for this. I will be going to RMEF elk camp in Las the first part of December and Harrisburg, Pa, first part of Feburary, I hope to talk to someone there. I am sorry if I hurt anyones feeling telling the way it is, but there is a problem. Thanks again for all the in put. Lew

Precision32

Blackhawk
Do you have any way to measure the headspace?

If not, would you be willing to send me the bolt so I can examine it and maybe find an answer? I pay the shipping if needed. It can go in a flat rate USPS box.

lewgroth

Bearcat
I took some pictures today, trying to post them, I think I can email u a good pic of the bolt in the gun. To me it looks like quite a gap.

lewgroth

Bearcat
Precision32 said:
Do you have any way to measure the headspace?

If not, would you be willing to send me the bolt so I can examine it and maybe find an answer? I pay the shipping if needed. It can go in a flat rate USPS box.

I put a spent case in the chamber and closed the bolt on it and I can move it in and out quit easy, I can get a .020 feeler gauge between the head of the casing and bolt. Dode that tell u anything?