Ruger 77/17 explodes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lewgroth

Bearcat
frank n texas said:
What did the dealer say Ruger said after inspecting the rifle?[/qu

The dealer told me it was a lady that called and she told him what they would do. It was four hundred and some dollars, I added that was about half price of new retail.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
It might be time for you to get involved directly with Ruger. As you said sometimes the customer can get more done than the dealer. You deserve better answers and better treatment.

Ol'Freak

Bearcat
A Marlin 783 bolt action .22 Magnum from the mid 70's will fire if the bolt was not fully closed leaving enough case hanging out the back of the chamber unsupported for it to blow out just forward of the rim, wreck the tube feeding vibes, split the stock, and blast the operator's face with debris.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
lewgroth
Were these 4 shots the first shots fired after the rifle was returned from Ruger ?

Bill

catfish621

Single-Sixer
I googled hmr17 kaboom and saw many instances of this. First I'd heard of it. Apparently bad ammo from CCI.

lewgroth

Bearcat
I still feel even IF the ammo was loaded twice what it should be, it should not have done that to a rifle that is (what I have been told) over build like the 77/17. Remember this is a 22 size cartridge.

soyarm

Bearcat
I have to agree with Lewgroth. It doesn't add up to it being an ammo problem. What was described is quite a massive kaboom in an already over built rifle. There was something much more that happened and sure wish I knew.

lewgroth

Bearcat
I do feel that the bold was not locked and the rifle fired anyway. I have been waiting for someone to bring that up so though I would. Any thoughts about that? I did hint about that earlier but I didn't get any responses.

I still don't understand why Ruger is asking you to pay half for a replacement rifle? Is that Ruger or your LGS?

if you don't take them up on that offer does that mean they would write you a check for half of the value of your rifle?

WMB30

Single-Sixer
Lewgroth
I agree that the rifle fired out of battery. The damage to the mag and stock is typical of what that small cartridge does to a rifle when fired out of battery.

Bill

Precision32

Blackhawk
I have no hands on with this rifle and have some questions. The Ruger manual does not give a view of the bolt face. Is the rim cut in the bolt face the same as on the 10-22? It looks like the mags, if not the same, are close. So if they are, the lower part of the rim is unsupported, as it is in the 10-22. Having not seen any photos of the ruptured case I would hazard a WAG (wild ass guess) that the rim let loose. This would cause the mag and stock damage as described, even in a strong rifle action. There is nothing to contain the over pressure, if that's what it was.

Sounds to me like an ammo problem. not a rifle problem.

Ol'Freak

Bearcat
It would be easy enuf for someone with another of the same model in .17 or the .22 Magnum to test, will pulling the trigger release the firing pin if on bolt closure the bolt handle gets left short of fully down?

welldoya

Single-Sixer
So basically, Ruger stole your rifle ? I would tell them to send me back my rifle because my lawyer wants to have his people examine it. See how quickly a new one arrives at your gun dealer.

I can't see anywhere that the OP mentioned whether the mechanics of the rifle were damaged or just the stock. With a seriously overbuilt design like the 77/17, a case head separation that damaged the stock would not necessarily cause permanent damage to the rifle's action or barrel. The most damage would occur if a malfunction or foreign material caused the cartridge to fire as it was being chambered.
If the trigger is pulled with the bolt only partially closed, the striker will fall but I can't say if the remaining force is enough to ignite a cartridge. Mine has been fired extensively and the bolt is quite smooth allowing the force of the striker spring to close it on an EMPTY CHAMBER fairly briskly. It won't do this with a round chambered.
Again, I say there's more to the story than presented.

lewgroth

Bearcat
When I get the rifle back from Ruger I will post Pic.

I didn't want to do anything with the rifle so I don't know if there were other damage, The clip was destroyed and the stock was broken, that is all I could see. You are right, there is more to the story but I don't know what it is, that is what I am trying to fine out. I have answerd all questions I have been asked by you guys to the best of my knowledge.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
No, I haven't contacted the ammo company, for one thing I just found out yesterday Ruger wasn't doing much, if the ammo was over loaded it still shouldn't do that much damage, thats my personal opinion, its a very small caliber.

Small caliber doesn't mean it's not capable of having lots of excessive pressure. Powder ignites, pressure...it's gotta go somewhere - something has to give. The gun can't explode as described unless there's an issue with the ammo. In such a case, you always start with the ammo company and simultaneously, get word to the gun manufacturer. Seems Ruger did what I'd expect them to do in such a situation.
If you put bad gas in your Ford and it goes south, is it Ford's fault or the gas company's fault?
Put bad tires on your motorcycle and one blows out, is it Honda's fault?

Bad ammo = not the gun makers responsibility.

lewgroth

Bearcat
The rifle is back, no paper work, no work order, no explanation, they did put it in a new box, that is it. Now, I think you guys are right, there is more to the story, but I think only Ruger has the answers.

Latest posts