Ruger 454 Alaskan ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kivmax

Bearcat
Hi
I am new here, I just purchased a Ruger 454 Alaskan after countless hours scouring youtube... Don't get to pick it up until it come in in a week but looking forward to it. I just wanted a safe queen, hand cannon, conversation piece and big animal protection. I live in Utah and like to spend time in the mountains, i know there are black bear up there so I wanted something bigger than my Ruger GP100 357 to pack in the woods. I know it's plenty big for anything around here but remember I purchased for many reasons : ) Sooooo my question is what is the best place for purchasing ammo online to include the hard cast bear ammo. And I did see some you tube videos on crimp jump from a certain manufacturer......

Thanks for any info!

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
Go to the "ZANDER"S" internet site. You can get in, but not to the dealer pricing. There is 8 -12 or so .454 shells listed I think. haven't looked in a week or so. That goes for the .45-70 ammo also. You're locall dealer can order it.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Buffalo Bore and Double Tap both offer a good hard cast load for the .454. HSM also has a good 300 gr. hard cast .454 load, it's called the "Bear Load". I have a box of each but have not dropped the hammer on any yet. I have shot some of the Hornady XTP's through my Toklat and the recoil form a .454 can get pretty exciting. Most makers do not load the .454 to max pressure because it can cause problems such as sticky extraction and "crimp jump", not to mention increased recoil.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
The Magtech 260grn load has notoriously jumped crimp for me. As in jamming the revolver after 2 shots, jumping noticeably after just a single shot.

It's not a problem in my 5.5" or 7.5", but the extreme flip of the Alaskan is a different animal.

I have not had issues with the Hornady factory load.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I was on my phone last time, so I couldn't copy the flickr link over to post (hate flickr for that, gonna have to try imgur)...

Here are a few pictures of the Magtech load after jumping in one of my Alaskans.

35631730512_ab0761fb13_b.jpg

35412643290_a4ae5af390_b.jpg

Nice gun capable of doing what you want. Having said that I prefer Buffalo Bore 45 Colt +P. It's a 325 grain hardcast. It will do anything a standard 454 load will do. Plus you can get back on target quicker. I know of 2 different people whose gun tied up defending themselves from a grizzly and a bullet pulled and tied up the gun. Above is the only load I will use in mine.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
The reason why the BuffaloBore ammo works is because they use bullets from Rimrock and those bullets have a deep and wide crimp groove.

Mus408

Hunter
I just load heavy Colt .45 for mine either 300 gr. hardcast or Hornady XTP bullets.
However I noticed a good bit of leading with the hardcast and use mostly jacket type bullets or copper plated.
A great shooting DA revolver which is what I wanted in .45 Colt

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Mus408 said:
I just load heavy Colt .45 for mine either 300 gr. hardcast or Hornady XTP bullets.
However I noticed a good bit of leading with the hardcast and use mostly jacket type bullets or copper plated.

A true hard cast bullet should cause minimal leading.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
RalphS said:
The reason why the BuffaloBore ammo works is because they use bullets from Rimrock and those bullets have a deep and wide crimp groove.

And they do not load the .454 to maximum pressure levels, most, if not all manufacturers do not either. Full pressure loads in .454 can cause sticky extraction, severe recoil and, as mentioned here "crimp jumping" of the bullet.

Tom W.

Bearcat
whichwatch said:
Mus408 said:

A true hard cast bullet should cause minimal leading.

If the cast bullet fits properly it won't lead. Poor fit causes 98% of leading, the rest is inadequate or poor lube.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
And with a short bbl .454 , your limiting factor is going to be your senility to control, not seeking more power

I haven't used that load Bear Paw Jack recomends , but a .45Colt +P is a good direction to start.

BearBio

Buckeye
I haven't had issues with BB revolver ammo but have had issues with their ammo for self-loaders.

No issues with Magtech 260 gr in either Taurus Raging Bull or a custom Reeder SBH (El Diablo)=but if it goes in the cylinder, it gets shot! No chambering a cartridge a second time.

Handloads_ I use a heavy crimp on hard cast.

Best factory I have found is Underwood ==I shoot 357 Sig in my EDC and 10mm 200 or 220 gr hardcast in my G20. Accurate and reliable with good penetration. No need for 454 for black bear=I would go a 300 gr 45 Colt loaded hot!