Ruger 45/22 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Good morning, all.

Brand new member here, and hoping you might be able to offer some assistance. I am in the market for a 45/22 but I believe there is a magazine disconnect safety that prohibits the newer models from allowing the magazines to drop freely. If I am incorrect in my assumption please let me know. I would like to pick up a 45/22 that allows the magazines to freely drop. My question is this: what model(s) do I need to look for, and are there easy ways to spot the difference? Since I suspect I'll find what I am looking for online I can't physically try to eject the magazines to verify.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may afford me.

Take care.
Aaron

You didn't mention if you are looking for new or used. The original 22/45, sometimes called the Mark II, does not have the magazine disconnect feature and allows the magazine to drop freely. One of these will most likely be found used but there are some NIB or LNIB out there. The current model, 22/45 MKIII, does have the magazine disconnect feature but this can be easily fixed. There are a number of posts here and on other forums on 'how to' remove the disconnect feature and several vendors that sell the bushing that makes this fix easy.

To me, the easiest way to spot an original 22/45 is the trigger guard. The original has a finger rest area on the front of the trigger guard. The Mark III has a normal rounded trigger guard. Google some 22/45 pictures and you will see the difference.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

HSG

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Another solution is if you get a 22/45 model that is a Mark III, then you can install an aftermarket hammer bushing that removes all the magazine safety components. There are several special versions available for this purpose, or just go with a plain old Ruger Mark II hammer bushing from VQ or Clark Custom.

R,
Bullseye

Good afternoon, Highstandardguy and Bullseye57. Thank you both so much for the hints and tips.

Either new or used is fine, Highstandardguy. I found a couple on Gunbroker that look to be almost new. One in particular states in the listing that it has never been fired outside of the factory. Original box, all paperwork. That one is extremely tempting. Barrel length is not an issue either. In fact, I rather prefer the shorter barrel as I like the stubby look. Even though .22 LR ammunition is pricey it's still cheaper per round than 9mm, .40, etc. It's great for an afternoon of easy plinking.

I've read a few items regarding changing the Mark III bushing to a Mark II, Bullseye57, and I may have to go that route. I'd prefer, though, to pick up an actual Mark II and not have to fret over altering the pistol.

Thank you both again.

Take care.
Aaron

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
You may find that with the earlier version of 22/45 it doesn't have replaceable 1911 grip panels and the feel is slightly different than a 1911 because of this fact. Swapping out the bushings is really not a difficult task.

R,
Bullseye