Ruger .44 mag carbine unloading

Help Support Ruger Forum:

felix cortinas

Bearcat
I bought an old Ruger .44 mag carbine (Deerslayer with .44 mag on barrel). I have had several tube magazine rifles in the past, what is the safest way to unload one of these? The old model 94s you could just "jack" the shells out, semi auto rifles with magazines, just remove the magazine and eject shell, even the old 10/22 is no problem, just wondering what you old experienced hands recommend. I am 61 and this is my first Ruger auto carbine. Will the shells fall back out of the tube? Or do you just remove one at a time, just wondering.

wwb

Hunter
With the earliest .44 carbines, you had to manually work the action to cycle the cartridges through. A few years into production, Ruger added a magazine release button that allowed you to empty the tube through the loading port. Turn it upside down and look in the loading port with the carrier depressed.... if there's a little button on the side, you have the new style.

felix cortinas

Bearcat
my serial number shows it was made in 1972, it is marked Ruger .44 magnum cal, oddly the barrel is chrome plated, I bought it a few weeks ago, the trigger guard and area above bolt are stainless, but the barrel is chromed, whoever did it did a helluva job. I paid $500 for it, already been offered $800, only fired about 10 rounds of Winchester 240 grain and I love it, very accurate at 75 yards or so open sights.

wunbe

Buckeye
Mine has the button but it is inside the loading port which means my fingers pressing it block full extraction of the first round. So it looks like you have to press it for each round in the tube. I'll need to take it somewhere safe to load up and give it a try.

wunbe

felix cortinas

Bearcat
Mine has the button I found out, still wondering how the barrel got chromed the bolt assembly, port and trigger guard are stainless but the barrel is definitely chromed, wished I knew how to post pics.

felix cortinas said:
I shot couple hogs yesterday evening while checkin cattle and gave me the chance to experiment, best way was to cycle them out. Good to know.
Shoot it dry? :), then load for the next time before you go. Sounds like a good ranch rifle for you.
gramps

felix cortinas

Bearcat
I had never owned a .44 mag carbine till couple months ago, got me a new M77/44 and loved it then had the chance to buy this one, I need a powerful pistol caliber carbine for some places I hunt cause of nearby roads, got thick woods and creek bottoms full of hogs. I love the .44 mag carbines.

pete44ru

Hunter
felix cortinas said:
my serial number shows it was made in 1972, it is marked Ruger .44 magnum cal, oddly the barrel is chrome plated, I bought it a few weeks ago, the trigger guard and area above bolt are stainless, but the barrel is chromed, whoever did it did a helluva job.

The .44 Carbines were never made of stainless steel - only carbon steel - which means that your rifle has had it's receiver & TG either nickle-plated or (more likely) has had the bluing removed & the metal polished.

Likewise, the bbl was chromed after it left the factory.

felix cortinas

Bearcat
hope post pics soon, I love this lil carbine....never owned a .44 mag carbine till last 2 months,now got to of em...I got so many pigs in the creek bottoms and this fits the bill better than an AR, only my M1a performs better, but I love this lil jewel.