Ruger 44 carbine scope base

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wwb

Hunter
To the best of my knowledge, nobody makes one. I don't recall the numbers, but the only ones I've ever seen were Weaver two-piece bases.... one mounts at the two rear screws on top of the receiver, and one mounts at the rear end of the barrel. Considering the difference in height of the two pieces, a one-piece would be a pretty complicated part to make within a reasonable price.

Even if there ever was a one-piece base, the length of time the gun has been out of production and the relatively small number produced would make it highly likely that it is no longer manufactured.

Chief 101

Hunter
you will need a Weaver #47 and #68...your local dealer should stock these...less than 10 bucks

twerpymoon

Single-Sixer
SHOOTER said:
Does anyone make a one piece base for the Older Ruger 44 carbine? This is the tube model.

Well,,,,,, kinda yes and kinda no. The .44 Carbine and 10-22 receiver radius is the same. And the spacing of the mounting screws on the .44 receiver is the same as the front set of the 10-22. So if you have access to an older version of a Weaver TO-9(the current version has a different number of screw holes) it can be easily modified to work. At least I thought it was easy. This is predicated that your rifle is not a newer one that has blind front receiver screws. The rifle also needs to be disassembled.

If you swap the base front to back, two of the holes line up.
DSCN4508.jpg

Then if you remove the rear screw of the front pair(which is a size 6-40, the same as Ruger ring screws or Weaver ring cap/strap screws) and install the base with the rear screws, you can flip the rifle upside down and use the now empty screw hole as a guide to center punch the location for a new hole in the base. Be careful not to booger the threads with the punch.

Remove the base, drill the hole, flip the base over and countersink for the new screw head. Don't forget to get a correct size screw. The one you took out will not be long enough.
DSCN4510.jpg

Voila! A one piece base installed.
DSCN4507.jpg

As an added bonus, the older TO-9 base is not as tall as the new ones so the factory sights can still be used if so desired. Just in case your batteries die.
DSCN4513-1.jpg

twerpy.

twerpymoon

Single-Sixer
It does say carbine. Not specifically the .44 Carbine but it does say carbine. Be that as it may, all of the other rifles it says it fits have integral ring mounts. The picture also shows angled screws that would clamp into the mounts. To the best of my knowledge the .44 Carbine was never produced with integral mounts.

I think their copywriter goofed.

twerpy.

wwb

Hunter
Based on what's pictured, there ain't no way on God's green earth that will fit the .44 Carbine.

The 99/44 Deerfield, maybe.... if it has the Ruger style cutouts in the receiver, but I'm not familiar with that particular rifle.

SHOOTER

Buckeye
Outstanding ! Well Played sir!!

twerpymoon said:
SHOOTER said:
Does anyone make a one piece base for the Older Ruger 44 carbine? This is the tube model.

Well,,,,,, kinda yes and kinda no. The .44 Carbine and 10-22 receiver radius is the same. And the spacing of the mounting screws on the .44 receiver is the same as the front set of the 10-22. So if you have access to an older version of a Weaver TO-9(the current version has a different number of screw holes) it can be easily modified to work. At least I thought it was easy. This is predicated that your rifle is not a newer one that has blind front receiver screws. The rifle also needs to be disassembled.

If you swap the base front to back, two of the holes line up.
DSCN4508.jpg

Then if you remove the rear screw of the front pair(which is a size 6-40, the same as Ruger ring screws or Weaver ring cap/strap screws) and install the base with the rear screws, you can flip the rifle upside down and use the now empty screw hole as a guide to center punch the location for a new hole in the base. Be careful not to booger the threads with the punch.

Remove the base, drill the hole, flip the base over and countersink for the new screw head. Don't forget to get a correct size screw. The one you took out will not be long enough.
DSCN4510.jpg

Voila! A one piece base installed.
DSCN4507.jpg

As an added bonus, the older TO-9 base is not as tall as the new ones so the factory sights can still be used if so desired. Just in case your batteries die.
DSCN4513-1.jpg

twerpy.

Chief 101

Hunter
I have a Williams peep site I just took off of my 44 carbine. Sort of "ghost ring" fire site. if you are interested pm me for details...

flcracker64

Bearcat
I bought a Picatinny rail blank from Brownell"s and had Cole's in Clearwater, FL machine a custom base for me. With Hornady LeverEvolution rounds I get <3" groups at 100 yds.

The crazy thing is... I paid $250 plus the cost of the rail blank to have the base fabricated. I only paid $250 for the carbine (it had a cracked stock) and $85 for a replacement stock.

Such is my addiction.....

IMG_20130824_180058_599_zpsc14390c3.jpg

IMG_20130824_180048_258_zps4fafddf5.jpg

IMG_20130824_180146_502_zps896ed88f.jpg

TORL75

Bearcat
hi

I have a problem,
I can not find the screw diameter for the optics here in Italy,
what 'and the size of the screw?
mine has a diameter of 3.30 mm in inches what can I use

tnks

RSI

Bearcat
If you are not in a hurry search for a Bausch & Lomb Trophy base for your 44 carbine. The base is still available on some of the gunsites for about $10 NIB. The search gets tough when you try to find rings for this base because they have not been made in a long time. Expect to pay about $40 for a set used. During your search make sure the rings are for the B&L Trophy base because B&L also made these rings for Weaver bases and they are not compatable.
Here's what I like about the B&L Trophy mount and rings. The base itself is similar to a 1 piece weaver base with cross slots for multiple mounting location but it is much lower profile than a weaver base. This allows me to use my carbine with 3 different sight setups. I can use a scope or remove the scope with the rings and be able to use the standard iron sights without any issues with seeing over the base. I also have a Williams 5D receiver sight that is mounted to the gun that can be slid into it's dovetail slot right behind the scope base. To use the receiver sight just fold down the rear sight leaf. There have not been any issues with holding zero with any of the sight configurations when changing from one to the other.

RSI

pcbeachboy

Bearcat
I have located a picatinny rail for my old style Ruger Carbine that uses the rear pair mount holes and the forward mount holes on the barrel. The web site is:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-44-MAG-Carbine-Weaver-Picatinny-One-Piece-Scope-Mounts-/112395117682

It's pricey but I wanted to mount my Tasco ProPoint scope. $38.00 shipping included

Hope this helps. I'm new to this site.

pcbeachboy

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I have the Weigland mount and it is designed for the Ruger Deerfield .44 carbine, not the earlier ".44 Carbine" (Deerstalker).