Ruger .44 Carbine questions......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dregg

Single-Sixer
I was in a LGS recently and saw they had a 1969 Ruger .44 Carbine for sale for $650. The rifle is in excellent shape. The stock looks brand new and the only wear I can see is near the ejection port and a little at the muzzle. I would like to pick this up for my 16yr old son for some white tail deer hunting. What does the hive think about this ? Does it sound like a good buy ?

loaded round

Hunter
Not a bad price for a 44 Ruger Carbine. Just make sure it's in 100% operating condition since Ruger no longer supplies parts for this rifle or provide any type of repairs.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Are you sure it's not a Ruger Deerfield (.44 magnum)? The Deerfield generally show wear at the ejection ports, but not the earlier Ruger .44 Carbine. If it has a flush mount rotary magazine it's a Deerfield. Either way, the price is good, and spare parts are hard to come by.

Other's know better than I, but I've heard there is a critical plastic part that MAY break, and when it does replacements are very hard to come by. The guy the decides to start making these out of metal may not make a fortune but will make a lot of friends.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
There's only one plastic part on the gun, and it is the butt plate. Only on the later models. It doesn't break. The trigger housing is prone to breakage on the earlier models, but it is metal.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Its a great price for the condition described. Buy it regardless put away mucho 240 grain jacketed ammo. That is the only type the rifle was designed for.

Chief 101

Hunter
I had to put a recoil pad on mine, made it manageable but way more shootable. Unfortunately I don't shoot it anymore...

mac66

Single-Sixer
There is a 44 carbine for sale on a forum in Michigan for $625. He's located in SW Mich. I don't live in SW Mich and It's not mine and I don't know the guy but it's been for sale for quite awhile so I'm thinking he might accept an offer of something less. if anyone is interested let me know and I send you the link.