Ruger 44 Carbine cracked stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ozarkhawg

Bearcat
I have a Ruger 44 carbine w/ factory peep site, first and foremost my stock is NOT CRACKED. However I have always been apprehensive to even shoot it as much as I would like. Given the amount of 44 carbines/fingergrooves that I have seen with cracked stocks. My question is why are they so prone to developing cracks? I have thought over the years that a glass bed job might allow me to enjoy this carbine as I intended too when it was purchased. I have read a number of horror stories from glass bedding these guns. However I frankly am quite scared to remove it from the safe unless it is to clean it and put it back. It was never meant to be a safe queen, though it does a great impersonation of that very thing. Any advise would be appreciated as what to do or not do given I have seen very few that are not FUBAR'D!

Thanks for the advise
D

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I have the same issue. My solution was to buy a second .44 carbine that wasn't in such nice condition, but functionally fine. I won't mind when that stock cracks.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
In reference to your "cracked stock " post ,I have always felt and thought that the basic design of the way the action was inletted into the stock and the stock design was flawed! It took a number of years for the rifle being used in the field before the flaws starting showing up and became an issue. Don't take me in the wrong way on this as I think the appearance , the feel of the carbine is just gorgeous . I love the fit and feel of it against my shoulder and in my
Hands. The stock is very thin just forward of the loading port and will usually crack there first. With the amount of inletting necessary to clear the magazine tube, cracking is just waiting to
happen . Recoil is very sharp and subjects the wood to a lot of stress resulting in
The cracks there. Next is where the receiver engages the recoil block which also results in the stock splitting or cracking due excessive stress over a small contact area. The design does not Lend itself to glass bedding. Just not a lot of wood to work with. Original stocks show up occasionally; usually very expensive.

If you shoot your carbine a lot it is likely to crack. Dense walnut will hold up better. However a lot of the walnut stocks are not dense and will show cracks. If you have a nice carbine and with the desireable spotter stock I would resist shooting it. I know, a lot of folks will disagree with that. You could , at one time, purchase aftermarket stocks to use. I don't Know if they are still available or not. With the carbines approaching forty years or more old, just appreciate it and don't Shoot it; the next shot may be the one that cracks the stock.

Just my observations over the years from someone who has had a love affair with the little carbine for a lot of years.

Regards

pete44ru

Hunter

I've owned/shot/hunted with about 6 different Ruger .44 Carbines over the past 45 years, along with 7 others in my annual Maine deer hunting group, who also used the .44 Carbines - and none of us ever had a stock crack. 8)

I do have one friend, admittedly a klutz, who cracked his stock after he placed it on the floor while examining the barreled action, and stumbled over it. :shock:

IME, most of the .44 Carbines I've seen with cracked stocks had been cracked due to mishandling when the barreled action was out of the stock for cleaning or repair - although I suppose that a stock would crack if/when it hit the ground during/after a fall (of the shooter, or just a gun drop).

I wonder if others here have the same experience(s)..................

wunbe

Buckeye
If you want a hunting tool more than a perfect collectors' piece, use it as it was intended to be used.

Cracks can always be mended and most of the time they are stronger afterward than straight from Ruger. The fix done by a pro also is hardly noticeable and only adds character to the rifle in deer camp.

wunbe

Ozarkhawg

Bearcat
No magic solution to this problem, only more money or damage to the weapon. Maybe I would be better of unloading mine. Will keep an eye out for a extra stock to use for hunting with, that would probably be the best solution given what I am hearing.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Mine is over 40 years old and doesn't have a cracked stock. On the other hand it's maybe had two boxes of ammo through it. I only shoot it once in awhile to check the zero of the scope for hunting and only started hunting with it again a couple years ago. I think I only shot it five times in the last 5 years and two of those were on deer including one this year.

The possibility of a cracked stock is not something I would lose sleep over.

Coop

Blackhawk
I am a woodworker, a violin/guitar repairer, a competition shooter, owner of beaucoup firearms for various competitions, including my 12 GA coach shotguns. I also build muzzle loading firearms.

Repairing cracks on wooden firearm stocks is not a big deal. Cracks occur mostly thru recoil forces. I have two 12 GA coach shotguns with repaired cracks near the hammer ends.

You can use either Tite-Bond Three or Gorilla glue to repair cracks in firearm stocks, following their directions with appropriate clamps.

These newer glues are really good. Have fun, shoot safely.