Ruger 327 revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JStacy

Blackhawk
Any one shooting a 327 Ruger revolver and reloading for it? I have a GP100 in 327 and would be interested in what loads you are using? I have tried a few reloads and got +/- results. Let me hear from you,Jim.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Jim

I have the 7.5 inch single seven. The only load I have run through it is the federal american eagle 100 grain jacketed. They have been extremely accurate and hit quite hard---I havent had a reason to switch to something other than that and will try to duplicate it in a handload when I get 500 or so empty brass available. factory specs claim it right at 1500fps.

Ron

JStacy

Blackhawk
The Federal AE 100 SP is pretty hot load . Very loud , no recoil from my GP100. I wish they had made the GP version in 6" but alas they have dropped the GP100 one as far as I know.

32magfan

Blackhawk
JStacy,

I have all the Ruger models in 327 and quite a few of the ones in 32H&R as well. My Dad started me loading the 32 H&R in 1985 when I got my first handgun, a 6.5" Single Six. I have two bullet molds, a 95gr. RN and the classic 32-20 bullet, a 115gr RNFP all cast from wheel weights.

For the H&R, 3.0 gr of Red Dot behind the 115 RNFP is good medicine in Ruger revolvers. In the 327, my everyday load is 3.7gr. of Clays behind the 115gr. RNFP and gives 1,000 fps from a 5.5" BlackHawk.

I have loaded some 327 with Longshot but have not been able to get consistent results, likely due to expander issues detailed by Brian Pearce in Handloader magazine. He wrote an article about a year ago on many loads for the 327.

CFE Pistol looks promising for high velocities but I have not I opened the pound I purchased last year.

Several folks on here load 32's so you should get more recipes to get you going.

I will give two pieces of free advice:. Starline brass:. Buy it and forget the rest. Also, for all the loads I have tested, Magnum primers are not necessary and can be detrimental to good results.

Good luck but watch out. 32's are addictive! :mrgreen:

32Magfan

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I use a lot of Hodgdon powders and will reference the very latest published info they have. There may be all-too-much "old" info out there, and I think some authors rushed to find any load that did not blow up the gun? These days things have settled down a bit and that means a shooter wanting to keep all their fingers with a 45,000 psi cartridge uses updated load data.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I load 32 long and 32 mag. I drank the kool aid and loaded some of Skeeter Skelton's loads and shot them in my 6.5SSM and it never hurt it but now I load much lighter for my Mod 16's and SSM. The old Skelton loads work well in the 327 . I just have not come up with a good full load for the Hornady 100XTP or my 113grain cast bullet. I also have molds for 65RCBS Semi wad cutter bullet A load I do not recommend for the 32 mag but shoot in the 327 is 95CSW/8.6/2400 1200 or so and outstanding small game load. My S&W Mod16 32 mag likes 85 grain bullets and H110 in a 32 mag case . Yes I like starline brass but have a reasonable supply of Federal and it is much better brass than their 32 mag brass. Thanks for all of the input please share any additional info you may have.

I reload more for 327 than any other caliber I reload for, such as 38 or 357 ect. I have been using my federal brass for probably 15 to 20 loads so far. If I need more brass I'll just buy a box of factory ammo. But the brass is very good, not many crushed or bent cases during reloading. That is me I suppose not the brass, but some brass seems to be very fragile. The Federal 327 is very consistent in size and thickness etc. easy to prime, easy to clean.... Not to discount Starline brass, I have a lot of it in other calibers, it's just that during the past ammo shortage, I could always find 327 on the shelf. And the price is constant ~27 to ~29 per box. But I like small rifle primers and 100 grain poly coated bullets. Check out SNS casting in Illinois. Cheap shipping and very good quality. And as far as powders, I like a few of them HP38, H110 (probably my favorite for this caliber) and CFE is good also. I think each powder has a sweet spot as far as accuracy is concerned. I think overall, my loads are right in the middle, not anemic and not barn burners. For my shooting, that is the accuracy I've found works best.

I've got an 8 shot Blackhawk and an SP101 in 327. Wish I had the GP100, perhaps someday... The Blackhawk has been shot enough the trigger is starting to get really, really nice. In fact the whole gun is slicking up just fine. It's one of my favorites.

Good luck!

dougader

Hunter
For 327, I've been running a 94 grain RNFP with W231, a hardcast FNGC 121 - 122 grain bullet with Blue Dot, H108, and H110, and the 100 grain Hornady xtp with the same powders.

I've only tested the 231 and Blue Dot. So far, BD is not impressing me.

For 32 mag, I like the 94 rnfp with 3.5 grains with W231, and the 100 xtp with 11.6 grains W296.

sandman228

Single-Sixer
I own a 7.5 inch single seven and used to own a gp100 in 327 . ive been loading my own cast 90 gr swc bullet sized at .314 tumble lubed . ive had decent groups and accuracy shooting 25 yards bench rested with hp38,700x,and 4227 .theres a fair amount of load data for the 327 on hodgdon's web sight and there's also some on the reloading pages of md smith. I use the 90 gr rnfp data for the swc bullet .