Ruger 257 roberts M77

Help Support Ruger Forum:

quixtr

Bearcat
Shoots all over the place. rebarrel or replace gun. Kinda been sitting in safe for 15 years. I know not popular caliber but it's what I have. It's the use it or lose it. serial # 75-16190

Last edited:

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Make sure the barreled action is in the stock correctly? Try giving it a good cleaning? Maybe some different ammo? Or swap scopes to see if that's a culprit?

A lot of things to check before resorting to a new barrel or selling it.

hittman

Staff member
Yeah, what he said.
And, its a pretty popular caliber around these parts.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! (y)

quixtr

Bearcat
Thanks to you both, great suggestions. I have tried different ammo, scope swap never occurred to me, figures, I'll def give these a try. I love the the gun . Want to make it work. I'll let y'all know what happens. Thanks for your help

hittman

Staff member
At my local range once a man in his 50s and his son were trying to sight in a rifle for deer season.
Couldn't help but over hear their talking about not even being on paper at 50 yards.

Made a little small talk with them after I'd packed up my gear. Watched them again send 3 or 4 rounds down range, then adjust the scope about 3 complete revolutions! I asked if moving it a notch or 2 might dial things in some ….. they told me to stick to my revolvers so ….. on home I went. Often wondered if they gave up or sold the gun or bought another scope.

quixtr

Bearcat
At my local range once a man in his 50s and his son were trying to sight in a rifle for deer season.
Couldn't help but over hear their talking about not even being on paper at 50 yards.

Made a little small talk with them after I'd packed up my gear. Watched them again send 3 or 4 rounds down range, then adjust the scope about 3 complete revolutions! I asked if moving it a notch or 2 might dial things in some ….. they told me to stick to my revolvers so ….. on home I went. Often wondered if they gave up or sold the gun or bought another scope.
You make me smile;)

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Yeah try the new scope or anything before ya give up! Friend had one in .257 and shot great plus I thought it was an awesome caliber for deer and love the gun overall.

quixtr

Bearcat
I shoot a bunch of 223, years ago I'm sure it shot better than me. I am curious if any of you found ammo that it preferred , I know doesn't mean mine would too, Maybe more info for me . Also tonite sure thinking about the scope deal. I also tried looking up ser# couldn't find it . I'm gonna do all the things that's been suggested. All good stuff , thanks

Chief 101

Hunter
I had the same rifle a few years ago and it was very selective as to what weight ammo it would shoot well. The heavies shot well and anything under 100gr was all over the place. It went down the road with out me fiddling with it so I don't know if there was an easy fix or not.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I'll order hex head to replace and torque

Ruger66 is referring to the front action screw. It is diagonal in orientation vs 90* to the action like other brands. It pulls the action down and rearward when tightening and "seats" it to the bedding. That is part of what I was referring to when I said make sure the action is properly mounted in the stock. The magazine box should have a bit of wiggle to it and not bound up when everything is tight. If the box isn't seated proper will put pressure on the action and cause problems and accuracy can be one of those problems. And the front action screw is tight while the rear are just tight enough to hold and they need to be somewhat tuned for the floor plate to function correctly. They can be too tight and bind up the floor plate if you aren't paying attention.

quixtr

Bearcat
What is the correct torque on that front screw? Can the front be torqued correctly with that straight slotted screw or order hex headed screws? Think i answered my own question, i'll order screws. Thanks

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I've read Ruger recommends 90-95 inch pounds. You should be fine with the factory hardware with proper fitting screw drivers but torx hardware sure is easier to work with so I wouldn't blame you for ordering them!

quixtr

Bearcat
Agreed, I've learned a lot in the last few days, and can't wait to resolve and get to enjoy a great rifle. I'll be keeping y'all posted with the progress. Thanks for all of the help

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Think my friend always fired 116 grain rounds in his. Beautiful 77 with walnut. Was a long time back. around 1978.

43north

Bearcat
I had an older scope quit when one of the internal springs stopped springing. My first guess was anything but that.
Mounts, rings, gun, stock, ammo, bedding, copper fouling...
I mean the scope wasn't hammered by recoil, wasn't dropped, and wasn't a truck gun bouncing down washboard dirt roads... so it's gotta be...
Nope. The reticle would move 3 inches at 100 yards with a knuckle tap, then come back somewhere/anywhere in between.
"This rifle used to shoot 1/4 groups!!"

It still did.

Latest posts