Ruger #1 450 Bushmaster Twist Rate

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trapaddict

Bearcat
I was just looking at the specs on this gun as I am very interested in one and thought there must have been a typo when I saw a 1:10" twist rate until I checked it on Ruger's website and saw the same thing. Does anyone know if this is a typo or did they really cut the barrels with that twist? The Gunsite Model 77 and the American in the same caliber are cut with the standard 1:16" twist. 1:10 is wayyyyy to fast for the stubby 250-275 Gr. bullets fired out of this caliber.

Jeff

Trapaddict

Bearcat
That's exactly what I thought! I have not tried contacting Ruger yet as I just saw this yesterday but I have to assume that it has to be a boo boo. There are a few listed on GB.com and that is what the spec says but I am sure that the sellers just copied info from the cut sheet on Ruger's web site. Makes no sense that they would have 3 guns chambered in this caliber and one with such a radically different twist rate than the other 2. I have seen one wholesaler (Zanders) listing them at $1199 dealer price but they are currently out of stock. Not sure about Davidson's or Lew Horton's or Lipsey's as I am not set up with them. Considering that they just blew out all of their remaining #1 inventory at 2006 Dealer pricing late last year, $1200 sounds about right for a stainless limited run. I bought 5 new #1's over the counter for between $850 and $925. 7-08, 338 Federal, 35 Whelen Medium Sporter 24", 6.5 Creedmoor 28", 7.62x39. Wish they would have had this one available 3 months ago. Already spent all my play money.

Jeff

CraigC

Hawkeye
It's probably a misprint. I can't imagine them doing one that fast, or having different twist rates for the same chambering in different guns.

Trapaddict

Bearcat
Ruger does do this sometimes. They cut their standard .243 tubes at 1:9" but ran some with a 1:7.7" for the guys that shoot the 115 Gr. VLD bullets at long range. Some of their 223's have been cut with different twists over the years too but for something like this, probably not.

Jeff

Latest posts