No 1 450/400 NE 3”

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TENFAN

Single-Sixer
I have always wanted a double rifle in 450/400 but alas they are out of my budget (shouldn't have read "African Rifles and Cartridges" over and over when I was little) so I let the desire simmer. When the Ruger No 1 in the chambering came out I waited too long and they ceased making them. It always seemed when they came along the sellers wanted them more than I did. One came up on Gunbroker the other day and I bid on it but just missed it and for a very decent price. The dealer said he has another one that he had not listed yet and to make an offer. I did and he accepted! I can now scratch another one off the bucket list. Now in search of ammo, dies, brass, bullets and a low power scope to put on it.

Sometimes you just need a new big bore just because you don't have one and you might want to pick a fight with a Buffalo or Elephant

I don't think there's a better looking rifle than the Ruger No.1. Great acquisition on your part. I'm also glad NECG is around to make their Masterpiece front and rear sights. I enjoy mine the most shooting paper off-hand at fifty yards using iron sights.

Isn't it a fairly low-pressure cartridge? I used to have a 416 Rigby in the M77 bolt-action, and it was no worse than shooting a shotgun (albeit a lightweight shotgun). The real kickers are the high-pressure types in sporter barrel weights with high recoil velocity. Low-pressure and low recoil velocity with almost any reasonable butt pad can be shoulder-fired all day. Just not the type to shoot from a bench too much.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Not that long ago there was a youtube video where this guy had five Ruger No.1's, some custom chambered I believe, starting in these medium bores all the way up to .505 Gibbs. Wish I could find that video.

My Ruger No.1 is in .375 H&H; my CZ550 in .416 Rigby.

I blame Peter Hathaway Capstick.

IMG_9361.jpeg IMG_9360.jpeg

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
My oldest brother showed up here with one so chambered some years back, we took it out and put a box of ammo between us through it. As usual, he didn't have it very long and I wish I'd have bought it from him...I very seldom sell ANYTHING.
The recoil was the "push and roll" typical of a Nitro Express cartridge, and was far more pleasant to shoot than the "straight back fast and hard!" Of my No. 1 in 416 Rem Mag.

I have always wanted a double rifle in 450/400 but alas they are out of my budget (shouldn't have read "African Rifles and Cartridges" over and over when I was little) so I let the desire simmer. When the Ruger No 1 in the chambering came out I waited too long and they ceased making them. It always seemed when they came along the sellers wanted them more than I did. One came up on Gunbroker the other day and I bid on it but just missed it and for a very decent price. The dealer said he has another one that he had not listed yet and to make an offer. I did and he accepted! I can now scratch another one off the bucket list. Now in search of ammo, dies, brass, bullets and a low power scope to put on it.

Sometimes you just need a new big bore just because you don't have one and you might want to pick a fight with a Buffalo or Elephant

These are great rifles and interesting cartridge. I stumbled across one when I was looking for a 40 caliber or bigger to be able to compete in a informal competition. I hope you reload, because there are only a few factory loads and they are stiff and expensive. There are also very few bullets available in .410 dia. and very little load data. I have worked up a few milder loads for mine and if you are interested in my load data drop me a PM.

Five shots 100 yds with 265 Gr. True shot WNFP, I pulled the last one on the left.
450-400 Target #1.jpg

RIMG0976_edited-1.jpg

jmsmithy

Bearcat

What was the price of you don't mind me asking? I have one, new, never fired other than factory test. Boddington model. Bought it, put it in my safe and there it sits lol.

Latest posts