Ruger #1 .35 Whelen Light primer strikes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CAJUNCHEF

Bearcat
I have a Lipsey's Ruger #1 .35 Whelen 24 inch barrel. I bought this gun NIB off the web and have had a couple of problems (only #1 that I have had problems).
First, the safety "froze" after 30 rounds, and would not disengage. Shipped to Ruger and came back with safety working.
Now, I am getting light primer strikes about half the time, with both factory and handloads.
Recocking, it will fire.

Is it possible that the trigger adjust is out of whack? I have never adjusted triggers before on Ruger #1's, never needed to.

Or is it possible that there is a burr in the breech bolt, interfering with the firing pin?

I don't want to ship it back to Ruger, AGAIN, would just get my gunsmith to check it out. Hard to get shop time with him now as he is hunting a lot.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Charles

There could be any number of reasons for the problem. Do the cartridges that don't go off have a normal looking dent in the primer? As much as those rifles cost, I'd send it back on Ruger's dime. Get them to send you a "call tag". Be sure to tell them it's the 2nd trip back for the rifle.

Latest posts