RSSMX Guesstimate

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Thanks
I'm proud

Put my '65 RSS5W up for sale locally today for more than I paid for this. Already have a vintage Hunter 1100 on the way.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
GasGuzzler said:
Thanks
I'm proud

Put my '65 RSS5W up for sale locally today for more than I paid for this. Already have a vintage Hunter 1100 on the way.

The RSS5W already sold locally with its vintage Hunter 1100-45 holster and 100 rounds of 22LR I bought yesterday for $3.23 OTD....for more than I paid for the RSSMX (same year 1965). The RSS5W is about 88-92% with no box and the WMR cylinder doesn't match SNs...but it does have the felt bag and Ruger letter. I stepped up for free but I have to STILL find a grip frame. I'll call my Texas buddy soon.

street

Hunter
GasGuzzler said:
GasGuzzler said:
Thanks
I'm proud

The RSS5W already sold locally with its vintage Hunter 1100-45 holster and 100 rounds of 22LR I bought yesterday for $3.23 OTD....for more than I paid for the RSSMX (same year 1965). The RSS5W is about 88-92% with no box and the WMR cylinder doesn't match SNs...but it does have the felt bag and Ruger letter. I stepped up for free but I have to STILL find a grip frame. I'll call my Texas buddy soon.
If the Ruger letter states that it is a RSS5W then it was shipped with the .22LR cylinder only. That is why the Mag.cylinder would not match. Some one just added an extra cylinder to it. About this time 1965, most of the 5 1/2 in. Single-Sixes were convertibles, RSS5X. To find a RSS5W is somewhat hard to do.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I wrote the wrong thing from memory. Letter states the sold one is a RSS5X. The mag cylinder I had did not match because I got it after the gun. It's gone already so no worries.

chet15

Hawkeye
GasGuzzler said:
I'd like another XR3-RED if someone will trade or sell. Guess I need a correct manual too. Woohoo!
You will need to be sure the XR3-RED is correct for the era. The one for your gun will have a casting mark that says "ALCOA G2". Grip frames 1971 and later have a circle DJ trademark and a rollpin for the grip locator.
Chet15

yes, good info,,, and another reason why we simply remove the markings heck you do not even have to take the grip frame off the gun,, the way we do it,,,draw file ( keep it all FLAT) and just over spray the BOTTOM only with something like Alumahyde from Brownells, it WORKS,,,wish I had a nickel for everyone we have done since the mid 1960s 8) :roll:

that is a NICE gun, keep it as original as you can.............. :wink:

hittman

Staff member
rugerguy said:
another reason why we simply remove the markings heck you do not even have to take the grip frame off the gun,, the way we do it,,,draw file ( keep it all FLAT) and just over spray the BOTTOM only with something like Alumahyde from Brownells, it WORKS

that is a NICE gun, keep it as original as you can........

^ THIS! ^

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Aluma-Hyde can came in from Brownell's ... without a spray nozzle.

I have the frame prepped and ready for final back-mask and spray.

Instruction manual should be here tomorrow.

Pics when applicable.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I don't have the pictures yet because I'm not quite done but my letter came in from Ruger.

According to them this is indeed an RSSMX (just like we knew) but it was not shipped until September 1967. That seems very late for a non-dash serial number that starts with 41. Also it was shipped to a dealer in Dallas so it's very likely this Ruger spent its entire life in DFW.

Pics when time allows...

chet15

Hawkeye
GasGuzzler said:
I don't have the pictures yet because I'm not quite done but my letter came in from Ruger.

According to them this is indeed an RSSMX (just like we knew) but it was not shipped until September 1967. That seems very late for a non-dash serial number that starts with 41. Also it was shipped to a dealer in Dallas so it's very likely this Ruger spent its entire life in DFW.

Pics when time allows...

It is pretty late. The factory "seconds" that were high polish and super red frame were shipped out in April 1967, also late. Maybe yours got caught up in that fiasco without anything actually happening to it. As mentioned earlier in this thread, three to five of those purple seconds are known in the 416xxx range. You know... if you were to tell the full serial number, maybe your gun is consecutive to one of those seconds?
Chet15

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Wow...mine is lower numbered than the other three and delivered way later.

I'm wondering if it got "lost" in storage, pushed to the back a few times and then when the hardware wholesaler that eventually got it put in an order, Ruger had to dig for it to fulfill the order?

Here's the completed Social Security Number removal pics...

32229105-463-D-4-F23-AE2-E-4-A289-BA2632-F.jpg

6-D2-FAEEF-9-F3-C-493-E-B0-BB-E8-EA555-EEFA5.jpg

pete44ru

Hunter

Once upon a time, I had an RSSM-W and foolishly sold it. :cry:

I started to regret it a few years later, but couldn't find a replacement.

I was then lucky enough to run across this 1960 version a few years go - And, it's a keeper now.

hhoTTJPl.jpg

UylU65pl.jpg

RSuyOQBl.jpg

I've even made a nice home for it..... ;)

qQ1Qraql.jpg

( I installed a set of medallions in the white SI grips, for Bar-B-Que's :mrgreen: )