RSSMX Found This Weekend (Was Hoping For RSSMW)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovemydals

Buckeye
While out gun shop touring in NorCal on Saturday, before going to a dog show in Vallejo, I found a OM Magnum Single Six, s/n is 352971, with the following features;

"with Single-Six marked cylinder frame, XR3-RED grip frame and steel ejector rod housing."

Per Chad's Book on page 37, it falls within the S/N range 3401xx to 360xxx, possibly making it number eight is this variation. Tomorrow, I will call Ruger Records for varification of it lettering with walnut grips. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Included with this purchase, is the original box marked with the s/n, a .22 LR cylinder in a red felt bag & an instruction manual dated 1958.

lmd

Update: Ruger Records says it letters as a RSSMX, shipped January 1963. Darn! I was really hoping it lettered as a RSSMW. Oh well! However, it fits well in my collection, as I do not have this variation Single-Six Convertible (Type 1 Transition). Is the 1958 dated manual correct for this revolver?

weaselmeatgravy":23syx6fy said:
It sounds like a nice RSSMX.

The rare RSSMW is a single cylinder (not convertible) XR3-RED gun. After switching to the XR3-RED frame, Ruger started using the W to denote single cylinder instead of Walnut grips since the wood grips were standard by then.

Yep to WMG.
Here are 4 different RSSMXs 1 XR-3 Eagle, 1XR-3 RED Eagle, 1 XR-3 non Eagle, and 1 XR-3 RED Non Eagle.

Jim

173-1.jpg

lovemydals

Buckeye
Gary,

I picked up my RSSMX yesterday. I verifed the date on the instruction manual & it reads as 8/1/59. Sorry about the 1958 date. Don't know how I picked up the 1958 date. Oh well!

Dennis C

chet15

Hawkeye
lovemydals":2w38ubqp said:
Gary,

I picked up my RSSMX yesterday. I verifed the date on the instruction manual & it reads as 8/1/59. Sorry about the 1958 date. Don't know how I picked up the 1958 date. Oh well!

Dennis C

Hey, there are different dates on the back of those manuals also (which signify reprint dates of the original 8/1/59 manual). Depends when your gun was shipped of course, but these can read "RP-10M-3-61", "G-5M 7/63" or "G20M 9-63".
Those dated '63 are pretty tough to come by, and I have a feeling yours should be the 3-61 date.
Chet15