Rowen ivory on a Bisley .44Spl

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
I've been in a mad rush the last year or so getting all the ivory I could before the ban went into effect. Looks like I'll be "stuck" at six sets. I say "stuck" because it wasn't so long ago that one set was a pipe dream. I contacted Rob sometime last year and talked about doing some grips for me. Sent him a Bisley 5½" .44Spl and we managed to get it done before the deadline. It turned out beautifully! They're extremely comfortable and the fit is perfect. Rob really went out of his way to make them just right and was a pleasure to deal with. This definitely won't be the last set he does for me. If you guys don't know about Rob, he learned his craft from the master hisself, Roy Fishpaw. Check out his website below.

I can't abide fine ivory on a completely stock sixgun so it will eventually see some custom work. I've already got the Power Custom half cock hammer/trigger kit for it. Thinking about keeping the factory chambering but installing a banded barrel and either full blue with engraving or color case hardened without engraving. Tough choice. ;)

http://www.rowencustomgrips.com

IMG_7535b.jpg

IMG_7542b.jpg

Beautiful set up Craig! I just got my first set of grips from Rob a couple of weeks ago and it obvious he had his eyes Z d ears open when spent time in Roy's shop. I wish I had commissioned a set of ivory bisley grips before our exalted leader pushed the recent ban. I sleep better at night knowing that his actions are making all the ivory poachers see the light and switch to knitting for a living.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Robb Barnes said:
Beautiful set up Craig! I just got my first set of grips from Rob a couple of weeks ago and it obvious he had his eyes Z d ears open when spent time in Roy's shop. I wish I had commissioned a set of ivory bisley grips before our exalted leader pushed the recent ban. I sleep better at night knowing that his actions are making all the ivory poachers see the light and switch to knitting for a living.
He was definitely paying attention! I was wanting some Dall sheep horn real bad but decided I better get all the ivory I could. It's just a hell of a shame these stupid regulations that get passed to placate the animal rights nuts but won't actually do anything for the problem. I still wanted to get some carved with a steer head or Mexican eagle but so much for that. I had Jack do me two sets of grips for my .500, one in ivory, the other in antique ivory micarta. I may have the micarta scrimshawed with some African critters since it's too late for carved ivory.

Stay tuned for a couple more elephant tooth goodies once it all gets put together. Which reminds me, I've got a brown elephant rig to build!

hdxr750

Single-Sixer
My pick is Barrel Band, CCH and Full Blue. It's just the way I like them, You may not. It's your Revolver, looks Great so Far.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Very nice grips. Hard to beat a nice set of ivories. Thanks for the link it's a nice place to gloat.